Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Taurus 85 
 Post subject: Taurus 85
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:38 pm 
Forgive the ignorance, but I figured y'all could answer this one for me. I recently purchased my first revolver, and I'm trying to figure out what ammo to carry. On the Taurus website it says the model 85 snubby is rated for the +p loads, but can it handle the +p+ loads safely? As usual, any help would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:46 am 

I wouldn't shoot +p+ in the gun for three reasons: 1) nothing in the manual says it is OK; 2) when you shoot the simple +p in it you will find that this gun is pretty uncomfortable to shoot just with that load in it already! Why tear up your body? 3) Why tear up the gun unnecessarily?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:42 am 
Longtime Regular

Yeah - don't do it.

+P is a defined industry standard. +P+ is made up nomenclature with no defined pressure ceiling. Who knows what it really means?

Besides, once you shoot those +P's, you won't want anything hotter.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

I regularly carry the Taurus 851SSUL. Same model different hammer configuration. At the range I shoot 38Specials. This of course is for the reduced recoil. I do run a wheel or two of the carry ammo through each time also. The first few shots I find myself saying, "Nothing too bad about this +p stuff." Then after about shot 10 or 12 It's, "Hmm that does smart. This isn't fun anymore."

If you are worried that 38+p is not enough*, you could always carry a .357 snubby, shoot the 38's for practice and just take the punishment as you test your carry ammo.

The gun itself seems reasonably well made. As a machinist there are some things I do not like. However, it measures up well compared to other models rated for +p.

*Let's not go there.

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:06 pm 
KonaSeven wrote:
If you are worried that 38+p is not enough*, ..........

*Let's not go there.

I am not really worried about whether or not it's enough, as I am sure the +p (God forbid I ever have to find out) would do the trick, I just haven't had any experience with +p+ ammo. I have gone through a wheel or two of the +p, and to be perfectly honest didn't feel much of a difference between it and the factory range loads with this particular gun. Thanks for all the input, it certainly sheds some light on the subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:23 am 

One additional thing I might point out, having kept comprehensive records of every shot I have ever fired with this gun with a separate breakdown for every different ammo used--I find that +P ammo shoots very accurately. On the other hand, regular .38 special in my gun shoots very, very high. Just FYI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:19 am 
Thanks again for all who replied on the previous question :D
Now to drag things out with a new one........
I have put a couple of hundred rounds through this gun already, and find it suitably accurate with both range ammo and +p, with that in mind..... discounting caliber and capacity, what issues with this particular model (if any) should I be aware of when considering this weapon for carry?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:54 pm 

I carry this gun in my pocket all the time. The only issue is the hammer catching on the pocket material. Otherwise it is a terrific carry. I use a simple Uncle Mike's Sidekick holster because it fits both my guns well-enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:24 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have one also...exposed hammer, all steel. I have a CT Laser grip on it and it is one of my favorite guns to use to introduce shooters to handguns.

Although I have carried it and have 100% reliability, I also have a hammerless model, light weight, that is more comfortable to carry, allbeit less comfortable to shoot :)

These guns are a great bang for the buck, and often found used in the <$200 range, which makes them a very attractive purchase for those on a budget that also want a reliable firearm.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

cmj685 wrote:
The only issue is the hammer catching on the pocket material. Otherwise it is a terrific carry.

I found that was a problem with several that I tried. With my hand size it was too tight to draw without catching a conventional hammer. I ended up going with the 851SSUL. It draws very nice and still allows SA when desired. It doesn't have the classic snub-nose look however.

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.