Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:19 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 New Glock 36 but was looking for a PT145. 
 Post subject: New Glock 36 but was looking for a PT145.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:09 am 

I just bought this Glock 36 but was originally looking for a S.S. Taurus PT145SSP which is a 3" barreled .45 cal 10 round Semi Auto.
I could only find one PT145 but it was in blue and the slide release was broke. Find it hard to believe a store would leave such a pistol on the samples rack in that condition for people to look at.
Anyway after compairing both the Glock 36 and Taurus PT145 side by side I found that the barrel on the Glock to be about 1/2" longer and the handle about 1/2" shorter. I like a short handle. I feel it hides better under a shirt.
Of course you give up 4 rounds and spend $225.00 more for the Glock.
I did take it to the range and shot 100 rounds of 230 grain ball the same day.
I had one stove pipe and the rest were fine.
I'm hoping it was a limp wrist or just a break in deal.
I knew of some problems with the earlier Glock 36's before I bought this.
I'll keep you updated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:51 am 
Longtime Regular

I almost bought one of those before I bought my XD40 sub-compact. I was torn because the Lakeville Gander Mt. had the Glock in the clearance rack at a pretty good price ($459) that was hard to pass on. I just didn't like the plastic sights and the plastic trigger. I'm sure they do the job but a plastic frame is enough for me. Sometimes I still wish I had bought it. I also don't like the fact that the only safety is on the trigger. I know the best safety is between the ears but the added grip safety on the XD gives me a little more peace of mind.

I would take the Glock over the Taurus for sure. Good luck with your new "Baby". There have been many good reviews on the G36.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:00 am 

Ramoel,
I know people that share the same feelings on the Glocks as you. I understand you need what you want.
I'm a Plastics engineer so I may be bias on the use of them.
Glock has Three safety's from what they say. I like the fact that you only have to pull the trigger to make it go boom. As long as you have one in the barrel of course.
I have only read positive things on the Xd's. Sounds like they are loved by a lot of people!! I'll have to fondle one and see what's so likable.
Oscar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:37 am 

As the world turns?
In this next episode I find that I'm not the only one who bought a G36 and has FTE problems at a rate of three per 50 rounds.
I hear that one of Glocks fixes is to wedge a piece of cardboard behind the magazine to suck up that slop. Now it should work fine?

Another one is to shoot a thosand rounds thru it to break it in.

Another is to shoot only hot ammo. No WWB or UMC or any of that weinnie American crud.

Apparently the only people that can shoot one of these without limpwristing are the people lucky enough to get a good one.
I can shoot a Keltec P3AT, G26,G27,G33, Cobra Patriot .45 ( which is also a 20 oz. pistol. ) I can shiot these and more without limpsristing.

Would it be worth a try to get the dealer to send it back for repairs so I don't have to pay for it? Is that unreasonable?

Oscar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:37 am 
Delicate Flower

Glock will repair free of charge............you are responsible to get it there. Whine a little and maybe the dealer will ship it for you NC.

List the problem(s) and request an inspection/upgrade........mine took about 3 wks total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

ttousi wrote:
Glock will repair free of charge............you are responsible to get it there. Whine a little and maybe the dealer will ship it for you NC.

List the problem(s) and request an inspection/upgrade........mine took about 3 wks total.

What Glock won't cover shipping for fixing their gun? Another reason not to buy a Glock for me... :roll:

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:18 am 

A few pics of last night.
50/UMC
50/CCI Brass
50/WWB hollow points
the problem rounds were 1 of each CCI and UMC.
WWB were all fine.
The barrel has a nick and burr top part closest the camera.
Oscar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:59 am 
Longtime Regular

Does it occur with one magazine or with all of them? It may be as simple as replacing a mag.

Check your extractor for crud.

Does it occur with the first round in the magazine? Maybe try loading one less in the mag until the spring is broken in.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:08 am 

Thanks for the tips.
Yes the 1st round I shot was a bad one. The next was in the middle of the next brand of ammo.
I did mark the mags #1 & #2 but buy the time I went to look at which one I had that marker came off. Guess it was not a permenent marker DUH!!
I will have to do this all over again because of that.
I did take one mag apart to check for crud. Nothing there.
I will try the load one short and remark the mags. to see.
The hollow points did seem to have a little more zip to them. I heard someone say the G36 likes hotter loads. maybe something to that?
Anyway 2 outa 150 is better than the last time but still not near good enough.
I'll post again after I get more facts.
Thanks,
Oscar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:41 am 
Longtime Regular

Your extractor is built into the right hand side of the slide near the ejection port and looks something like this:

Check for gunk underneath the hook. Also next time one fails, check the case rim for damage to see if maybe the extractor was working OK, but maybe the case was stuck in the chamber and the extractor just tore through the rim.

Some people recommend putting a drop of oil on top of the first round in the magazine. In theory, this can cause an inadvertent and undesirable increase in pressure.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hmm... Makes me think that my choice of the XD was pretty good after all. I have two XD's and both have been flawless with plenty of shooting. I can't make them fail by limpwristing either. Tried hard, they won't do it.

I can make my 1911's and Walther's fail by limpwristing, Walther much easier to limpwrist than 1911.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:41 am 

I just got her back from Glock. Sportsman wearhouse sent it back for me. No charge.
I'll try to get over to burnsville tonight and put a couple hundred rounds thru it.
If it still sucks. I'm trading the turd in for something else.
I still have the Taurus Millenium Pro to shoot .45.
Oscar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:29 pm 

Shot over 150 rounds of four different brands of ammo last night without a hitch.
Looks like they fixed it.
I'll have to do it again just to make sure.
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm curious,did they clean up the burr on your barrel or replace it? I was at Bill's north shooting one afternoon and someone brought a rental to the counter that had a piece broken out of a 36 ( I think ) in the same spot and it wouldn't eject spent cases.Ryan thought it might have been a heat treating problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:21 am 

No new barrel. I still have the burr. After shooting both the Glock 36 and the Taurus pt145 mill pro I have to say the Taurus feels better in the hand. Mostly in the trigger.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.