Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Revolver tuning? 
 Post subject: Revolver tuning?
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:03 pm 

So I'm wondering, were within a week of joining the chruch of the revolver. The gun will be used for daily carry once we are proficient with it. S&W 642 (with crimson trace grips 8) )

The question arises is it worth having the gun tuned by a gunsmith? What kind of work could they do? Would it be worth the expense on a carry only gun? How much are we talking for expense?

This is only our third gun, first revolver, neither one of us is a great shot by any stretch of anyone imagination, as of now we are "COM shooters".

Chances are we probably won't get it tuned unless someone can convince us with some good reasons to.

Secondly is there a gunsmith someone would reccomend locally for specfic tuning of this gun?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:47 am 
Longtime Regular

My Model 442 worked great out of the box. As you have already figured out this is not a MOA accuracy gun.

I would only have it gone through by a smith if I had a problem with the timing or the trigger pull. Give it a good cleaning and oiling before you shoot it and it should work fine. After a hundred or so rounds (and many many) dry fires it should smnooth out and you should get to know how it shoots.

Good luck and welcome to the CotAR :D

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:18 am 

First I dont own a S&W.
Is it worth having the gun tuned good question and your the only one that can really answer that. The gun will eventually break in with alot of live and dry fire but will it ever be as smoothe as a tuned gun probably not.
Best would be finding someone with one already tuned and compare to yours and see if the difference is worth it too you to have yours done also.

My latest purchase after 200 dry fire rounds had about 14lb grity double action and 5 1/2lb single action after work smooth 11lb double action and a 2 3/4 single action.

Cost to have done depends on work required but to just smooth the action around $75-$100.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:08 pm 

Thanks for the input :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.