Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Hand cannons! 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:27 am 
Longtime Regular

What is the model? might need to bring that into my ring of possibility. Is that a 29 with extra pretty grips or what? It makes me drool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:03 am 
Longtime Regular

You'll certainly be welcome on to the range if I'm there.
The argument as to whether you need a 44magnum for stopping power has been beat to death so I won't even hit on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

It's a S&W 629-6 "Trail Boss". It's got a 3" barrel, not ported and has pretty good recoil. The grips are Ahrends. I've also got basically the same gun without the internal lock and 4" barrel, a 629-5. It always seems much larger although it really isn't.

The concussion because of the short barrel is the most disturbing thing when you shoot it. I've never shot it without ear muffs, it would probably make your ears ring for a few days.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject: Re: 50's indoors??
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

Seismic Sam wrote:
I have been shooting a 50 DE for 5 years, a S&W 500 for a year and a half, and for me it's great exercise. After you shoot a S&W 500 for 50 rounds, you can shoot ANYTHING else without flinching AT ALL. That's worth a lot, and I can shoot my 50 GI, my 45 Super, or my 10mm with absolutely NO doubts at all.

Recoil and flinch are ONLY an issue for he MOST powerful handgun you own. Second place is no big deal.

This is exactly right! When my .44 Magnum Model 29 was still pretty new to me, I brought it and my .45 1911 to the range. After 3 boxes of magnums in the 29, I pulled out the 1911 and just about peed my pants laughing -- it was like shooting a .22!

I seriously wonder why "they" don't have new shooters do a "starter" course of fire of maybe 10-20 rounds of .22LR just to "feel" what its like and then 50 rounds of .357 Mag or something pretty heavy and then down to something saner like 9mm. Heavy recoil really does eliminate flinch and improve trigger pull.

I will admit to occasionally loading the lightest bullets I can in a given caliber with the slowest powder I can find for the express purpose of making "boomers". But really half the fun is seeing how accurate you can get with heavy loads. I managed to get to the point where I could consistently make 3" groups @ 75 ft with the Model 29.

I'd love a .50 AE (I've shot MnBUD's), but can never quite get myself around to paying the freight for one. My next-closest-thing is trying to chase down an AMT Automag III in .30 Carbine. I'm told that despite the relatively wimpy .30 Carbine round, they are the loud as hell and generally shoot a fireball due to most ammo being loaded with rifle powders (slow powders are still burning when leaving the muzzle).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:55 pm 
On time out

Used to be a guy by the name of chris who worked at the old outdoorsman. He bought/borrowed a 50 DE or a 44DE and took a fine young lass to the old whipermann range at braemar.

the first shot drew sparks from the floor, the second jangled the target holder and the third cut the target wire. needless to say fine young lass was impressed, and range officer was ready to kill him.

I really do not have a lot of problems with big boomers indoors as long as I do not have to stand next to them. I do have a problem when the shooter is a new shooter and there is clear intent to disturb the new shooter by blasting away, or to somehow "impress" the new shooter by your ability to hang on to a big gun.

My daughter can shoot my .44's no problem and my wife has shot 325 gr .45 Colts at 1250, she does not beg me to do it again. Loading flash rounds is fun, but really only to the people in on it.

The gamesmanship of the german hunting pistol is humorous and working within the rules

I took a young woman i worked with shooting a few months ago in hopes of getting her to carry as she had a loser ex who was getting a bit brave. WE were at armored fired/bills north and we were just starting out, the guy next to us all of sudden realized there was a petite pretty asian girl next to him who was obviously learning, Away went his Makarov or similar and out came a .357 8 inch 686. The girl just had a melt down. it was too much for her. I asked him to go back to the other gun, as it was bothering her, and he just laughed. I asked her if she wanted to shoot more and she shook her head. It took me a long time to get her back to shooting.

that is my only real complaint in r/t about big guns in small places, they make it hard to teach.

Post subject: I just don't like shooting 50's indoors..
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:14 pm 

First, you have all this metal and machinery right above the gun and your head, so you have to worry about the recoil of the gun.

Secondly, I just can't get past the point about feeling rude and inconsiderate in shooting a DE or S&W indoors next to somebody, and I don't like the noise that much myself. Outdoors at Oakdale they have an insulated overhang on the 25 yard range that is AMAZING at soaking up noise, and you can shoot a 500 there and it sounds like a 44.

And BTW - just for giggles I have run a few cylinders of 500 S&W ammo through my gun two handed at 21 feet RAPID FIRE - You can keep the shots on a standard torso target if you practice, and it's one hell of a ride!!! Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:57 am 

I haven't shot it yet. But Im guessing you don't want me to bring to your indoor range.
Just got it yesterday. $500.00 with a holster and a 1/2 a box of bullets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:07 am 
Forum Moderator

oscarswanson wrote:
I haven't shot it yet. But Im guessing you don't want me to bring to your indoor range.

I think the solution is a minimum shot requirement. If you're going to blast your cannon, you have to shoot a minimum of 50 consecutive rounds. This will keep the dilettantes and noisemakers who don't really like all the recoil out of the picture, as well as punishing those who do. :)

I was going to suggest an accuracy requirement, too, since the last guy I saw blazing away on a .50 AE Desert Eagle was shooting patterns wider than the skeet choke in my shotgun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

oscarswanson wrote:

1/2 box of bullets? Did it come with 1/2 bottle of asprin too? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:20 am 

Actually it came with a box and a half of Hornady 240 grain. The box says 1900 FPS but I'm sure it doesn't reach that out of the short barrel.
It also came with a holster and a bag and of course the original Ruger box.
All that was Saturday.
I saw the Guy Sunday too. He sold me a Kimber CDP ultra 3", like new, With a nice holster for $600.00. Hard to beat that. :D
Oscar

Post subject: Well, I did it anyway
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:10 am 

Despite my previous statements about shooting the big stuff indoors, I would up at Bill's North along with a bunch of othere tcc'ers after breakfast last month, and I bought a 45 Super Springfield V-16 longslide and my Smith 500, plus the usual 50 in my waistband.

Seeing as there was 45 brass scattered all over the place, shooting the 45 Super would mean that I would lose the whole box of brass because I coundn't pick it out from all the other 45 stuff. The only choice was the Smith 500, loaded with "midrange" loads, which are 26 grains of Alcan 8 going about 1400 FPS with Ranier 335 grain plated bullets.

If I stood at the right side of the lane the metal track wasn't above my head, so I went through 50 rounds as usual, and there were two young guys to the right of me who were thoroughly yocking it up about the noise and the concussion that was rolling over them. Looking at their mags, (looked like 21 rounders with extended baseplates) they mave have been IPSC shooters. For the last 4 strings I went to shooting one handed, and they seemed to appreciate that too. Thank God for my Dillon electronic muffs...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.