Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Hand cannons! 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:57 am 
Longtime Regular

Old Dude wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

..un-fixed it for you, sorry.
Now where are we going to sit and have that drink.... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

Old Dude wrote:
And as for analyzing the wants/needs of others....well, we have a fairly lengthy thread in one of the forums on Nancy Pelosi's airplane in which many have weighed in--analyzing her wants/needs.

Me? I neither want nor need a hand cannon. If others are willing to put up with the expense, the weight and the recoil from one, cool. Bill's South has a nice little area with tables and chairs where I can sit and have a Coke and chat with the staff until the artillery leaves.

They also have a Police / Rifle bay where the staff could be encouraged to put the hand cannons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

Old Dude wrote:
And as for analyzing the wants/needs of others....well, we have a fairly lengthy thread in one of the forums on Nancy Pelosi's airplane in which many have weighed in--analyzing her wants/needs.

Me? I neither want nor need a hand cannon. If others are willing to put up with the expense, the weight and the recoil from one, cool. Bill's South has a nice little area with tables and chairs where I can sit and have a Coke and chat with the staff until the artillery leaves.

Totally different beast (no I'm not talking about Nancy!) only her choice. My personal choices funded by my personal funds is totally different then anothers personal choices funded by my (and many others) personal funds. The idea of someone paying for their groceries with food stamps and then buying dog and cat food with cash bothers me to no end.

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:48 pm 
On time out

Well i guess my attempt at sarcasm flew like the proverbial lead balloon.

I see plenty of uses for them out in the field, indoor ranges, I see them as manhood enhancers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:55 pm 

So now you're picking on the fat balloons with special needs. You need help. It's not their fault, damn you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
They also have a Police / Rifle bay where the staff could be encouraged to put the hand cannons.

The guys I know who own and rent them usually ask for the rifle bay because they want to shoot the longer distance. The staff has some sort of obscure Byzantine-Masonic handshake code that you need to know in order to be able to use the rifle bay. Sometimes they allow it, sometimes they don't.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
plblark wrote:

The guys I know who own and rent them usually ask for the rifle bay because they want to shoot the longer distance. The staff has some sort of obscure Byzantine-Masonic handshake code that you need to know in order to be able to use the rifle bay. Sometimes they allow it, sometimes they don't.

You know, I like the people at Bill's North more and more ... I always recognize them, they always recognize me. Unless there's a class, a reservation, or some reason they try to accommodate everyone's needs. If they can't, they explain and make the best of it for me. They do this for everyone I've seen ask.

Perhaps I need to hang out at Bill's South more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

The only time I ever went into the rifle/police bay, other than when phorvick and I teach classes, is once when I showed up with a Springfield 1903. Other than that, I've been in the main area when someone was shooting an M1 Garand, a shotgun as previously mentioned, and full-auto. In fairness, I should say that the full-auto folks were at one end--lane 16. I have shot my AK in the regular lanes--and gotten some ugly looks from other patrons.

Post subject: 50's indoors??
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:52 pm 

Well DUUUHHHH??? You have to be lacking a little common sense and needing to compensate for some "shortcomings" if you want to shoot a 50 indoors. I did it once at Bill's with my 50 DE and will never do it again, because of the revirb, lost brass, and general unpleasantness to other people.

I have been shooting a 50 DE for 5 years, a S&W 500 for a year and a half, and for me it's great exercise. After you shoot a S&W 500 for 50 rounds, you can shoot ANYTHING else without flinching AT ALL. That's worth a lot, and I can shoot my 50 GI, my 45 Super, or my 10mm with absolutely NO doubts at all.

Recoil and flinch are ONLY an issue for he MOST powerful handgun you own. Second place is no big deal.

Post subject: Re: 50's indoors??
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:20 am 
Longtime Regular

Seismic Sam wrote:
Well DUUUHHHH??? ... and for me it's great exercise.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Lifting them... dragging them, and ammo into the range... Builds strong shoulder muscles!

:lol:

Mostly-

Post subject: Exercise??
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:18 pm 

The carrying the load is NOTHING compared to shooting 50 rounds one handed with a 5.5 lb handgun with 325 grain bullets going 1700+ FPS. The S&W 500 isn't so much a handgun as a season pass on the tilt-a-whirl at the county fair. You just hang on and enjoy the ride.

Post subject: Re: Exercise??
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:23 pm 
Delicate Flower

Seismic Sam wrote:
The S&W 500 isn't so much a handgun as a season pass on the tilt-a-whirl at the county fair. You just hang on and enjoy the ride.

Amen to that !
And shake your head in disbelief after the first time you shoot one ! :shock: One Handed ? Not this boy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Exercise??
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:36 am 
Longtime Regular

Seismic Sam wrote:
The carrying the load is NOTHING compared to shooting 50 rounds one handed with a 5.5 lb handgun with 325 grain bullets going 1700+ FPS. The S&W 500 isn't so much a handgun as a season pass on the tilt-a-whirl at the county fair. You just hang on and enjoy the ride.

It's best if you wear a mouthguard, so you can bite down hard and keep your fillings in place..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:59 am 

Its funny to me that some of you folks here sound like my gun hating sister. "You have a handgun, well what are you trying to compensate for?"

The thing is folks while they may be difficult to fire next to on the range, its the individuals right to own and operate that weapon in a safe and responsible manner where it is legal to do so. Also, just for the wow factor, they are cool! When I was in the army no one wanted to shoot the M-16's they all wanted to shoot the M-60 or the 50 cal, or go watch the impact area for the mortors and the artillary. Its inherent in all humans to want to go bigger and faster. So why put someone down for their likes or curiosity? Aren't we as permit holders looking for acceptence in a somewhat hostile environment?

And yes I own a hand cannon. A Ruger super redhawk in 454. I have never shot it indoors, but next time I head to the range I think I'll take the ol deer slayer in to destroy a few paper badguys. Wish I knew of an indoor range that had targets available out to 150 meters.
Peace,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:32 am 
Longtime Regular

Maybe some of you folks could get a hold of those signs they use during golf tournaments. Quiet please,I'm going to shoot my 9mm and all that noise is just sooo distracting. It's a gun range!
As long as I'm at it, for the folks that want us to shoot our hand cannons during the day in the middle of the week, have you come up with anyone else you would like to have off the range? :lol: I'm thinking maybe those annoying short people. :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.