Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Wolf 7.62x35 JHP water jugs 
 Post subject: Wolf 7.62x35 JHP water jugs
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

I shot some more water jugs today and thought I might share the results.
The previous test was with the .45ACP Cor-Bon. Thread here.
Todays was Wolf Gold Ammunition 7.62x25mm Tokarev 85 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point. Fired from my CZ52.

I had two successful tests. In the first, the bullet mushroomed like a classic soft nosed lead bullet.

ImageImage
The copper jacket was shed and was not found except for tiny bits of copper on the ground where the water splashed to. The first water jug (1 gallon plastic milk jugs) erupted in a nice spray. Not nearly the explosive release of water as in the 45ACP CorBon test, but it was completely emptied. The second jug in the row was split on the front edge but only a ragged hole on the back. Water poured out quickly but with no eruption. The bullet was found in the third jug with no evidence of it striking the back side.

On the second test there was evidence of mushrooming but the "petals" at the edge of the expansion tore off leaving a smaller projectile than in the first test. The copper jacket was shed but remained largely intact and was found in the second jug in line.

ImageImage

The tore off pices of lead were not recovered. I think they probably tore off entering the second jug, as that is where the jacket was shed. There was not as much explosive force ejecting the water of the first jug in this test. It was completely emptied, however the back edge only had a small hole in it. Whereas in the first test the jug was split open and the bottom had separated from the sides. The bullet penetrated farther. It was recovered from the fourth jug, with evidence of striking the back wall but not piercing it.

The bullet did expand. The lead seems to be fairly hard. (Using a simple scratch test with pocket knife.) This seems to limit the expansion and cause the expanded edges to be somewhat brittle. I fired one round of FMJ to finish the jugs I had left. It was not recovered. It pierced five jugs and left no indication that it had slowed, dropped or veered off course during the process. :D If the jugs had not moved I think you could have run a rod through the holes, they lined up so nice.

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:12 pm 

Hahah. It's like Minnesota's version of the Box O' Truth.

Nice report.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.