Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:25 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Taurus snubbies 
 Post subject: Taurus snubbies
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:28 pm 

Does anyone here have any experience with the little Taurus 5 shot revolvers? I saw a couple blued ones at a gun store for 199.Does this seem like a good price to anyone else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:33 pm 
1911 tainted

Seems like a really good price to me, but you did not mention if it is new or used, 38 or 357. I have an older model with a bobbed hammer in .38 special that I got from phorvick for my daughter, but to tell you the truth we haven't shot it enough to give an honest opinion, but it does seem well made.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

My wife has a 38 Special, Taurus 85, Ultra light, with rosewood grips and a vented barrel. :o

Kicks like a mule, but she LOVES it. It sure is a pretty, little piece. 8)

Paid $399.00 plus tax for it on 05/01/2003.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:50 pm 

they had several new ones at that price,they were .38's,without the porting,steel not the ultralight,with hammer,blued frames.I was thinking , why chance looking for a good deal on a used da revolver when for 200 bucks I can get a new one,I just want to hear others' experiences first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

The gun in my avitar is a Taurus revolver. In fact it's my carry gun. It's not a snubby but it's performed well for me and I would buy another one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:02 am 

I've got a stainless steel taurus 38 that I'm trying to find a holster that I like. I paid $250+tax this spring. The only thing I don't like is the grips seem to enhance the recoil. If I change the grips to pachmayr compacs it all goes away. But they are a bit large for pocket carry, hence the reason that I usually have the factory 2 finger grips on. The only other mod I've done is to remove the hammer spur.

I've also had a chance to play a little with a taurus M605 (small frame 357, steel). It has the 3 finger rubber factory grip on it. It feels much better when shooting, even if I'm using magnum rounds.

If I had $200 to spare and saw a new or lightly used one around I'd grab it.

Steelheart

Post subject: Re: Taurus snubbies
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:29 am 
The Man

dcwn.45 wrote:
Does anyone here have any experience with the little Taurus 5 shot revolvers? I saw a couple blued ones at a gun store for 199.Does this seem like a good price to anyone else?
It's a good price. I've had Tauruses, and like them. I like S&Ws a bit better, but it's just personal preference -- I wouldn't, for a moment, turn up my nose at the Taurus 85.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have had several Taurii...currently have two model 85's (and one is for sale). They are very nice, although I have not shot the lightweight models.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:10 pm 

The Taurus snubbies are great guns. I have a 605C (ported .357) that I enjoy shooting quite a bit. I plan on having the hammer bobbed because I use it for pocket carry. I shoot it acceptably well double action and surprisingly well single action. I can bang a four-inch gong at 20-25 yards all day long, which is plenty good for a carry gun. I like the trigger better than any recent-model J-frame S&W I've shot, and it costs a lot less than a Smith. If you want a revolver to carry, you'd be hard pressed to find a better way to spend $200.

Bristol’s Bastards: In Iraq with the 2nd Battalion, 136th Infantry of Minnesota’s National Guard: Bravo Company of Minnesota’s National Guard fought alongside the Marine Corp in Al Anbar province through the deadliest period of Operation Iraqi Freedom, kicking down doors, dodging IEDs, battling insurgents, and trying to help one another survive in the deadliest place on earth. Available in bookstores everywhere. For autographed copies, visit bristolsbastards.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:42 pm 

I also have a Taurus 605 .357 mag. It's my "car" gun. I was kind of skeptical before I fired it, expecting lousy groups from it. Boy, was I mistaken! I always read where short or snub-nosed revolvers were very inaccurate, but the 605 was more accurate than 4" barrelled guns that I have owned. I think it is a "sleeper". Top it off with Taurus' lifetime repair policy, and I don't think you can go wrong!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:39 pm 

I've got a stainless 605 also. I've found the grips to be soft yet recoil absorbing but they like to twist out of position. If I were to carry it I would need a holster and different grips. Nice size and has the dual caliber advantage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:45 am 

I have a Taurus 85 Ultralight. It shoots good. No problems. $259.00 new

I shot my taurus 617 Ti at the burnsville range last night. Started with a couple of boxes of 38's. Then got into a box of full power .357's. They state that the muzzle energy is 720 Lbs. These puppy's rocked. Huge flash. Very loud. Very fun :D
The gun didn't jamb but I had to tap the ejector pretty good to get the spent casings out after it heated up.
I know it's a waste of good gun powder but it's just so much fun.
Oscar Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:55 am 
Longtime Regular

If any of you here have bobbed hammer Tauri would you kindly post some pictures? I'm thinking of habving it done and have another thread on it here:
http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... php?t=2496

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:05 am 

I would like to see pics too. I'm kind of new to guns and was thinking about trying out one without the hammer. I would be interserted in a light weight small .357. Mostly practice with 38's though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

Taurus has very nice pictures on their web site...

DA only revolver

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.