Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:44 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Ruger LCP ... questions 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:19 am 
Longtime Regular

The gun can shoot. The problem may be the interface with the user. Soem people can shoot glocks, some find the grip angle something they have to work against. It may be grip size and width. The LCP is a niche compromise gun. It was built with CONCEALMENT in mind and all other considerations a close second. Being small and light and slim, it's VERY concealable.

I can put 3 bullets touching at 21 feet on a good day with everything in my favor and all the time in the world. It takes a LOT of patience, time, and attention. When I just pick it up and ventilate the target, my groups open WAY up.

I find that the trigger pull is forever long but not too heavy. I make sure to trim my shooting hand thumb and trigger finger nails much shorter and actually use an emory board. My biggest issue isn't the recoil but rather where my fingers overlap / touch when I pull the trigger.

I shot one side by side with a P3AT and they're similar. The LCP has a groove on the Left grip for my thumb and the trigger is different. Other than that, it's largely frame shape.

All in All, after some familiarization and thinking on Combat accuracy (Put it IN the badguy somewhere and NOT into something / someone else, this is NOT a hostage rescue gun), I'd comfortably carry it everyday. I borrowed one for 5 weeks and miss it now. It's truly a take everywhere gun. Light and small and concealable. Perhaps anemic in the caliber dept, perhaps lacking in grip and sight radius. Perhaps a compromise gun. But much better than throwing stones by hand. Even better, it's a GREAT Back Up Gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:59 pm 
Journeyman Member

Cabin Fever in Victoria orders them in. My dad bought 2 there for $269 each. I have one, and although it is small in my hand I have gotten used to it and can fire it pretty acurately at 5 and 7 yards. Haven't really shot it over that. I was terrible at first with it! Practice and try using more point shooting rather than sighting since the sights are almost non-existant. I also recently saw an extended mag (8 shot) on the ruger site, and was planning on getting a few myself

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:15 pm 

I did not get a chance to hit the range with the LCP this weekend. Other considerations beckoned. You get the idea.

But, I think many of you are correct. Even tho the LCP is just a bit smaller, lighter, with a less ergo grip than Bersa 380 I carry daily.... it is not a fire arm to be shot using the sights. Altho, some may be able to do so effectively. I can't do it presently.

I think it's more of a point and shoot gun. And, that said, I think that this is a somewhat precarious thing to rely on .... unless it is exclusively a BUG.

I do plan to dry fire the piece (when I get some snap caps), spend some time at the range running a few more hundred rounds thru it .... and deal with the concealment issue where I can access the LCP fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pocket holster in a front pocket. Only the most observent gun lover will ever notice, and I can't imagine faster access to a bug gun. The only sucky part of the deal is finding a new AND PERMANENT home for your car keys. Oh, and getting used to carrying a gun without a safety. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:42 am 
Longtime Regular

Bagger wrote:
I think it's more of a point and shoot gun. And, that said, I think that this is a somewhat precarious thing to rely on .... unless it is exclusively a BUG.

Nikon and Canon make "point and shoot" cameras. Some shooters utilize "point shooting" to great effect...

...including the owner of this forum, who makes the very reasonable and historically accurate point that most people will have great difficulty using the sights under the effects of adrenaline.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:27 am 
Longtime Regular

bensdad wrote:
Pocket holster in a front pocket. Only the most observent gun lover will ever notice, and I can't imagine faster access to a bug gun. The only sucky part of the deal is finding a new AND PERMANENT home for your car keys. Oh, and getting used to carrying a gun without a safety. :oops:

+1

I had this same problem when I picked up my Rohrbaugh. It took a while to get used to carrying my pocket folder in my right rear pocket and my keys in my left rear.

The mechanical safety (or lack thereof) issue is on that took me a while to get over, too. After you convince yourself that it's not just gonna go off (and you don't play pocket-pool with it while you're bored, standing in line, etc... ) it becomes something you don't even think about until you need it. Hopefully that day doesn't ever come.

[ETA:] Yeah, I know... this is about the LCP, but in function and form the LCP and the R9 are very similar.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.