Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Suggest Low Recoil defensive .38s for 642 
 Post subject: Suggest Low Recoil defensive .38s for 642
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:51 pm 

Can anybody suggest some low recoil type .38s for a 642, preferably in a HP that blossoms out of a short barrel. I may be asking for something that doesn't exist. In essence, I need a low recoil defensive round. I'm trying to figure out what the best defensive .38 ammo might be for a shooter who physically / mentally isn't ready for GD+Ps or any larger gun/caliber yet.

Thanks,

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

I find the reduced recoil 38 special Hydra Shoks (Load number PD38HS3H)to be rather mild to shoot out of my Smith 442 basically the same as the 642 but black. They seem to have good terminal ballistics as well.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:18 am 
Longtime Regular

Probably the answer is to handload or get someone to handload some light target rounds for practice and carry the factory loads, but don't have the person shoot them.

The light target loads will make the person very comfortable with shooting. In the 1 in 10 million chance they'd have to actually shoot someone, they probably won't notice the difference in recoil.

I know it works that way for me deer hunting. Sighting in at the bench can be a pain, but I have little memory of recoil from the kill shots.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:03 pm 
On time out

There is such a thing and not having your cake and eating it too.

Light guns are pleasant to carry...14 ounce pistols and revolvers are very light,

24 ounce pistol and revolvers are less pleasant to carry.

To get current bullet technology to penetrate and expand, there needs to be a certain amount of energy expended.

That amount of energy is going to cause x amount of recoil.

X amount of recoil in a 14 ounce pistol is going to bounce,

X amount of recoil in a 28 ounce pistol is going to bounce significantly less.

I would suggest you get some light target loads for practice and only shoot a few "hot" or carry loads to make sure they will function.

In the event of a DGU, you will not feel the recoil, your adrenalin will take over and those full house defensive loads will feel like a .22.

while not exactly the same, when i was faced with a ferral hog that decided i was between itself and freedom, I fired 6 full house 44 mag loads and never once felt the gun go off. you get the idea.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.