Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:39 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ruger LCP Owners, take note 
 Post subject: Ruger LCP Owners, take note
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

Fixing the Ruger LCP

Interesting tidbit:
Quote:
In the course of our talk with Mr. Elliot we learned that there was no collusion between Kel-Tec and Ruger on the design of these nearly identical guns. Ruger basically copied the overall Kel-Tec design, making sure no patents were infringed and also ensuring Ruger's parts would not interchange with those of the Kel-Tec. The guns are, for the most part, made by each company as entirely individual efforts.

One exception is the magazines for both guns are made by the same company in Italy, using machinery owned respectively by Ruger and Kel-Tec. As we noted in the GUN TESTS report, we found that not many of the components will interchange, though the assembled Ruger slide will fit onto the Kel-Tec.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

This made me laugh:

Quote:
While the folks at Ruger are to be lauded for actually shooting their products, I'm not sure the ones with serious street-based competition behind them are the ones making the decisions about what works and what does not. What I learned many years ago is that fast hits count. Point shooting is generally useless. The best shooters always use the sights.

street-based competition? This is a competitor's gun? There are competitions on the street?

Boggleboggleboggle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well, it is from the guys who publish "Gun Tests".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:14 pm 

I believe that only the early build LCPs exhibited the tearing the rim and long distance eject "problems." At first, when owners of those early guns sent them back to Ruger to be fixed, Ruger milled a tiny bit off the corner of the frame under the slide that was causing the problem. I've seen reports since then that indicate Ruger no longer does the fix, instead telling customers not to worry about it. Customers have been filing down the frame themselves. Ruger has since changed the frame design so that there's a 1/8 by 1/8" square milled out of that part of the frame. The two LCPs my dad and I picked up a couple months back both have the milled frame fix from factory.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:28 am 
Longtime Regular

if you have a good pic of that area, I'd like a look at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:09 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
The yellow line indicates the metal that has to be removed to fix our faulty Ruger. Later guns already have this removed.

Quote:
The red arrow points to the Ruger's battered inner shoulder, which is too long. Note the Kel-Tec has less metal in this area. Ruger has remedied this problem on subsequent guns by relieving the aluminum subframe at this point.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:32 am 
Longtime Regular

Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:29 am 
Longtime Regular

So on Xbox360's there is a hard and fast date, you should not buy first gen Xbox360 because it will melt down . .. . They added an HDMI port (units with HDMI okay, units without are first gen and to be avoided).

Is there such a date or an indicator with the Ruger? It looks like a pretty small difference and in a gunshop, without another one to compare, is there an easy way to tell you are buying a "fixed" one? After being milled is the milled part parallel to the subframe:
Image :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:02 pm 

You won't mistake a factory milled one for a nonmilled one. There's a 1/8" x 1/8" square of metal removed from that corner you see in the photos above. To my knowledge, Ruger hasn't told anyone a before/after serial number point, so the only way to know would be to remove the slide and look at the frame.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:47 am 

Just hoping to get this topic started again...I have $300 burning a hole in my pocket and see it has been over a month sinces the last post . Any updates from anyone that has the Ruger and loves/hates it?

Always wanted a 'pocket gun' but have found the XD9 SC to be about as small as I was willing to go to ensure reliability. Still carry the Sig229 in the Smart Carry from time to time, too.

Thanks in advance for any additional thoughts on this gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:12 am 
The Man

I've now shot two different ones, and like them a lot, fwiw. I'll probably pick one up eventually.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:40 am 
Longtime Regular

My dad has one he goes back and forth on wether he likes ... but it works and he still has it.

I've shot it and am anxiously awaiting the day I have $300 burning a hole in my pocket so I can pick one up.

I look at it this way. If you buy it and DON'T like it, there's still enough demand to get the purchase price back if not the sales tax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:06 am 
Longtime Regular

Ronin069,
You indicated a concern with reliability. I lack the discipline to keep round counts on my guns, but my LCP is way past any reasonable break-in period and has never failed. At least three or four boxes of whatever 380 Walmart sells, plus, two/three hundred rounds of home-loads. It'll go with us to the range for a few more weekends (couple hundred more pops), but I'm ready to call it reliable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:43 am 

I just picked my new Lcp up friday, It does have the section removed from the factory. Just thought I would post a picture.[/img]Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:09 pm 
Journeyman Member

I have two of the LCPs and my dad has one. I have put at least a few hundred rounds through each. At first I had fail to feed problems with one, sent it in and have run a few hundred more rounds with no problems at all. It took some time to get acurate and consistent with it, but now I have pretty decent groups, rapid firing at 5-7 yards. We both love them. My wife is still getting the hang of them. They are a little snappy in her smaller hands.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.