Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:52 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Anyone own a Colt Anaconda? 
 Post subject: Anyone own a Colt Anaconda?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:15 am 
Forum Moderator

Do you like it? How do you think it compares with S&W Model 29s/629s?

I have a 29 I like so much I'm looking for another .44.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:30 am 
Longtime Regular

I have one, don't have a 629 or 29 to compare it to. :cry:

Had to send it in to have the sights adjusted, but other then that... It's a revolver... Goes bang everytime. Jumps a bit, but its controllable, although when I run Corbon 305's throught it, it is down right pleasureable to shoot. Pack it with me deer hunting, and other places "outdoors" when my 40cal just isn't quite enough gun.

Best part about it... I paid about $600 for it NIB, I think they are worth around $1200 now, so it has appreciated nicely! :D

Funny, I keep thinking of getting something "bigger", thinking 500 Mag, but the trouble of finding "another" holster, and all the other stuff is daunting, not to mention, I can afford to shoot the 44 sometimes, not sure if I would want to given the price of 500 mag rounds.

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:17 am 
Forum Moderator

mostlylawabidingcitizen wrote:
I have one, don't have a 629 or 29 to compare it to. :cry:

Had to send it in to have the sights adjusted, but other then that... It's a revolver... Goes bang everytime. Jumps a bit, but its controllable, although when I run Corbon 305's throught it, it is down right pleasureable to shoot. Pack it with me deer hunting, and other places "outdoors" when my 40cal just isn't quite enough gun.

Best part about it... I paid about $600 for it NIB, I think they are worth around $1200 now, so it has appreciated nicely! :D

Funny, I keep thinking of getting something "bigger", thinking 500 Mag, but the trouble of finding "another" holster, and all the other stuff is daunting, not to mention, I can afford to shoot the 44 sometimes, not sure if I would want to given the price of 500 mag rounds.

Mostly-

It's gotten somewhat mixed reviews from a quality perspective on the S&W site, at least in comparison to Smiths, when I posted about it. The downside to their "no longer made" collector's status is that they're more expensive to buy and probably fix, at least relative to buying a current or past production full-lug S&W 629.

I do, however, like the looks of the Anaconda, and there's something to be said for its hard-to-come-by status.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:52 pm 

Though I'd love a 4" Python... :D I had a buddy who owned an Anaconda (45 Colt in memory serves) about the time I had a really nice (never shoulda sold it :bang: ) 629.
Side by side they are both damn nice guns, but I'd give the nod to the 629.

Post subject: Re: Anyone own a Colt Anaconda?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:29 pm 
The Man

mobocracy wrote:

I've shot one a couple of times, but never owned one.

Another option is the Ruger Redhawk -- I've got one that was cut down for carry; it's got a 3" barrel, and the hammer was bobbed. The SWAT cop who sold it to me (well, actually, it went through an FFL dealer, but pretty quickly), named it "the Flare Gun", and when it goes off . . .

I've actually been thinking about selling it -- and a couple of other things -- to finance the H&K P7 that I really, really want . . .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
mobocracy wrote:

Another option is the Ruger Redhawk -- I've got one that was cut down for carry; it's got a 3" barrel, and the hammer was bobbed. The SWAT cop who sold it to me (well, actually, it went through an FFL dealer, but pretty quickly), named it "the Flare Gun", and when it goes off . . .

I've actually been thinking about selling it -- and a couple of other things -- to finance the H&K P7 that I really, really want . . .

Joel:

Let me know if you decide to sell this. I know someone who is looking for something like this.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
-- to finance the H&K P7 that I really, really want . . .

Looking at the early P7 or the P7M8? Either way, they look to be a fantastic carry gun option. Also a cool logo, Image and a fun to say name! How could you go wrong!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:30 pm 

jac714 wrote:
joelr wrote:
mobocracy wrote:

Joel:

Let me know if you decide to sell this. I know someone who is looking for something like this.

DITTO!

Put me on the list for your list please!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:55 pm 
The Man

KonaSeven wrote:
joelr wrote:

Looking at the early P7 or the P7M8?
Well, if all things were equal, I'd go for the P7M8, but since I don't think that fast mag changes are important, I'll probably -- eventually -- end up with an older P7.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

KonaSeven wrote:
joelr wrote:

Looking at the early P7 or the P7M8? Either way, they look to be a fantastic carry gun option. Also a cool logo, Image and a fun to say name! How could you go wrong!

We happen to have some of the last batch of P7M8 "AG code" pistols to be imported into the country. NIB and on sale for 1250.00

PM me for more info

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

KonaSeven wrote:
joelr wrote:

At our club matches in Germany, we used to hand out the HK pins to someone that hit their first no shoot as the "Hostage Killer" award.
The local rep didn't like it, especially when we gave him one.....LOL

Joel, go the whole hog and buy the M13, you'll not regret it. Mine is my main carry gun and I have over 150,000 rounds through it with 3 malfunctions and it's still a tack driver.
:D :D :lol: :lol: :D :D

Edit,

If you'd like to test it, give me a call and we can arrange some range time.

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Last edited by Selurcspi on Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:33 am 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
KonaSeven wrote:
joelr wrote:

Looking at the early P7 or the P7M8?
Well, if all things were equal, I'd go for the P7M8, but since I don't think that fast mag changes are important, I'll probably -- eventually -- end up with an older P7.

Great choice either way. Seems like used ones, at a dealer, command premium prices. (premium handgun, might be why? :) )

Oh, let's see.... Back to the Anaconda!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:51 am 

A friend of mine has one and he loves it! I would love to have one. It is an awesome revolver! They are so spendy right now. My father has a Python and he loves it also. I am going to have to look into the S&W 629's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:44 pm 
On time out

I had one and it was a product of one of Colt's many tribulations. The list of what was wrong with that pistol was far longer than what was right.

Lets just say that after I bought it, i ended up spending all of time and postage getting it sent back about 4 times until it was good enough for me to feel i could sell it with a clear conscience.

I had special ordered it, as they were getting scarce and I thought it would be a gun that might make some money sitting around. it cost me enough that I was far from even when I sold it.

Problems...

The barrel shroud was cut too short and it was then tightened past "vertical", that is, when the gun was held up, the front sight pointed off to the side a bit.

The grips did not fit the frame at all, Granted they were rubber but there was a dimes worth of space between the tops and the frame.

the double action pull was at least 15 pounds. I had a 10 pound trigger scale and that did not trip it, adding a five pound barbell wieght would get it to trip if you sort of gave it a tug.

the single action pull was about 6 pounds, creepy, gritty and with no feel of impending letoff.

The top edge along the rear sight was as sharp as a knife, no deburring or radiusing at all. If you carried it in the holster, it would slice your shirt and arm.

The hammer had burrs on the sides of it that were like barbed wire.

The cylinder had two chambers that would hold empties in them and leave mongo scratches on fired cases. a really firm smack on the ejector rod was needed to break fired cases loose.

I forgot to add that the crane was somehow bent and it took a firm wallop on the cylinder to open once the gun had been fired. if you did not shoot it, it would open fine, but shoot a round it would set back a hair and that was all it took to bind. My brother called it a three handed gun to open, you needed one to hold it, one to push the heavy latch spring back and a third to give the cylinder a palm smack to open

I also bought in the same deal a Colts DS in 3 shrouded barrel that they let go for a song. I think it was a closeout from Hicks for something like 200 bucks, My mom still has that gun, it had a sweet trigger pull, nicely fitted magna grips, and better than the usual sights. I think that gun was under 6 pounds for DA and right at 3 for single action.

Once i got all that work taken care off. the gun worked well, and actually was capable of decent accuracy. I would make sure i looked one over with a fine tooth comb and a good magnifying lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:10 am 

1911fan wrote:
I had one and it was a product of one of Colt's many tribulations. The list of what was wrong with that pistol was far longer than what was right.

Lets just say that after I bought it, i ended up spending all of time and postage getting it sent back about 4 times until it was good enough for me to feel i could sell it with a clear conscience.

I had special ordered it, as they were getting scarce and I thought it would be a gun that might make some money sitting around. it cost me enough that I was far from even when I sold it.

Problems...

The barrel shroud was cut too short and it was then tightened past "vertical", that is, when the gun was held up, the front sight pointed off to the side a bit.

The grips did not fit the frame at all, Granted they were rubber but there was a dimes worth of space between the tops and the frame.

the double action pull was at least 15 pounds. I had a 10 pound trigger scale and that did not trip it, adding a five pound barbell wieght would get it to trip if you sort of gave it a tug.

the single action pull was about 6 pounds, creepy, gritty and with no feel of impending letoff.

The top edge along the rear sight was as sharp as a knife, no deburring or radiusing at all. If you carried it in the holster, it would slice your shirt and arm.

The hammer had burrs on the sides of it that were like barbed wire.

The cylinder had two chambers that would hold empties in them and leave mongo scratches on fired cases. a really firm smack on the ejector rod was needed to break fired cases loose.

I forgot to add that the crane was somehow bent and it took a firm wallop on the cylinder to open once the gun had been fired. if you did not shoot it, it would open fine, but shoot a round it would set back a hair and that was all it took to bind. My brother called it a three handed gun to open, you needed one to hold it, one to push the heavy latch spring back and a third to give the cylinder a palm smack to open

I also bought in the same deal a Colts DS in 3 shrouded barrel that they let go for a song. I think it was a closeout from Hicks for something like 200 bucks, My mom still has that gun, it had a sweet trigger pull, nicely fitted magna grips, and better than the usual sights. I think that gun was under 6 pounds for DA and right at 3 for single action.

Once i got all that work taken care off. the gun worked well, and actually was capable of decent accuracy. I would make sure i looked one over with a fine tooth comb and a good magnifying lens.

Wow...sounds like you had a lemon! That is too bad! I had never heard of such issues with the anaconda.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.