Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:33 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 S&W 686 Plus Revolver - 4", 7-Shot 
 Post subject: S&W 686 Plus Revolver - 4", 7-Shot
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:36 pm 

Anyone know the price of one of these around here? I was thinking either this or a Taurus 627. I'm looking to get a bit bigger gun to shot than my 22lr and maybe something to reload.

Anyone own either of these? Any comments?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:19 am 
Longtime Regular

I've got an older 686, pre-lock, pre-MIM and 6 shot but otherwise identical. They are very good guns, very strong and made to shoot full power .357 all day long. They're a little heavy if you're planning to carry, but it can be done with a good belt and holster.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:43 am 
Longtime Regular

I have the 686 Plus 7 shot. With the 6" barrel.
Very nice revolver. I have been very happy with it. I cleaned up the action some (I am a gunsmith, so I seldom leave any of my guns alone. :) ) but it was very crisp from the factory. They are well made and the factory holds pretty good tolerances. Shoots like a pussycat with .38's. Easily my wifes favorite gun for recoil. With a good holster and high quality belt, it carries nice. I generally restrict my personal carry with it, to out in the woods activities. (Hunting, hiking, etc. )
Very accurate, it sights in easily with a 6 o'clock picture at 50 yards.

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Last edited by KonaSeven on Wed May 28, 2008 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:34 pm 
On time out

I have several 4 inch 686's, really the best service revolver ever,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

I own a 2 1/2 inch 686+ and a 6inch 686 and they are both really fine pieces.The shorter one could easily be carried but I have added a red dot so it no longer fits the holsters I have for it. One other downside to the shorter gun is that the ejector rod will NOT push the empty casings clear of the cylinder if you just gently push it. The stroke is too short, however if you push it with enough speed and force it will eject the casings.

Post subject: Info
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:14 pm 

okay thanks for all the info. Not really planning on doing CC anytime soon so weight isn;t to much of an issue. I'm just looking to move up from my .22lr's like I said.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:14 am 
1911 tainted

I have a S&W 6" 686+. Mine has a very good double action trigger, accurate enough and as mentioned, a pussy cat with .38 Special target loads.

Sorry, can't help you with the current price in the area.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: S&W 686 Plus Revolver - 4", 7-Shot
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:45 am 
Longtime Regular

Dragoneye9 wrote:
Anyone know the price of one of these around here? I was thinking either this or a Taurus 627.

I generally check Bud's Gun Shop online, to get a base price. You would need to add a transfer fee to that price to have it delivered to a local FFL. However, buying local definitely has benefits and I think a local gunshop can get very close to these prices.

686P 4"price

Taurus 627 4" price

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.