Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:54 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Ruger SP-101 vs. similar Taurus 
 Post subject: Ruger SP-101 vs. similar Taurus
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:20 am 

How do the two compare? I think the Taurus model is an 85 but...

Are the differences significant enough to push a person either way - other than brand sensitivity? I do sorta like the stainless-steel Ruger but with proper care, the blued ones will hold up.

Does Taurus make an alloy-frame snubbie in .38/.357?

Size-wise and weight-wise are they comparable?

I suspect either are somewhat less costly than a 642 from S&W... I may become a member of the Church of the Appropriate Revolver. I have one that's appropriate for killing deer and hogs (S&W 29) but none for 'social' work.

jb

John Farnam (I believe)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:46 am 
Longtime Regular

If you can swing the extra $$ for a Ruger over the Taurus do it. You can use the Ruger as a hammer to repair the Taurus and then go straight to the range without issues.

I have 2 Ruger revolvers and 2 Taurus revolvers, I bet you can guess which 2 haven't ever been to a gunsmith to get the timming fixed, and one of them is about to go back for a second trip or get traded in for a revolver that doesn't shave bullets.

Last edited by mnglocker on Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:49 am 

the taurus 85 can be had in steel, alloy, or titanium frames. they are refered to as "ultralight". they are available in a number of finished from stainless, matte stainless, blue, etc. i carry a .38 model 85ch (concealed hammer). it is DAO with a bobbed hammer in matte alloy. it is very light and an exceptionally smooth operating firearm. you are welcome to drop a line anytime if you wish to look at it and fire it.

mine is similar to:
http://www.impactguns.com/store/taurus_carry_revolvers.html
only it is the ultra light, not the titanium.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:23 am 
The Man

I like -- and have owned -- both.

The Taurus 85 wins on weight and size; it's slightly smaller and lighter, so easier to carry and conceal. The Ruger wins on weight and size; it's slightly larger and heavier, so it's easier to shoot, and can handle .357 rounds.

For pocket carry, I'd go with the Taurus; on (or inside) the belt, I would and have gone with the Ruger.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:24 am 

joelr wrote:
I like -- and have owned -- both.

The Taurus 85 wins on weight and size; it's slightly smaller and lighter, so easier to carry and conceal. The Ruger wins on weight and size; it's slightly larger and heavier, so it's easier to shoot, and can handle .357 rounds.

For pocket carry, I'd go with the Taurus; on (or inside) the belt, I would and have gone with the Ruger.

For belt carry, I have a 4" Kimber in .45ACP and a (pair of) Hi-Powers in 9mm. My 'beater' HP is an Israeli military FN, in cheap black lacquer finish. That's my "car" gun. It goes almost everywhere else with me, as I don't care if it gets worn and beat up. It was ugly when I got it.

I'm considering the subject models for pocket carry and, perhaps, one for Mrs. B. - likely the SP-101, since it's heavier and a bit more controllable (perhaps). She wants the simplicity of a revolver.

jb

John Farnam (I believe)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:45 am 
On time out

SImply search out an older S&W, made in about 1973 or earlier, There around and not so expensive, it will be smoother, tighter, and easier to shoot than the above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

what about the current no lock Smiths?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

See how the Mrs. likes the cylinder latch between the two, both my mother and sister have trouble with the Tauruses vs. the GP100

Post subject: Taurus
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:53 pm 

Having had a Taurus 605 snubby, the Taurus quality and is just not there compared to S & W and Ruger, Taurus handgun trade in value is bad!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:40 pm 
On time out

I prefer to pay 3 to 4 hundred for my hand fitted smiths, not 6 to 8 hundred......

I have bought more than a few from these people....http://www.robertsontradingpost.com/

scroll down for individual model lines or classes of smiths, the words get a bit thick trying to tell you how friendly they are, but they do a good job and the guns are always exactly as represented. His prices on review have gone up, but he does have some excellent prices for his stock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:33 am 

Well...

An older post with a new follow-up.

I picked up a slightly used SP-101 in .357 this week. It came from Ruger in March of this year; owner traded it on a 9mm something.

Price was reasonable, I thought - $360 with box & papers (not that they matter to me). It's a 2 1/4 inch model with a spur hammer. I'll replace the hammer, I think, to make it a bit less snag prone.

The trigger feels pretty good for a Ruger DA revolver. I could learn to like it.

Mrs. B wants to try it out soon.

I haven't yet told her about the AR that I also bought. I wonder if Joe Soucheray's 48-hour rule applies to new rifles...

jb

John Farnam (I believe)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:43 am 
Longtime Regular

JonnyB wrote:
Well...

An older post with a new follow-up.

I picked up a slightly used SP-101 in .357 this week. It came from Ruger in March of this year; owner traded it on a 9mm something.

Price was reasonable, I thought - $360 with box & papers (not that they matter to me). It's a 2 1/4 inch model with a spur hammer. I'll replace the hammer, I think, to make it a bit less snag prone.

The trigger feels pretty good for a Ruger DA revolver. I could learn to like it.

Mrs. B wants to try it out soon.

I haven't yet told her about the AR that I also bought. I wonder if Joe Soucheray's 48-hour rule applies to new rifles...

jb

That's a killer buy!!!

And yes the 48 hour rule applies, and the beuty of AR's is they all look the same to the misses. So you can keep adding more and just say "That old thing??? Been there forever. "

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.