Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:18 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Big purchase this weekend, Wife is out of town!!! 
 Post subject: Big purchase this weekend, Wife is out of town!!!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:51 pm 

Hey all,

This is the big weekend. My purchase permit showed up Monday. :) Wife leaves in the am with the kids. :D Gun show this weekend!!!! 8) :evil:

It's come down to this
1. Springfield Mil spec 1911 new
2. Rock Island Armory 1911 new
3. Some type of used Sig.
4. Some type of very nice used 1911 under $500.

After the show its off to Bill's to run through about 100-200 rounds.

As far as the cost of ammo, yeah, when I first got my 1911 I lost 8 pounds in a couple of weeks 'cause I was spending all my beer money on ammo. Lately when I look in the mirror, I'm thinking I should do more shooting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

Don't forget a safe to keep all those new toys in!!! A buddy of mine just picked up a sig, g19 and a bushy. All of which got ripped off night before last along with his laptop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:06 am 

Well that is quite the dilemma you have there my friend!
I would go with the SA Mil-Spec we are talking about the Mil-Spec and not the GI, right? Don’t get the GI there is just too much that is done to the more modern Mil-Spec for a really good price! You may also want to consider ammo costs with WWB for 9mm at about 14 bux and the .45 is at about 28 so there is a huge difference. Good Luck!

BTW Post pics of what ever you decide on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:22 am 
Longtime Regular

Get what you want!

The one that feels right and you can carry would be my recommendation.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:50 am 
Longtime Regular

Get what you want works for me.

Now as for advice, mine would be get the Springer over the Rock if you have the money. It will be a nicer fit and finish. But don't dismiss the Rock out of hand either. I have one and it's a great beater gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:09 am 
Longtime Regular

Two bad thing about a list:
a) you will eventually end up with one of everything on the list,
b) the list keeps growing..................

Go with the Springfield Mil spec 1911......... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:21 am 
Longtime Regular

well, since lists grow ....

How about a stop at Bill's North. Last time I was in they had Taurus PT 1911's for ~$449 or $489 NIB ... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:23 am 
Longtime Regular

Alright, when, today at 1500, that work......be there! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:24 am 
Longtime Regular

hammAR wrote:
Alright, when, today at 1500, that work......be there! :wink:

drat ... I was going to Metro at 1530 today ... twist my arm and I could be convinced to divert to Bill's North :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:43 am 
Longtime Regular

"When you come to the fork in the road, take it!" - Y. Bera

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:18 pm 

Apdl wrote:
I would go with the SA Mil-Spec we are talking about the Mil-Spec and not the GI, right? Don’t get the GI there is just too much that is done to the more modern Mil-Spec for a really good price!

If the price is right the Mil spec is my first choice.

As far as the cost of ammo, yeah, when I first got my 1911 I lost 8 pounds in a couple of weeks 'cause I was spending all my beer money on ammo. Lately when I look in the mirror, I'm thinking I should do more shooting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:35 pm 

chadsci wrote:
Apdl wrote:
I would go with the SA Mil-Spec we are talking about the Mil-Spec and not the GI, right? Don’t get the GI there is just too much that is done to the more modern Mil-Spec for a really good price!

If the price is right the Mil spec is my first choice.

should be around upper 500 last I saw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:02 pm 

Well I picked up a Charles Daly 1911. Used for under $500. I spent the afternoon today at Bills north. I put about 150 rounds through it. It had two stove pipe/ejection failures. Both were with the same clip(cheap 10 dollar swap meet magazines). Once I stopped using that clip, it went through the last 75 rounds, without a problem. Dont know if the magazine could cause a ejection failure... Still it was AWESOME!!! I hadn't been to the range in ten years(with my dad). After learning that the target could be stapled to the cardboard rather than try to attach it to the clip(its ok you can laugh). I also want to say thanks to the gentleman who point this out. He helped me after watching me try to hold up both the cardboard and the target. :D :mrgreen:
I also went way over budget. This being my first weapon. I needed a safe(12year old and 3 year old at home). Also needed cleaning supplies and hearing and eye protection.

About $500 with tax for gun.
ear protection $25
eye protection $20
Small padded gun pouch $14
REM oil $5
cleaner $8
Cleaning kit $20
Cleaning pad $5
Lockable home case/safe. $100 with locks
trigger lock $7
Ammo 250 rounds MAgtech $14.99 each 50 $75

The look on my wifes face when I tell her what I bought.... Monday or tuesday. Priceless. :evil:

Wish me luck.
I'll post pics i about 20 minutes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:10 pm 
1911 tainted

chadsci wrote:
The look on my wifes face when I tell her what I bought.... Monday or tuesday. Priceless. :evil:

You never know, I once got the response "So what did you by me". Told her that I wanted her to try this one to see if it worked for her, if it did, we could get her the same model. 8)

True story, but after the confused look I got from her, I kinda figured it wasn't stainless that she was interested in, more like gold or silver. :oops:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:56 am 

My question is why don't they have tuperware parties for guns? My wife is always going to some type of home gizmo party and bringing home trinkets that she doesn't need. Just think, get a group together at someones home eat finger sandwichs have a soda or a glass of wine and look at some of the latest greatest handguns or gear. You could even bring your man-purse if you have one! I am thinking that if I would come home from this type of party with say a new 642 or a P239 it still wouldn't even out all of the things that she has dragged home over the years.

RTK

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.