Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:08 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Small revolver recommendation 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:58 am 

that sounds like a good deal. Wonder how much they are at Sportsman wearhouse is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

A 638 with Crissom Trace Laser Grip and +P ammo is a trouble free package.

It always goes bang, even when dirty, shoots accuratly even when not held in front of your face, and conceals easy.

No "neglegent discharges" either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

What is the proper procedure to lower the hammer of a SW 638?

To lower the hammer of a standard cocked hammered gun, one is to insert the weak hand thumb between the hammer and the frame. Then apply slight pressure to the spur of the hammer with the strong hand thumb while pulling the trigger to disengage the spur. When one feels the spur disengage, lower the hammer slightly, release the trigger, lower the hammer fully while removing the weak hand thumb.

Having the weak thumb in place catches the hammer if it slips out of the strong hand thumb while the trigger is held. Works for guns with transfer bars or hammer blocks if the hammer slips while the trigger is still held.

How does one block the 683 hammer if it slips from the thumb (and before the trigger is released) while decocking? Put the weak hand thumb in the small recess on the 638?

I never really had a student ask me this yet.

Any SW 638 owners have procedure?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yes I have a 638 and I love the option of the shrouded hammer. It is true you wouldn't want to cock the hammer all day long as there isn't a lot there.
It is the same for the de-cocking, but it is not all that difficult. I have always cocked and de-cocked a revolver with my off hand and this pistol is no different.I swapped the Crimson trace grips off my 642 and put them on this pistol and have never looked back.
I have a 640 which is the hammerless 357, but in stainless and wish I had bought the 649. Well maybe someday.
I did see that Cabellas add and I do believe that is a pretty good price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

DeCocking is tricky. Don't cock it and assume you can just pull the trigger and slow the descent of the hammer with your thumb. That's the one thing I don't like about it. But if you DON"T cock it, no problem.

Take two hands to decock and take your time. An instructor showed me, and there are apparently no shortcuts here. I've practiced this quite a bit. With one hand you often get a discharge.

Don't cock it indoors or in town.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.