Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:29 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Ammo recommendations for M&P 40c 
 Post subject: Ammo recommendations for M&P 40c
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:48 pm 

I just got my new m&p compact in 40 cal for a carry gun. Does anyone have any experience with m&p 40's and which ammo they like? Any recommendations for practice and carry would be greatly appreciated (ammo is getting pretty expensive to buy a box of everything and see what happens), thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

I guess I would look at Winchester white box for range ammo but you are going to have to spend a little time and money to see exactly which carry ammo you and your piece are best with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:24 pm 
On time out

CDNN has winchester ranger ammo, the successor to black talon ammo, for about 14.00 a box. which is a tad more than practice ammo, but about half the going rate for quality slef defense stuff.

I bouight a bunch of it last fall, and I have not had one of my .40's hickup on it yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

In my .40 M&P, WWB and Remington UMC has been dead nuts on for practice ammo. Magtech had been inconsistant. So far for carry I've justed some WWB Personal Protection ammo that has fed flawlessly and has been very accurate at the range as well.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

For my MP40c, I carry Winchester SXTs currently.

For range use, 180 grain UMC, WWB or Blazer Brass works every time.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:07 pm 

i've reloaded a bunch of cases with 165 gr. gold dots and they have performed very well. if you don't reload, they sell manufactured ammo with gold dots as well.
i like my .40c, once i got the "dropping magazine" problem fixed. i still think it needs a stiffer mag release spring in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:01 pm 

pastor paul wrote:
i like my .40c, once i got the "dropping magazine" problem fixed. i still think it needs a stiffer mag release spring in it.

I wasn't experiencing the mag drops, but wanted a stronger spring so the button didn't get accidentally pressed. I did the modification listed at m&pforum. I changed the stock spring with a larger one, adding .010 inches to the diameter. Made a signicant difference. Took about 15 minutes to do. Very, very easy. Highly recomended. I have extra new spring material if anyone wants some for free.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

onebohemian wrote:
pastor paul wrote:

I wasn't experiencing the mag drops, but wanted a stronger spring so the button didn't get accidentally pressed. I did the modification listed at m&pforum. I changed the stock spring with a larger one, adding .010 inches to the diameter. Made a signicant difference. Took about 15 minutes to do. Very, very easy. Highly recomended. I have extra new spring material if anyone wants some for free.

Bring some to Thursday's down town lunch please. :)

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:56 am 

Bohemian, can you post the link to the thread on the m&pforum where they give instructions for the install? Way too much regarding mag drop problems to sort through. :shock: I hope they have fixed this problem. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:47 am 

SoMN40S&W wrote:
Bohemian, can you post the link to the thread on the m&pforum where they give instructions for the install? Way too much regarding mag drop problems to sort through. :shock: I hope they have fixed this problem. Thanks

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=10805&highlight=063

Couple things to note. The .063 stainless rod is actually .0625 (1/16) diameter. Ace Hardware sells it in two 12 inch pieces for a dollar. I have enough left over for about four guns. I'll cut it into the proper lengths and bring whats left to tomorrow's downtown lunch.

Second, this fix only helps to make the mag release button harder to press. There are many factors lending themselves to mag drops in these guns, including: this weak stock spring issue; too small and soft a metal tab that engages the magazine's hole; too much wiggle between mag body and magwell; not enough internal space in the magazine for the noses of the rounds to pass by the metal tab of the mag release button; etc. Increasing the spring tension should help to eliminate the accidental pushing of the button and mag release while carrying or even if your thumb bumps the button while firing.

Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

I use Winchester Ranger for carry ammo, I think I got it either at Streicher's or the Richfield pawn shop. Sometimes, I'll substitute Rem Golden Sabers. Nothing wrong with Hydra-shoks, either.

For .40, I tend to stick with the lighter bullets for carry ammo. Greater speed = more likely expansion.

For range ammo, mostly I use my own reloads. If I didn't reload, I'd wait for one of Dick's sales and clean 'em out of Rem greenbox. But Blazer Brass would be OK, as would Win whitebox from Wallyworld.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:06 pm 
Journeyman Member

I've read in many articles that the FBI uses Speer Gold Dot and that it performs well against automotive glass. Good enough for them...good enough for me (expensive though).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

My favorite carry ammo in .40 S&W is the 155gr GoldDot, 1200fps and 496ft lbs of muzzle energy is what my box says.

It's pretty light recoiling for .40 so it makes for quicker follow up shots.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.