Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:51 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Idle thoughts: perfect niche custom handgun 
 Post subject: Idle thoughts: perfect niche custom handgun
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:37 pm 
The Man

I've been thinking winnowing the collection of late -- not because I've got anything I want to get rid of, particularly, but to finance getting some of the niche guns that I really would like, or customizing a couple of things I do have.

Probably the most likely candidate for customization is a cheap gun -- my Bulldog .44 Special. For a non-lightweight snubby, it's just about perfect -- only a little larger than a J-Frame. On the other hand, the one that I've got is cosmetically horrible -- cracked grip, scratches, and blued, and while the trigger's okay, it's no great shakes.

So: trigger job, brass/gold dot front sight, chamber chamfer, SW style cylinder release, new grips, nickel plating . . . Cylinder & Slide the way to go, or anybody got some better nominations?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:42 pm 

Robar does have some nice gun finishes. I don't have a link right now at work(prohibited web site).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:45 pm 
The Man

pezhead wrote:
Robar does have some nice gun finishes. I don't have a link right now at work(prohibited web site).
I wouldn't be comfortable about doing business with them; I've heard a horror story that turned me off the company, despite all the good things I've heard.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:49 pm 

Thank you for the info. I haven't had any experience with them just what I've read.
It's always good advice to check a company out before doing business with them i.e. references.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:08 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

I know a guy - he has a mill - he has the know how - we have the technology.

We can rebuild it - we can make it stronger - faster - and darn it - pretty too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:45 pm 

Yeah - and turn it into a 1911 to boot :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'd contact Mag-Na-Port in Michigan. They do all sorts of fine revolver work besides porting.

http://www.magnaport.com/misc.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:45 pm 
On time out

Quite frankly, the guys at Ahlmans in morristown are as good as any and far less expensive. All of the experiences i have had with them are good and so far they have been utterly reliable as business people, of course you might just ask Palmer out in St Bonis who he thinks is good.

If you want to send it away, EVO gun works is really good, as is bill laughridge of C&S. Bill worked on a hipower i used to own and it was good a work as i have seen.

I too would stay away from anything in berryville Ark and the robar companies too. I have heard some very disheartening stories from both places.

on this forum they seem to think this guy does good work
http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/vie ... php?t=4135

Also try this
http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=132

Hope this helps....

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.