Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:10 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Pocket holster for 642 
 Post subject: Pocket holster for 642
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:36 pm 

Hey,

I just bought my first wheelgun, a 642 and an Uncle Mike's (size 3) pocket holster - something to get me by until I can shop some more.

The holster to me feels too tight on the gun, and on the draw sometimes will come out of the pocket with the gun. Additionally the holster only covers about 2/3 of the trigger gaurd area.

Anyone have any advice on how to remedy this situation, or possibly on other easy-to-find-inexpensive pocket holster options?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

$20 delivered and I have it in stock. Called a Rough Out so check out my site. :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:28 am 

I have on order the Desantis Superfly holster. I hear they are excellent. Supposed have some sort of rubberized exterior so it will not shift around or be pulled out of the pocket with the gun. Also has a outer flap to prevent printing of the gun in your pocket. Can be had for about 30 bucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:08 am 
Longtime Regular

Here is a link to the place that probably 90% of the folks on here and many other sites have bought their pocket holsters for j frames from.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:38 am 

If Srigs hadn't helped me make my own rough out, I would have one of his.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:25 pm 
Raving Moderate

MNBud wrote:
Here is a link to the place that probably 90% of the folks on here and many other sites have bought their pocket holsters for j frames from.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

Bob Mika is top notch, as is Srigs. You can't go wrong with either, really...

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

With Uncle Mikes, the holster comes out with the gun. With Mika the gun sometimes comes out all by itself.

I probably need a Sprigs.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:45 am 
Longtime Regular

I think a couple of us figured out a while back that a pocket holster (regardless of brand) tends to work better with pants that have a slash pocket that is more or less parallel to the outseam of the pants, or at an acute angle. The pockets on jeans tends to be smaller and more or less parallel or oblique to the beltline.

Pocket holsters that use some sort of tacky material like the Uncle Mike's or the Mika tend eventually to get clogged with lint and lose their effectiveness. Srigs uses a hook below the trigger guard to grab the edge of the pocket on the draw.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:49 am 
Longtime Regular

642/442 in blue jeans, no cover garment, is my main carry mathod. I have never had problems with a Mika or DeSantis comining out of the pocket on the draw. (I used these pocket holsters in the IDPA BUG matches I run at the FR&PC for the last couple years.) I prefer the DeSantis slighlty over the Mika because it prints slightly less and the "grippy" material covers the complete outside of the holster.

I have had problems with the holster coming out with the gun with a "Docker" style pant or pants with "cargo" style pockets. With those style pants I find a leather pocket holster, the style with the hooks, works a little better but still occasionally comes out with the gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:03 pm 
Journeyman Member

Interesting comments.

I've been carrying a 642 for nearly 4 years now in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. I've never had a problem with the holster coming out with the gun. Compared to most of the UM holsters I've tried this one works great. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:02 pm 
1911 tainted

I use to be an Uncle Mikes pocket holster fan, still am if you replace it every couple of years. After a period of time, the outer finish seems to lose it grip and would come out with the handgun, both the 642 or the PM9.

The last year or so I have been using a DeSantis, not a problem yet, will see what it is like after a few years, but right now I am satisfied with the 2 I have.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.