Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:04 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 snubbie calibers 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:11 am 

someone1980 wrote:
Bagger wrote:
Couple years ago, I purchased a new ported Taurus 357 titanium wheel gun. I really like the way it feels in my hand ... very nice serrated rubber grips ... nice looking piece, too. And, loud. I've put less than 500 rounds thru it.

Why? It's just not fun to shoot. At least for me.

The recoil even with 38s is pretty hefty. With 357s , I can't tolerate shooting more than half a box. And, I'm terrible at SD distances.

The lightweight .357s are not meant to be shot. Heck most of the lightweights are not meant to be shot. The reason that they are made is because they will be carried *everywhere* because they are so light. How often do I remember I have my 340PD in my pocket? Only when I see a situation that looks a bit iffy.

A 2.25" snubby or 3" auto-loading pistol is not meant to be accurate. They can be in the right hands or off a rest, but the tactics they are designed for is basically contact distance self defense. This should be easy for just about anyone to do.

Quote:
but at SD distances, I can put 400 rounds thru a paper plate shooting at a 1.5 second/round pace.

So both of our arguments come down to "what is self defense distance?"

I wonder what you are saying here. Is it something like at 1 pace 1.5 seconds, at two paces 3 seconds, etc?

For me, SD distance is 7-10 yards. I pull off a shot about every 1 to 1.5 seconds shooting at these distances often moving around. Usually 6 to 10 shots in the magazine depending on the gun.

CC with light weight weapons is great, but if you can't hit anything at the 7-10 yard distance with them ... then what is the use of carrying them?

I always practice regularly with the guns I carry. The Bersa 380 is fun to shoot, accurate and reliable for me. It's a bit heavier/bigger than the Ruger LCP, but the LCP in my hands is not fun to shoot. I can still hit the COM with it, but the groups are pretty widely spaced. However, since I carry the LCP often on a bike, motorcycle or coming and going from my parking lot .... I do shoot it regularly cycling a box or 2 thru it. I'm better than when I first got the LCP, but I don't enjoy shooting it. It is light, slim and cute, tho. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:49 am 
Longtime Regular

I will second someone1980. Lightweights or airweights aren't meant to be comfortable target shooters. They are meant to be comfortable carriers, and if the situation arises most seem to argue that the recoil will be the least of your concerns.

I will also agree that 400 rounds in succession through a lightweight small revolver would be somewhere close to brutal :wink:

The gun won't be both a plinker and a carry gun for most people, and I don't think that was what the designers intended them for. Best to grab that gun and fire a box or two for regular practice, then pick up your plinker gun to round off the day at the range. Your wrist will thank you. Then again if you are on a one-gun budget, you have other priorities which is fine.

I say carry a gun that you can tolerate for 16 hours being on your body. If its tough on recoil, stay practiced up but don't torture yourself with it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.