Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Optimum Caliber for Pocket-Pistol (Semi-Auto, that is) 
 Post subject: Optimum Caliber for Pocket-Pistol (Semi-Auto, that is)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:23 pm 

Hello everyone...my name is Brian and I took Joel's "Twin Cities Carry" course back in January of this year. I'm now looking more at my gun purchase. The plan is to get a reliable, lightweight, accurate and "pocketable" handgun. (Isn't that pretty much what everyone wants?) I'm willing to pay for what I want; what's the point of buying/carrying a handgun if it doesn't perform when it's most needed? Anyway, in the research I've done I've come to see there are multiple calibers, types of handguns (revolvers and pistols, right?) with other variables. Additionally, I've come across the Hi-Point "C9" which seems to be one of those "too good to be true" situations: it costs much less than other, similarly-configured handguns, accomodates the "Plus-P" bullets (for increased stopping power over standard, 9mm bullets), life-time warranty, American-made, etc. So, I guess what I'm looking for is clarification and direction in terms of calibers, reliability between revolvers and semi-automatics, concealment qualities of gun types, etc. Surely I'm not the only one that could really use the help of those more-experienced....

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:33 pm 
Delicate Flower

hi points are heavy...........and you either love em or hate em :?
Many think they are unreliable except as a club, others swear by them.

Look at many before you buy.........test fire whenever possible.

Many of us will meet up with you and let you shoot some of ours once you narrow it down.

Good luck

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

Welcome to the forum.

I would choose a Kel-tec over a Hipoint because they are thinner pistols, also US made, ~$200 to 270 and mine have been very reliable. A P3AT, PF9 or PF11 would all be very good choices.

Keep asking questions.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:35 pm 
On time out

I could care less if my pistol fits my pocket, Thats why Galco and Bianchi and our own Mr Srigs. exist. To make holsters that hold the weapon ready for use, but out of sight.

There are lots of options regarding how you carry, pocket is just one, (which I never use) besides, IWB, OWB, shoulder, and others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:55 am 

Thanks for the welcome and for the insights.

At this time I have not done any test firing of "potentials" and so still have lots of work to do. It looks like Ahlman's in Morristown (http://www.ahlmans.com/index.html) is a good facility and relatively close to me. (Anyone been there and can make comments or other suggestions?) So I'll be heading out there soon and spending a day getting more comfortable with and knowledgeable about the various guns, ammo, etc

If others have recommendations, I'd be grateful to hear of them. And I'll post here in the Forums how things are going.

Thanks again for the welcome and assistance.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:04 am 
Longtime Regular

USskeeter wrote:
Thanks for the welcome and for the insights.

At this time I have not done any test firing of "potentials" and so still have lots of work to do. It looks like Ahlman's in Morristown (http://www.ahlmans.com/index.html) is a good facility and relatively close to me. (Anyone been there and can make comments or other suggestions?) So I'll be heading out there soon and spending a day getting more comfortable with and knowledgeable about the various guns, ammo, etc

If others have recommendations, I'd be grateful to hear of them. And I'll post here in the Forums how things are going.

Thanks again for the welcome and assistance.

Brian

Ahlman's has a shooter show in August - many vendors show up - basically can shoot their guns for the price of ammo. That is where my daughter shot her first pistol - :lol:

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:05 am 
Longtime Regular

In your original statement you had stated POCKETABLE so along those lines I would look at the new LCP that Ruger has on the market. If you choose to go with a revolver look at one of the many j frame guns Smith & Wesson offers.
My revolver preference is their 638 with Crimson Trace grips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:29 am 
Longtime Regular

Welcome!

You're going to get as many answers here as there are members. As for my $.02:

I don't know that I "want" a pocket gun, but it can be a necessity for some of us some of the time. I do have a Kel Tec P3AT, and it has been 100% reliable to date. I trust it and I trust my accuracy with it. I feed it Hydra-Shok .380, and it's been very happy about it.

Personally, I don't like the idea of going under .380 for defense. Actually, I don't like going under 9mm, but the reality of how each of us carries can dictate some of that.

How much are you planning to shoot? If you aren't going to shoot a lot / spend quality time with your gun(s), you should look long and hard at revolvers. Semi-autos require additional manipulation and knowledge in not only how to fire, but also in how to clear malfunctions. Revolver operation: if you are being attacked and it doesn't go bang when you pull the trigger, pull the trigger again. It doesn't get easier than that.

I do carry a full-size (Beretta 92FS, so a VERY full-size) pistol when I can, and it is very concealable with the right holster system and clothing. On the purchase list for this summer is a Springfield Operator Champion .45, and you can bet that pistol will be on my belt from the day it is purchased.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:30 am 

+1 on Mrokern. Both he and I carry the Keltec with Hydroshock ammo. As soon as I find a Ruger LCP though, I will probably carry that instead.

My .02...

I don't think I could live with myself if I carried a Hi-Point. No self respecting gun owner I've met so far relies upon a Hi-Point (correct me if I'm wrong). In fact, the only people that I've seen using a Hi-Point at the range usually shot them one handed, and sideways (if you get my drift).

I will say however, that it does fix the first rule of a gunfight; Have a gun. It doesn't sound like an extra $70-$100 would break your budget though, so look at the Keltec and Ruger. I'd also recommend finding another gun that can be carried when deep concealment isn't as big a concern.

Protect yourself and the ones you love.

NRA Certified Instructor
MADFI Certified Instructor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:03 pm 

Ok..so maybe I don't really "want" a pocket gun, however, I want to be able to carry as often as is reasonable (that would be outside of work hours...) with a variety of clothing types (suits, jeans, etc.) and be assured that the firearm will be well-concealed, easily accessible when needed and reliable. And perhaps I'm using the term "pocket gun" inappropriately.

What are my options? I'm not a big guy: 5'9" with a lean build at 145lbs (dripping wet, that is). Not being a big guy I don't have, how shall we say, a lot of "mass" to hide the thing. So I was figuring that a pocket gun might be the best way to go in terms of both concealment and ease of use.

My intent is to shoot only at a shooting range unless, of course, it's use is required for personal-safety reasons.

I'm not a "gun enthusiast." I took the training and am going to buy and carry a firearm because, not only is it my right to do so, but I have concerns about the safety of myself and my family. I do it out of necessity more than anything else as I really don't like shooting firearms. Having said that, however, I intend to be as informed and, therefore, safe as is reasonably possible in all my dealings with the firearm.

I've heard different things about the reliability between pistols (semi-automatics, as I understand the terminology) and revolvers. Last week I took opportunity to hold and dry fire a couple of each styles. I could tell the difference in weights and the amount of force required to pull the trigger. I also like the simplicity of a revolver but it appears that pistols have made great strides in the area of reliability. They both seem to be able to be well-concealed (with the appropriate holster).

Anyway, thanks so much for the recent information...again. I look forward to more two-cents worth offerings.

Brian

P.S. I did notice the "Shooter's Roundup" at Ahlman's. Even though I plan to have my gun by then, it does appear to be a worthwhile event so I'm planning to attend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:14 pm 
1911 tainted

Another thought, do you live near anyone that shoots a lot, a club, or something similar? I have gone with members to our local club in Mankato, I have to restate, members of our local club and had them shoot a couple of mine that was something they were interested in. They paid for the ammo and got to try out a couple semi auto's to compare them.

Just a thought.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:30 pm 
On time out

my wife is 5'7 about 130 and with jeans on and the right holster, you will never know that she carries a Colt's Commander owb from the moment she leaves work to the moment she gets back to work...

A good belt, which is solid enough to hold the weight of the holstered gun up and will not "roll over" letting the weapon show thru clothes is a big part. While it does not have to be a "gun Belt". It needs to be able to do the job. LL bean's and Cabela's have double layer belts that work well for under 40 dollars, vs the 100 or more many holster makers charge for their gun belts.

A good holster which is designed to hold that gun in tight to your side. Speed is not your answer, concealment and stealth are your friend) but when you wan the gun, you darn well need it and need to be able to reach it and reach it with one hand. I am of the opinion that if it takes two hands, you have to drop your bag, your coat what ever is in your hands, which gives the bad guy an uptick on your intentions.

Getting to the Gun and caliber. I believe the glock and 1911 platforms off the thinnest and easiest to conceal mass market guns out there. I do not carry anything less than a 40, simply because as much data as I can find seems to show that using a larger caliber SEEMS to have the highest percentage of stops with the fewest rounds discharged.

THe Kahrs are very much liked by some here, the two I was exposed to never worked to my satisfaction. Keltecs seems to be well liked, but do not come in something large bore enough for me. I want a gun that puts a big hole in someone, and hopefully only one hole until the person decides to quite being a threat to me and or mine.[/u][/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

1911fan wrote:

A good belt, which is solid enough to hold the weight of the holstered gun up and will not "roll over" letting the weapon show thru clothes is a big part. While it does not have to be a "gun Belt". It needs to be able to do the job. LL bean's and Cabela's have double layer belts that work well for under 40 dollars, vs the 100 or more many holster makers charge for their gun belts.

I'd also suggest the 5.11 leather belts. Streichers has them for 29.99, I believe.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:19 pm 

1911fan wrote:
THe Kahrs are very much liked by some here, the two I was exposed to never worked to my satisfaction. Keltecs seems to be well liked, but do not come in something large bore enough for me. I want a gun that puts a big hole in someone, and hopefully only one hole until the person decides to quite being a threat to me and or mine.

I carry a Kahr P40 every day all day wake to sleep unless I'm dropping a kid off at preschool. I've been made 0 times. I have a $10 belt from Tandy that I edged, stained and finished and two awesome holsters from Srigs. (1 being repaired at the moment.)
When the Kahr just isn't right, like going to church and doing the Catholic calisthenics, I have my KelTec p3at in a pocket holster.
My Kahr is thin, light, and has gone boom every time I've pulled the trigger. The only times I've had feed issues is when I haven't cleaned it regularly. Take care of your equipment and your equimpment takes care of you.
My $0.02

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

a .22 in the pocket beats a .45 in the gunsafe.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.