Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Para Ordnance Tac-Four 
 Post subject: Para Ordnance Tac-Four
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:38 pm 

Has anybody had any jamming issues or any known information on possible feeding problems with Para's?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:46 pm 
Journeyman Member

I just tried one at the range yesterday. I had quite a few feeding issues with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:14 pm 

BlackEagl wrote:
I just tried one at the range yesterday. I had quite a few feeding issues with it.

Where did you shoot this pistol and which model was it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:18 pm 
Journeyman Member

Shot it at bills south.. I don't remember the model of it tho.. I remember that it was .45 cal. It was one of the new ones they just got in. Maybe had a couple rounds through it before I rented it..

Actually, the only times it had the feed problem was when I put a new mag in. First round would only make it about a quarter to a half way into the chamber. Few taps on the back of the slide and it would go in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:23 pm 

I have a Para Colonel, and it doesn't like CCI Blazer ammo at all. The round goes in cocked upwards and jams in place. It loves Hornady TAP however.

As an additional point, it doesn't much like aftermarket mags. I've got one that works okay, and one that doesn't work worth a darn. So if you're going to pay the money for the Para, you should also plan on budgeting extra for the $45 mags.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:38 am 

Paras take a few hundred rounds to break in.
They also need to be cleaned almost religiously after every range session (should be done anyway).

I've also noticed that my, and my friend's, Paras don't care for CCI Blazer Brass. I don't know why this is, but when I switch to WWB or anything of decent quality, the gun eats it up and spits it out, every time.

So I think its safe to say that Paras as a whole just need quality ammunition, not cheap crap.

Also, one more thing, look into changing your factory mag springs with Wolff replacements. This has been suggested just about everywhere I've ever looked that discusses 1911's, and compact .45 Paras specifically. With this done (Wolff mag springs), if the gun is broken in, you clean it religiously, and use quality factory ammo... then I'd say you need to have a chat with Para's wonderful customer service. But don't give up on it yet, try these things first.

Good luck.

Last edited by Slick26 on Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:54 am 

I can attest to Wolff’s quality. I have been using their springs and spring kits for some time now.

Also, springs in general are amazingly cheap, especially when you consider the damage which can be done to a pistol when the springs are allowed to operate in a weakened condition. I have seen some really messy internals…

Bought a high-end 1911 off Gunbroker, and the innards we all beat to crap, completely due to the previous owners’ seldom (if ever) change of replacement of springs. The manufacturer’s master gunsmith was so angry when I told him what happened to his masterpiece, that he repaired the whole shooting match for free, and threw in postage both ways to boot (Nighthawk Custom). Nighthawk makes them available really cheap, though they usually recommend higher lb rated springs than you will find suggested wlsewhere.

I replace my 1911s’ recoil and firing springs every couple thousand rounds or so. Costs me about $5.00 bucks.. I don’t like the silicone/rubber recoil buffers I’ve seen, as they can simply encourage the shooter to put off changing the springs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:02 am 
Longtime Regular

Let me join the group in favor of changing recoil springs. On my pro size Kimber's it is a recommended replacement every 800 rounds. It may seem excessive but with an alloy frame I will have to go through a bunch of springs to make up the cost of a new frame.

Just my .02

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.