Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Police Ammo 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:33 pm 

The problem with HSTs is that they can be very hard to find. Streicher's was out of stock in .45 all Summer and Fall. They did have 9 and 40.

I'm told by a reputable source that the FBI is buying most of the .45 HST that Federal can make.

They do have .45 in stock now (you bought some). The nice thing is that you can buy a box of 50 for about the same money as a 20 rd box of typical carry ammo.

Skin that smokewagon and see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:43 pm 

JoeH,

It is true that they have had it in stock lately, I picked up a few boxes. The cost is also a very important factor of this ammo. The newer technologies used in the production allows for slighly lower costs than most other carry type ammo. In .45acp a 50 round box of HST is $4 cheaper than HydraShock. It's nothing to write home about, but a buck is a buck in my book.

Post subject: Hydra-Shoks?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:16 pm 

Most officers in PD's that recommend Federal ammo now use the newer "Tactical Bonded" (which is basically a copy of Speer's Gold Dot bonded bullet) and/or "Tactical HST" versions. They're both good, depending on caliber, (and providing, as always, that you function test them in YOUR gun to be certain that they work flawlessly).

However, if you can't find them, try DoubleTap 230 gr. (they use Speer's excellent Gold Dot bullet). They come out of my 1911 (5 inch) at a hair over a 1000 fps, and about 975 fps out of my Sig 220 (4.4 inch). Top quality components, and rather reasonably priced. You'll want a 3-5 lb stiffer recoil spring in any 1911's...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Police Ammo
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:33 am 

DeanC wrote:
I know back when I tok my P2C class from DonL a couple years ago he said the Mpls police were using Federal Hydrashoks and he suggested that if it was good enough for them, it was good enough for us.

Anybody know if they still use Federal Hydrashoks?

What do other metro police depts prescribe for their officers?

So, did we ever get a list of what ammunition is used by what LE departments in the Twin Cities/Minnesota?

I've been told Edina PD uses Silvertips.

Last edited by KTV on Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Police Ammo
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:28 am 
Longtime Regular

KTV wrote:
So, did we ever get a list of what ammunition is used by what LE departments in the Twin Cities/Minnesota?

Nope, but feel free to start calling. You can post your results here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:14 pm 

Last summer, I found myself in line at the Chipotle on Robert Street in W. St. Paul with a W. St. Paul cop.

I asked him what he was carrying (G22), and what the duty load was.

He said he didn't know; "whatever they give us."

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.