Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 TAURUS PT1911 .45 ACP PISTOL 
 Post subject: TAURUS PT1911 .45 ACP PISTOL
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:24 am 
Longtime Regular

Has anyone shot or bought one of these?

I was looking at one yesterday, disassembled it, but did not get to shoot it. It looks like a solid weapon, but there are a number of knockoffs that look decent but are a POS.

And yes, I did put it back together.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:59 am 
Longtime Regular

Hopefully, it was the ONLY thing disassembled at the time!! That way you can't mix and match the springs!! :shock:

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

Actually it came apart all by itself, springs were flying all over, I was fortunate that it didn't start shooting by itself.... :shock:

could have been a Dan Wesson type of bad day :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:46 pm 

I have one and it's excellent. I have an NZH serial and the fit and finish is very nice. My dad got one with an NZJ serial and it had poor/corrupt rifling in the barrel.

If you can fully inspect it before buying, then it's a good deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thanks for the input..............appreciate it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:01 am 
Longtime Regular

I've got one. Got a hell of a deal on it. Shoots like guns that cost much more. Has the features of guns that cost much more. Mine is reliable enough that I carry it occasionally.

The finish on the slide is total crap. Stainless is supposed to be available soon.

Taurus has always had QC issues with their autos, so look it over carefully before paying up.

If you just want a plain GI issue, take a look at the Rock Island Armory guns.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:10 am 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
I've got one. Got a hell of a deal on it. Shoots like guns that cost much more. Has the features of guns that cost much more. Mine is reliable enough that I carry it occasionally.

The finish on the slide is total crap. Stainless is supposed to be available soon.

Taurus has always had QC issues with their autos, so look it over carefully before paying up.

If you just want a plain GI issue, take a look at the Rock Island Armory guns.

Drat! I was hoping the Taurus would replace my rock. The rock EATS my thumb web at the range.

Guess I'll look into a springer of some kind :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:17 am 
Longtime Regular

Oh, I think the Taurus is a great replacement for a basic GI like the RIA. But why replace? Just add.

I think you'd have to spend a ton more to get a Springfield that's nicer than the Taurus. I got my Taurus for $450 which was less than the Mil-spec which has almost no features.

You might also consider having someone install a beaver tail on the RIA. It can't be that expensive.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:25 am 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
Oh, I think the Taurus is a great replacement for a basic GI like the RIA. But why replace? Just add.

I think you'd have to spend a ton more to get a Springfield that's nicer than the Taurus. I got my Taurus for $450 which was less than the Mil-spec which has almost no features.

You might also consider having someone install a beaver tail on the RIA. It can't be that expensive.

~$100 - $150 IIRC for the beavertail and commander hammer and fitting.

I was thinking if I could get out of my rock at a little loss and get the Taurus as a CCW gun for ~$500 then it's be better than sinking more money in the rock. But I like the rock just fine except for the hand biting it does. Even at that it's fun to shoot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:35 am 
Longtime Regular

I wholeheartedly agree with Dean, just add....that's what I am attempting to do, thus the interest in the Taurus. The small gun safe has a hole in it from when the Dan Wesson (S & W wannabe and a piece of crap) was sent to a foster home. Now my 1911's are down to around a dozen and a half and I haven't made a 2007 purchase yet.....NEED NEW TOY! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:47 am 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
But I like the rock just fine except for the hand biting it
does. Even at that it's fun to shoot.

Buy a glove.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:23 am 
Longtime Regular

Give it to me, I'll test it, fix it, and give it back - someday........ :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:26 am 
Longtime Regular

hammAR wrote:
Give it to me, I'll test it, fix it, and give it back - someday........ :lol: :lol:

Do you offer a loaner gun program while mine is in the shop?

I am trying very hard not to solicit a sale on Joel's forum :-) (That's a Joke BTW but I'll edit it if asked just to keep it clear)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:39 am 
Longtime Regular

I wouldn't worry about it, with all of your carping about it biting, I am assured that no one sees this as an offer to sell or would even consider an offer anyhow.........but I would take it and properly dispose of it for you, just to relieve you from the constant distress, depression, physical and mental abuse, and potential PST..................

and for the "good of your children...":wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by hammAR on Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:41 am 
Longtime Regular

hammAR wrote:
I wouldn't worry about it, with all of your carping about it biting, I am assured that no one would even consider an offer anyhow.........but I would take it and properly dispose of it for you, just to relieve you from the constant distress, depression, physical and mental abuse, and potential PST.................. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

truly a scholar and a gentleman :-) AND Selfless to boot :-)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.