Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:18 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Looking for my 1st (but probably not my last) 1911 
 Post subject: Re: Looking for my 1st (but probably not my last) 1911
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:04 am 
The Man

mnlitig8r wrote:
I have almost always shot DAO semi-autos. (I have a Ruger P-85 that's essentially single-action after teh first shot or if I cock it, but, well, that's a Ruger P-85, so accuracy isn't it's best attribute.)

I recently had the chance to shoot a pal’s S&W 1911 and have to admit that I’m smitten. (With the gun, that is.) I get the sense that the lighter trigger pull of single-action made me a much more accurate shot, thought it could have just been one of those days where I couldn't miss. (I had a real tight grouping - much better than with an XD-9 or even my Ruger Mark III, which I'm usually pretty good with.)

With that hopeful thought in mind, I’m looking to find a decent 1911 of my very own. I’d like to spend as little as is necessary to get a decent one, but I also understand the difference between something being cheap and something being a good value.

I know that there are a billion options, and that one man’s favorite gun is another’s piece of crap. I also know that until you try something you can't tell if it's good for you. With that being understood, I’d welcome any feedback any of you might have: models you like; models you don’t like; models you think are a particularly good value for the price; models you’d stay far away from; whether you think a caliber other than .45 is a good choice (all my other semi-autos are or have been 9 mm); anything else you can think of.

Obviously the web offers limitless research sources but I have come to appreciate and be very comfortable relying upon the information that’s been shared on this particular forum, so that’s why I’m seeing what you all think.

So, who's first?
I'm not first, but I'm going to put in a quick plug for the Kimbers. They're not inexpensive, but they do hold their value. Having shot higher-end 1911s, my take is that they're about 95% of, say, a Wilson Combat a little more than a third (if you shop carefully) of the price. And they come out of the box with all the bells and whistles -- lowered ejection port, bump on the grip safety, etc. -- that I want (YMMV).

That said, having handled (but not fired) the Taurus, I'd look real closely at it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:48 pm 

It turns out a S&W 1911 in stainless can be had for roughly the same price or maybe even less than the Taurus or Springfield thanks to a $100 rebate.

Since that one is, after all, the one that got me started on this whole "I need to get one of these" kicks, that will probably be what I get.

Thanks to everyone for their valuable insight. That's why I love this forum so much. Besides, this way we can have a "compare and contrast" day at the range.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

mnlitig8r wrote:
It turns out a S&W 1911 in stainless

I curse the evil external extractor. It is an abomination of the Holy Designer's intent.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:09 pm 

In order of expense, my preference would be:

Taurus (haven't shot one, hear good things about it)
Springfield Loaded, all the upgrades most people put on 1911s
Kimber, little nicer than the Springfield
Wilson Combat CQB (if money was no issue that's what I'd get)

Start with a 5". They're more reliable, and more pleasurable to shoot than any of the shorter versions.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.