Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Hi Point Semi Auto's 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:19 pm 
Delicate Flower

9mm carbine is still only 199.00 and available from an FFL in Woodbury. If you are interested PM for his contact info

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

My father has a carbine in 9mm . .. less than 150 rounds, the bolt lever (screw) broke. . .. there was an obvious air bubble in the casting (that screw) . . . they made good on the warranty, he hasn't mentioned any other issues.

Nice gun for the money, but not so good compared to SKS or Nagant (I have made a Nagant faithful outta my father) The highpoint ain't bad, bbut for the money an SKS or a really, really cherry picked Nagant can be had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

Having an SKS I was under the impression that they were only 7.62x39?

I also have a .223 carbine, but it would be nice from a "keep life simple" point of view to only have one caliber and two small arms to grab if BAD THINGS happen.

Otherwise I would soon be hualing a pistol, carbine, and the long range .308, plus associated ammo + other survival stuff. But I digress, and this should be in another thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

Leo Dwyer down in Faribault got one of the carbines, and says it is an excellent cat gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

Roger. SKS is 7.62x39 only (to the best of my knowledge) . .. I mentioned it because it is in the same price league. In a carbine, I'd rather have something harder hitting, but my father was looking for "cheap to buy/ cheap to shoot" along the lines of a "truck gun" when I pointed him the highpoint way . . . as much as he loves Nagants since I intro-ed him to those, I am kinda sorry I didn't steer him to an SKS instead of the highpoint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

Ya the cost difference between 9mm and 7.62x39 is quite a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:45 am 
Longtime Regular

I recently got a chance to shoot my brother's .40 cal HiPoint. We had been shooting my S&W M&P .40 first and then he got his HiPOint out. We were shooting at about 20 to 25 feet. With the S&W, we were in the black. With the HP, we were mostly in the white, scattered in every direction. Maybe it was dirty, but about 1 in 5 shots resulted in a jam or feed failure. I've never been able to feel the the distinct movement of a slide before, but with his HiPoint I felt like it was firing in slow motion. I gotta believe it's because it was dirty.

Granted we were comparing a $400 gun to a $125 gun, but I'd rather spend more for something I enjoy shooting.

One advantage of the HP is that we didnt have to change targets very often.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:22 am 
Longtime Regular

Lenny7 wrote:
I recently got a chance to shoot my brother's .40 cal HiPoint. We had been shooting my S&W M&P .40 first and then he got his HiPOint out. We were shooting at about 20 to 25 feet. With the S&W, we were in the black. With the HP, we were mostly in the white, scattered in every direction. Maybe it was dirty, but about 1 in 5 shots resulted in a jam or feed failure. I've never been able to feel the the distinct movement of a slide before, but with his HiPoint I felt like it was firing in slow motion. I gotta believe it's because it was dirty.

Granted we were comparing a $400 gun to a $125 gun, but I'd rather spend more for something I enjoy shooting.

One advantage of the HP is that we didnt have to change targets very often.

That had to have been dirty, your brother should go buy a new one.

I've got the 995 9mm carbine and it's no sniper rifle, but it will hit the x-mark at 100'. It's never jammed on me, and it's cheap to shoot. My only complaint is that the magazine is a pita to load.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:53 am 
Longtime Regular

mnglocker wrote:
That had to have been dirty, your brother should go buy a new one.

Now that is funny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:53 am 

And the 45 Hi-Points can't be used for framing hammers, because the slide weighs too much, and the grip isn't long enough.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.