Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Opinion(s) of the Bersa Ultra-Compact Thunder 9mm?? 
 Post subject: Opinion(s) of the Bersa Ultra-Compact Thunder 9mm??
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:31 pm 

Retired military, recently received my CCW, and have been looking for and inexpensive starter pistol. I initially was looking at a .380, but have decided on a 9mm. I'm torn between the Bersa 9mm, and a Kel-Tec P11. Anyone have experience with either, and pros/cons between the two? Prices are pretty close. Also, suggestions on where to buy, even if used? I live in the western suburbs (west of Chaska). Thanks in advance!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:29 pm 

Welcome to TCC. Lots of info in this topic if you scroll down. I can't speak to your choices personally. I do like spending money at the Gunstop in Minnetonka. Many opinions to be had here.

here is a couple of links

http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3284&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2578&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Post subject: Re: Opinion(s) of the Bersa Ultra-Compact Thunder 9mm??
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:58 pm 
The Man

zimme71 wrote:
Retired military, recently received my CCW, and have been looking for and inexpensive starter pistol. I initially was looking at a .380, but have decided on a 9mm. I'm torn between the Bersa 9mm, and a Kel-Tec P11. Anyone have experience with either, and pros/cons between the two? Prices are pretty close. Also, suggestions on where to buy, even if used? I live in the western suburbs (west of Chaska). Thanks in advance!
I don't own either, but have fired the Kel-Tec, which seemed okay, if not spectacular.

If I was looking for the most, err, bang for the buck, I'd go for the Makarov. The cartridge is basically a very hot .380, but the gun is very reliable. Chunkstyle's quite a fan of them, too.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

Welcome to the forum zimme71!

I have and carry a P11. It is a great bang for the buck. Mine is reliable with all but 147gr ammo, perfect carry size and you can use Smith 69xx and 59xx mags in it.

Other guns to check out are the Kel-tec PF9 which has a better trigger but with only 8+1 rounds in a single stack. Stoeger (Berretta) Cougar in 9 or 40 for @350. Taurus Millennium Pro.

Suggest you go to one of the local gun show to find what your looking for. Keep asking questions. :)

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:05 am 
Longtime Regular

I have neither of those mentioned, so I may as well offer an opinion. :)
A good friend of mine has the Bersa Thunder in .380. I have had the chance to fire it on numerous occasions. It has turned out to be a very fine carry piece. He had some issues with misfeeds at first. The action was stiff. It has shot its way out of that. Several thousand rounds later it seems quite reliable and accurate for having small sights. He swears by it and it is his daily carry piece.

My favorite budget gun in my collection and a very frequent carry piece is the CZ 82. It fires the 9mm Mak. A high quality gun for the money. It is worth having a C&R license just for that purchase.

Good luck.

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

Don't own either...

But have shot them both.

Don't llike any of the sub compacts in 9mm. Too much flip and recoil hurts. But hey, that's just me.

I love the Bersa Thunder in .380. Easy to keep on target and I can empty the magazine on a steel target before it drops. If that don't stop a person, I don't know what will.

Congrats on your retirement. I know the feeling. I just retired myself too.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:30 am 

I had a standard size Bersa Thunder 9. It worked just fine. Nice and accurate, and problem-free. Decent gun at a good price. I'd recommend it.

TomK
Mpls, MN

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:11 am 

I also have a bersa .380 and am very pleased with it.

carrying of arms only for military purposes, one simply
cannot add “for the purpose of killing game.” The right “to
carry arms in the militia for the purpose of killing game”
is worthy of the mad hatter.

Post subject: Re: Opinion(s) of the Bersa Ultra-Compact Thunder 9mm??
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

zimme71 wrote:

West of Chaska? 8)
I have a Kel-Tec .380 you could try. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:34 am 

Well, slight change of plans. First, I never thought it'd be a difficult as it has been in purchasing my first handgun.....so many decisions, so little time! Anyway, a buddy of mine is looking to buy a new gun, and offered to sell me his Springfield Sub-Compact XD 9mm with two clips for $350. I've seen the gun (haven't fired it), and it's in like-new condition. He said that he's put less than 500 rounds through it as well. So while it's bigger than what I had planned on for a carry, from what I've read about the XD, it seems like too good a deal to pass up. So my question is twofold. First, would this be a good buy for a daily carry? Second, if so, any recommendations on holsters? I'd like something discreet on the belt preferably.

TIA

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:48 am 
Longtime Regular

Buy it and never look back. That was the first gun I bought for carry. I still love mine.

Holsters: A holster is a very personal thing. If nobody has informed you yet, becoming a permit holder also turns you into a holster collector.

The XD line has become pretty popular and has many options available. I have a number of Don Hume holsters for mine, both IWB and OWB. I bought them before Srigs went into business. Be sure to check out what he has.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:52 am 

DeanC wrote:
Buy it and never look back. That was the first gun I bought for carry. I still love mine.

Holsters: A holster is a very personal thing. If nobody has informed you yet, becoming a permit holder also turns you into a holster collector.

The XD line has become pretty popular and has many options available. I have a number of Don Hume holsters for mine, both IWB and OWB. I bought them before Srigs went into business. Be sure to check out what he has.

How is it to carry? I was looking at something a bit smaller initially (Kel-Tec P11), but I really didn't like the grips on the Kel-Tec, plus I have bigger hands, and the XD just 'fits'. However, it is heavier, and I do want something discreet since I plan on carrying regularly. I have read a bit on holsters, and my buddy is going to throw in his, but he admits it's a cheap one. Anyone have links to preferred sites? Or maybe stores in the Cities here that they'd recommend?

Thx!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:38 am 
Longtime Regular

With the right belt, even a rather heavy all steel gun can be carried well. Start with a good belt.

As far as discreet, you might look at IWB holsters first. There's less gun to cover when most of it is tucked in your pants. The trade off is you might need pants with a waistband one size bigger than you currently wear. However, if you position your holster under your kidney, you may find that you already have some slack in your waistband there. It depends on your body shape.

Some guys have had great luck with the tuckable IWB's. Like I said, holsters are a very personal thing. You'll find as many opinions as you will holsters.

Srigs' website is: http://sideguardholsters.com/

Somebody also just posted this link with enough holster links to make your eyes fall out of your head: http://www.mnguntalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2123

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:07 pm 

zimme71 wrote:
Well, slight change of plans. First, I never thought it'd be a difficult as it has been in purchasing my first handgun.....so many decisions, so little time! Anyway, a buddy of mine is looking to buy a new gun, and offered to sell me his Springfield Sub-Compact XD 9mm with two clips for $350. I've seen the gun (haven't fired it), and it's in like-new condition. He said that he's put less than 500 rounds through it as well. So while it's bigger than what I had planned on for a carry, from what I've read about the XD, it seems like too good a deal to pass up. So my question is twofold. First, would this be a good buy for a daily carry? Second, if so, any recommendations on holsters? I'd like something discreet on the belt preferably.

TIA

If you do not pick it up and he is still interested in getting rid of it send me a PM. I have a XD and I love it. Mine is the four inch version and I have no problem carrying it at all. I like the weight of it as I can feel it is there but it is not too heavy at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:08 pm 

Well, my buddy changed his mind. No matter, I was able to find what I think was a heck of a deal down at 'Cabin Fever' in Victoria last Wednesday. I didn't find the XD9, but instead picked up a Springfield Sub-Compact XD40 for $399 NIB. Little larger caliber than initially planned, but still the 3" barrel, and I've picked up a IWB (cheap one) for now, until I can pick up a nicer one. So thanks for the info, now it's time to hit the range. Anyone know of a good one in the west suburbs?

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.