Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 12:32 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Now here's a real shocker! 
 Post subject: Now here's a real shocker!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:47 am 
Forum Moderator

I'm shocked, shocked...what a surprise!

"Senate DFLers want 4 years of across-the-board income tax hikes"

http://www.startribune.com/politics/sta ... :_Yyc:aUUJ

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

Didn't they recently pass the largest tax increase in state history? I'm beginning to get a bit upset.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

As far as I know, 95% of people just got a tax CUT. But I guess we all see what we want.

I would think conservatives would raise taxes to cover the deficit spending, but that's not what happens either.

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:
As far as I know, 95% of people just got a tax CUT. But I guess we all see what we want.

I would think conservatives would raise taxes to cover the deficit spending, but that's not what happens either.

They should cut taxes because when you cut tax rate revenue to the government gos up. If you raise taxes the revenue decreases. How does less revenue help "cover the deficit spending"?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:

Sorry, but increasing the size of the handout to people who aren't paying taxes isn't a tax cut.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:02 pm 

The DFL leadership in this state is so far out of touch with reality that it amazes me. They know this won't get past the governor in any way, shape or form. They know they don't have the votes for an override.

And yet, they still go down this path and waste the their time and and the taxpayer's money, instead of coming up with a budget that has a fighting chance....

Can you say "special session"??? For what, 6 times in the last 8 years???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

jaysong wrote:
Dick Unger wrote:

They should cut taxes because when you cut tax rate revenue to the government gos up. If you raise taxes the revenue decreases. How does less revenue help "cover the deficit spending"?

So, either raising or lowering taxes is called a "tax increase". Republican logic, no wonder we're in this mess. :lol:

Last edited by Dick Unger on Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

jdege wrote:
Dick Unger wrote:

Sorry, but increasing the size of the handout to people who aren't paying taxes isn't a tax cut.

It's not what happened, but if so, it's exactly the same thing. And the poor people will spend it, not save it, which is what we want.

I don't care if the rich or the poor pull us out of the recession. I guess it depends on one's moral point of view, but helping the poor seems better than helping the rich anyway.

Anyway, things are getting better by the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:
jaysong wrote:
Dick Unger wrote:

So, either raising or lowering taxes is called a "tax increase". Republican logic, no wonder we're in this mess. :lol:

lmao :lol: I am not sure I am a Republican. I am more of a classical liberal. You made me smile tonight when I read that though. :D :lol: 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:
<...> I guess it depends on one's moral point of view, but helping the poor seems better than helping the rich anyway. <...>

Willingly helping the poor (or anyone) is certainly a morally just thing to do. However, forcing someone to give you their money so you can help the poor with the pilfered loot is immoral in the most highest.

*Take note, Robin Hood did not steal from the rich and give to the poor, he stole from the corrupt government and gave back to the people.

Last edited by SultanOfBrunei on Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
Willing helping the poor (or anyone) is certainly a morally just thing to do. However, forcing someone to give you their money so you can help the poor with the pilfered loot is immoral in the most highest..

Ab-so-flippin'-lutely!!!

We definitely have a duty to help our fellow citizens in their time of need. Using the government to do that is the WORST way to do it.

I always tell the charities that ask me for money that I can't afford to because so much of my income is taken by the gov't, and since they pay for votes...I mean give out handouts...I don't feel the need to give to any charity.

Now there ARE charities that I DO donate to, but there's a point that needs to be made, so that's what I tell them all.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:

Considering 40% of Americans don't even pay income taxes, there are not 95% of Americans who have taxes that can be cut.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/oct/13/obama-tax-cut-refunds-those-who-dont-pay/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:12 am 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:
Anyway, things are getting better by the day.
:shock:

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:21 am 
Longtime Regular

Lenny7 wrote:
Dick Unger wrote:

Considering 40% of Americans don't even pay income taxes, there are not 95% of Americans who have taxes that can be cut.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/oct/13/obama-tax-cut-refunds-those-who-dont-pay/

I call misleading, even as a conservative.

That number does not include payroll withholding. Even if you don't make enough to have to file, you still have paid in withholding. You don't get Social Security and Medicare taxes back.

You don't have to pay taxes only on April 15th to be a taxpaying American.

-Mark

PS - Mind you, I'm not advocating for Obama's tax plan. Far, far, FAR from it. I'm just trying to make sure we are comparing apples to apples.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:20 am 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:
You don't get Social Security and Medicare taxes back.

True, but the point remains...this is further evidence that 95% of Americans are not getting a tax cut.

When I think of getting a income taxes refund, I don't consider it to be related to SS and Medicare. They ARE taxes on your income, but with no means for a refund, I consider them a separate type of tax.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.