Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:27 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 motorbike 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

ToelessJoe,
What is the bike in your avatar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:54 am 

Dee,

that's my cafe racer - a 1972 Honda CB 500. Changing the paint to Black in the Spring.

I have another older Honda, VFR, that's in the process of becoming a 1-Up street racer with a lot of custom fiberglass from Cobalt Racing that will be all White.

After tonights' weather, I'm wondering how much longer before they can see the light of day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:20 pm 

toelessJoe wrote:
After tonights' weather, I'm wondering how much longer before they can see the light of day.

On the "Garage Logic Offical Garage Opening", which shouldn't be too long from now.

MM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thats cool toelessjoe. I used to have a '72 CB450 in college.
I guess I have a thing about some of those older rice bikes. The one in my avatar is my '81 Yamaha XS 1100. I also have an '82 CM450A with less than 10,000 on the clock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:29 pm 

Dee wrote:
Thats cool toelessjoe. I used to have a '72 CB450 in college.
I guess I have a thing about some of those older rice bikes. The one in my avatar is my '81 Yamaha XS 1100. I also have an '82 CM450A with less than 10,000 on the clock.

81 XS1100? I'm fixing up an 81 XS650.....just painted the tank (rattle-can) and side covers, and need to rebuild the carbs. Other than that, she's a strong runner with 23k or so miles....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:18 pm 

if you guys like old rice bikes i have some stuff for sale i have 2 xs 650 motors, one complete one off custom bobber frame, 99% of everything that is needed to put it together and one 95% complete stock bike that was having the fat trimmed off to be turned into a sprung bobber
any ways 750 for all of it if anyone wants it

sorry to hijack the thread
feel free to delete this if totally inappropriate, it just my gun habbit needs fulfilling now more then my bike habbit :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

Very cool. I always admire those old cafe and real chop (not the V-Twin B.S. rub bikes) rides. Good stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:32 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
81 XS1100? I'm fixing up an 81 XS650.....just painted the tank (rattle-can) and side covers, and need to rebuild the carbs. Other than that, she's a strong runner with 23k or so miles....

Those old bikes were built tough .... and heavy! The XS Eleven was the last of the air cooled superbikes (at least when I was in my teens). Gobs of torques all through the powerband and the smoothness of an inline four. You don't have to drop a gear to pass, just whack the throttle.

Of course, its outclassed by todays big crotch rockets but there is a certain nostalgia in riding a 28 year old bike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:41 am 
Journeyman Member

I am also a fan of air-cooled motorcycles, though I prefer a more recent variety. I ride a Ducati Multistrada, and, of course, I love it. she is going into primer this week, hopefully paint by the end of the month, then all the legal B.S. and off I go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:16 am 
Longtime Regular

I need a speedo.

I'd been sporting a bicycle speedo and perhaps the (speedo's) battery is just dead. The only being able to see it in city lights at night thing has gotten old. Any of you chopper/ bobber folk got a good hook up on something like a universal speedo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:21 pm 

there are a number of solutions out there, one easy one is look up dirt bike aftermarket speedometer. if i get some time later i will look for details and post it here

here are a vouple options, and there are more out there
http://www.electrosport.com/speedometers/acewell.php

http://asianconceptthai.com/product_68_1142_EN.html2

the second one is a place in thailand selling what you want, but i know i have seen that one for sale in the US, antoher good option is to look of dirt to street onversion kits they have the cordless digital speedos also

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

I knew I just needed somebody to poke me with the right idea.

http://www.electrosport.com/dirt-bike/s ... s-3700.php

Check out my first Google from those keywords. :oops: I didn't think of it myself. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

QuiChenKane wrote:
I am also a fan of air-cooled motorcycles, though I prefer a more recent variety. I ride a Ducati Multistrada, and, of course, I love it. she is going into primer this week, hopefully paint by the end of the month, then all the legal B.S. and off I go.

Duc's are nice! Good for you. It looks like it has a reasonable seating position too. Most of the newer crotch rockets have you practically lying down on the tank.
I much prefer the upright seating position of the UJM's (Universal Japanese Motorcycle - pre crotch rocket) when riding any kind of distance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 am 
Journeyman Member

After the break in period (I bought her new in August '05) I did just over 5k in 7 days, including 1137 miles in the first day of the trip, so, yeah, its pretty comfortable. Shes got just under 40k on the clocks right now, and inspired me to go back to school for Motorcycle Mechanics, specializing in Ducati/BMW/Triumph.......I like the European bikes. But anything air-cooled or older is cool as far as I'm concerned.

Crotch rockets were built by sadists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:40 am 
Longtime Regular

1137 miles in one day! Good god man, you must have an iron butt. :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.