Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:55 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 I joined the "cult". 
 Post subject: I joined the "cult".
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

I just joined the "cult of the revolver" today. We went to Medford today so Dad (that's me :D ) had to stop at Cabela's first. I picked up a 642. This is my first wheel gun. I had to carry it in an Uncle Mikes #3 as it was not safe leaving locked in the car as we were shopping. 8) I really liked carrying it although I normally would not carry a gun I have not run through the paces. Still had the P220 with although I felt a little dirty. :wink: I did find that it fits very nicely in my left front pocket . I only had enough time to put about 25 rounds through it tonight and find the trigger a bit stiff. The stiff trigger will take a bit getting use to. I sure hope it gets smother. I think I am gong to like it. It will be with me in church tomorrow getting blessed. I would post a picture but most have seen one somewhere before :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:38 am 
Longtime Regular

Good little gun, easy to carry. Revolvers usually work fine out of the box and don't need 200-300 rounds to be judged reliable.

Sometimes I feel like a politician because my carry choices flip like a candidate reading the polls. I go through wheelgun "phases" and then I'm back to autos and then back to revolvers. I'm willing to bet that's a common thing on this board.

When we go on trips I spend more time deciding on what weapon(s) to take then I spend on clothing choices or travel routes.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:19 am 
Longtime Regular

A trigger job on that 642 will do wonders for it and make it a true pleasure to shoot.

Enjoy it!

That is all....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:55 am 
In the time out chair

+1 trigger job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:01 am 
Forum Moderator

You can save yourself some money and just wait until you have about 500 rounds through it and the trigger will be just fine.

I have seen very nice "trigger jobs" where the people didn't want to wait for it to wear in. Just took the side plate off and filled it with toothpaste and spent the evening dry firing at the TV and then cleaned and reoiled it. Smoothed right out!

YMMV

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:15 am 
The Man

Greg wrote:
You can save yourself some money and just wait until you have about 500 rounds through it and the trigger will be just fine.

I have seen very nice "trigger jobs" where the people didn't want to wait for it to wear in. Just took the side plate off and filled it with toothpaste and spent the evening dry firing at the TV and then cleaned and reoiled it. Smoothed right out!

YMMV
Yup. And, to lighten things up -- different from smoothing things up -- there's Wolff springs. You do want to make sure that the gun will still function reliably after putting in a lighter hammer and return spring, but that's just another excuse to go to the range.

A really high-end trigger job -- like the ones that Tom Castonguay or Cylinder & Slide are capable of -- may make S&Ws a little slicker than the combination of Wolff springs and a toothpaste job, but probably not much.

(Colts are much harder to work on, I'm told, and definitely more expensive.)

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.