Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Anybody use CCI Blazer 9mm? 
 Post subject: Anybody use CCI Blazer 9mm?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:09 pm 

I am wondering if anybody has used this ammo in a XD:

<a href="http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/productview?saleitemid=664333&t=11082005">CCI Blazer Ammunition 9mm Luger 115 Grain Full Metal Jacket</a> from Midway USA.

I am looking to buy another case or two and want to know how it shoots in autos. I have shot the yellow box 9mm and have a few jams here and there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

I believe plenty of people over at XDTalk have mentioned shooting Blazer out of their XDs, but that's really not a very good price. You can buy WWB at Wal-Mart for less than that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:31 pm 

macphisto wrote:
I believe plenty of people over at XDTalk have mentioned shooting Blazer out of their XDs, but that's really not a very good price. You can buy WWB at Wal-Mart for less than that.

I agree about the price...just saw the AD and was wondering about how CCI Balzer shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:50 pm 

I have no experience with blazer in 9mm but in .40 the blazer shoots a HELL of a lot cleaner than WWB. That price is horrible, I bought Blazer brass at Wally world last week for the same price in .40. I believe that 9mm blazer there is 7.97, but I could be wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:26 am 
Longtime Regular

A few years ago, I was crazy about Chronographing every load I got my hands on, I chronoed Blazer 9mm, 38sp and 45. The data for ten shot groups from each of the three calibers came out with less than 10fps extreme spread. I was so amazed I tested a second group of ten shots from different boxes with the same results. I would say that if CCI has maintained this consistency, Blazer is the most accurately loaded commercial ammunition.
That said, I’ve also found it to be one of the dirtiest burning of all of the commercial ammunition available; what you gain on the roundabouts, you lose on the swings.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:57 am 

I've run tons of tons of it through my Taurus PT-99 and never had any problems with it. I have no idea how it works in any other autos.

I've run about one box of .38 special Blazers through my revolver, and I've hated it. The bullets consistently back out of the case in 3 to 4 shots. I'm not sure if that was just a bad lot, or if it's a common problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:06 am 
Longtime Regular

ChillyW wrote:
I've run tons of tons of it through my Taurus PT-99 and never had any problems with it. I have no idea how it works in any other autos.

I've run about one box of .38 special Blazers through my revolver, and I've hated it. The bullets consistently back out of the case in 3 to 4 shots. I'm not sure if that was just a bad lot, or if it's a common problem.

I had this exact problem recently with some 9mm Blazer in a Taurus 9mm revolver I was borrowing. Several light strikes/hard primers and several bullets falling out of their crimp when I removed the unfired cartridges from the cylinder. Lets just say I didn't go buy any more boxes to see if it was a bad lot. I've never had a problem with the Blazers in other calibers when used in autoloaders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:12 am 
Longtime Regular

I imagine it's hard to get a good taper crimp with those aluminum cases.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:41 am 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:

Come to think of it, my issue was with brass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:31 am 
Longtime Regular

I use CCI Blaser Brass almost exclusively and have had ZERO problems in my semi-autos. I'd use the aluminium cased when I was shooting at Del-Tone and had ZERO problems. These were all semi-autos, though. I could buy two boxes of CCI Blaser Brass for a few pennies cheaper than WWB. I've had more problems with WWB.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:37 pm 

BigRobT wrote:
I use CCI Blaser Brass almost exclusively and have had ZERO problems in my semi-autos. I'd use the aluminium cased when I was shooting at Del-Tone and had ZERO problems. These were all semi-autos, though. I could buy two boxes of CCI Blaser Brass for a few pennies cheaper than WWB. I've had more problems with WWB.

Good to know. Where can you pick it up cheaper?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:47 pm 
Forum Moderator

Before going too nuts on aluminum cased Blazer ...be sure that it works in YOUR semi-auto. Many semi-autos do not handle the aluminum well, particularly CZ's.

And, of course, many indoor ranges do not allow you to shoot them. (Bill's for example).

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

ree wrote:
DeanC wrote:

Come to think of it, my issue was with brass.
Still probably a crimp issue. The ammo was mfg'd with an auto in mind, not a revolver. If you ran in through a factory crimp die before putting it in the revolver, it would probably work better.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

brauchma wrote:
BigRobT wrote:

Good to know. Where can you pick it up cheaper?

Wal-Mart, WHEN they have any in stock. They always seem to be out of 45ACP, at least the Elk River store. CCI Blaser Aluminum I have gotten from Gander Mt. (They seem to be the only ones that carry it in 10MM)

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:29 am 

I've run probably 500 rounds through my XD, no problems at all.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.