Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Optimum Caliber for Pocket-Pistol (Semi-Auto, that is) 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:09 am 

Some good info here on ballistics of different Calibers.

http://stevespages.com/page8f.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:42 am 

Although there are more powerful pocket guns out there nowadays, you can get a Makarov for about as much as the HiPoint and it is light-years ahead of the HiPoint in terms of quality and durability. The 9x18 round has good stopping power and accuracy and the Makarov itself is legendary in terms of reliability. When I was in northern AZ years ago we were issued M10 or M19 S&W revolvers and I got permission to carry a Makarov instead since I could shoot the qualification course just as well with it and it would work in any weather. The first winter that I worked the bar district on foot and pulled the M10 out and it was almost frozen shut made me make the move to the Makarov. I had some other pistols that I could have qualified with, but they were only 99.9% reliable in warm weather. I've never had a jam in my Russian Mak and I've put 12K+ rounds thru it :shock:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Update and Another "Thank You"
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:00 pm 

Well...thanks again for the continuing input.

As it stands now, I'm planning to, by the end of May, get to a gun store/firing range to test out several guns. The one I'd like to visit is Ahlman's in Morristown. Realizing they have a large selection of new fireams I had hoped they would have an equally large selection of used guns, many of which I could shoot. It appears, however, that they do not have the Kel-Tec P11 which is one of the guns I'm considering. So my point is: I need both a recommendation for a gun store/firing range (in the southern Twin Cities would be nice) and, if the facility doesn't have as complete a fireable set of used guns, someone who would be willing to meet me at such a place and let me shoot their gun.

Let me know what you guys/gals think.

Thanks so much.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
The one I'd like to visit is Ahlman's in Morristown. Realizing they have a large selection of new fireams

Ahlman's has the largest selection of used rifles and shotguns I have ever seen.

As far as handguns, I have seen more at Cabela's and Gander Mountain. I don't remember seeing any used handguns at Ahlman's.

If you go to Ahlman's Shooter Round-Up, you can try the handguns the manufacturer's have on display. Usually in August.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:27 am 

I have a Keltec P3AT you can put some rounds through if you'd like.

Protect yourself and the ones you love.

NRA Certified Instructor
MADFI Certified Instructor

Post subject: Headed to Ahlman's Gun Shop Today
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:26 am 

Headed over to Ahlman's today...just want to see what's available to shoot and do some shooting. Hopefully I'll run into some members of this Forum. I'll "Reply" once I'm back and relate my experiences.

Thanks.

Brian

Post subject: Re: Headed to Ahlman's Gun Shop Today
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:18 pm 

USskeeter wrote:
Headed over to Ahlman's today...just want to see what's available to shoot and do some shooting. Hopefully I'll run into some members of this Forum. I'll "Reply" once I'm back and relate my experiences.

Thanks.

Brian

Just my $.02...but I carry daily a Springfield XD Sub .40. I was originally looking at the Sub XD9, but got such a great deal on my .40 that I couldn't pass it up. I currently have 800 rounds through it, using all types of ammo, w/o any issues what-so-ever. Narry a jam, misfire, etc. I do clean it after ever time I've been to the range, but I know of one poster on this board who I believe has the XD .40 compact, and has around 4-5k rounds (I believe) w/o a cleaning. I was originally looking at the P3AT and P11, but it just wasn't pleasant to shoot at the range. If I were to get another gun (hopefully soon), I'd either get a wheelgun (I'm intrigued), or another Springfield to be certain.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:57 pm 

Ok...I went to Ahlman's expecting to be able to shoot various used handguns; not so. So, it appears I'll need to ask those in this forum to help me do that.

Would those of you that would be willing to let me shoot your gun(s) please let me know? Also, if you would tell me where we could do that and when I'd appreciate it.

Finally, if some have suggestions as to better ways for me to do this, I'd be grateful.

Thanks.

Brian

P.S. I'm looking to shoot only 9mm at this time but am open to suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:29 pm 
Delicate Flower

Bills in Robbinsdale rents firearms................plus if you let the forum members know when you will be there its a good bet folks will show up and share.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:26 am 

Thanks, ttousi...I have it mapped out; it looks like a great facility.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:23 am 
Longtime Regular

The only time you can "rent" and shoot handguns at Ahlman's is at the "Shooter's Round-Up" in August. The manufactures have their reps there and you can try any of the handguns they have on display. You must buy the ammo on the range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:21 am 
Longtime Regular

kingjoey wrote:
you can get a Makarov for about as much as the HiPoint
Really? Where?

Gun prices change. Especially surplus gun prices, and a Makarov is a surplus gun. They don't show up in gunshops all that often, and there isn't a Makarov under $200 on Gunbroker. The $100+change Bulgarians are long gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:01 am 

You can find Makarov's at a couple of places (not all the time, but these dealers generally have some various surplus weapons)

http://www.coledistributing.com/

http://www.dansammo.com/

Clay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have a P32, P3AT, P11 and PF9. I have carried them all in a pocket. The P32 and P3AT are more often carried in front or back pocket. The P11 and PF9 work well in shorts and coat pockets.

All would be good choices.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:47 pm 

i have my pf-9 in my jeans pocket now and it is easy to fit and does not print terribly. not my range gun, but it is the perfect pocket gun for me.

i still love my sp101, but it is heavier and bulkier and carries 3 fewer bullets. i can also carry 7 more in a spare mag much easier than with the revolver.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.