Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Another Reason I carry 
 Post subject: Another Reason I carry
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

Got a Email on my Business email that was somewhat disturbing. Person said they were looking for my name etc for two years!! Called me dirty names, Claimed I lied & cheated them ???
Gee, My business & name are published & Online lol People can find me in two clicks of a mouse.
Claimed I insulted them 2 years ago in a email. . Said they had the email copied. I asked them to send it to me so I knew what the heck they werer talking about.
As I figured , He Never sent it. I blew them off.

Email said "I found you, I want to meet you face to face because you lied to me"

I blew it off as a whacko and haven't heard anymore. But nowdays you just never know about people.

Just in case thou I have my Berretta & 17 little friends who could help me if it's ever needed. :D

Post subject: Re: Another Reason I carry
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

Would an invation to this "gentleman" to meet with you at the Gopher Bar on a particular morning be inappropriate? You know, public space, with lots of people, ect.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:01 pm 

Moby Clarke wrote:
Would an invation to this "gentleman" to meet with you at the Gopher Bar on a particular morning be inappropriate? You know, public space, with lots of people, ect.

I like where you are going with this.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:13 pm 

Indeed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

Jim, forgo your rail against alcohol and just invite the ass hat to the gopher bar January 9th for breakfast. You don't have to drink, but you'll be in very good company. :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:29 pm 
Journeyman Member

Time to "document, document, document"

Track the email/IP/etc, and make the proactive steps to report possible threats to law enforcement. Not that they would do anything, but good, cheap insurance.

A nice "Howdoyado?" while it sounds great. I will have a Effin Coney, Please, would push the limits of "reluctant participant" slightly, lol.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:30 pm 

Was there anything in the original e-mail that lead you to believe it had any validity? Perhaps it was just another phishing e-mail looking for you to respond to confirm that your e-mail address is valid or something??

BB

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

My business email is on my website. Easy to get.
He called me by my last name so he knew who I was.
He said the email he was using was set up at Yahoo just so he could write to me. He argued and swore in a few email exchanges. I was polite, just asking for proof of his claim.
Just a wacko having fun is my guess.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:22 pm 

Here's one for me http://www.rd.com/your-america-inspirin ... 66229.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:08 am 

My cellphone number must have belonged to some dirtbag before I recieved it. I get collection calls, call from unknow strangers and family members looking for some girl and I've had this number for 2 years. I was never threatened, but I can kinda relate. Unknow strangers making claims. :bang:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:04 pm 

Jai9100 wrote:
My cellphone number must have belonged to some dirtbag before I recieved it. I get collection calls, call from unknow strangers and family members looking for some girl and I've had this number for 2 years. I was never threatened, but I can kinda relate. Unknow strangers making claims. :bang:

I've had the same problem. I find it funny how insistent people are on the phone. I had a guy ask me if I'm sure that I'm not Beth. Maybe it says something about my voice but I'm pretty sure I'm not Beth. I am a guy. I told him that maybe he doesn't know Beth very well if he didn't know that she changed her number.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:35 pm 

i wouldn't even engage someone like that. If I know they have no claim, my response is "Sorry, can't help you" followed by my hanging up the phone.

I got a spam call on my cell the other day, showing a faked local return number. A person with a heavy accent asked for a company name I no longer use. When I told them they had the right person, they said, "okay, thank you" and hung up. I called back several times and got a busy signal. Google tells me it's a scam.

If you do business, you have to put your name and number out there, it's part of doing business.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

Tell them you're Beth and you had a sex change operation :lol:

NotCleverEnough wrote:
Jai9100 wrote:

I've had the same problem. I find it funny how insistent people are on the phone. I had a guy ask me if I'm sure that I'm not Beth. Maybe it says something about my voice but I'm pretty sure I'm not Beth. I am a guy. I told him that maybe he doesn't know Beth very well if he didn't know that she changed her number.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:46 am 
Longtime Regular

JimC wrote:
Got a Email on my Business email that was somewhat disturbing. Person said they were looking for my name etc for two years!! Called me dirty names, Claimed I lied & cheated them ???
Gee, My business & name are published & Online lol People can find me in two clicks of a mouse.
Claimed I insulted them 2 years ago in a email. . Said they had the email copied. I asked them to send it to me so I knew what the heck they werer talking about.
As I figured , He Never sent it. I blew them off.

Email said "I found you, I want to meet you face to face because you lied to me"

I blew it off as a whacko and haven't heard anymore. But nowdays you just never know about people.

Just in case thou I have my Berretta & 17 little friends who could help me if it's ever needed. :D

I would not have responded to any email calling me names and making false claims. Document what was sent to you, contact the police if it continues, do not respond and keep your situational awareness on high alert for a while. It’s a scram or a nut job. Either way you don’t need to continue contact with them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:21 am 

I have a pretty cool setup on my home phone. Everything gets routed through my computer, which runs Asterisk on Linux. I can do anything that a corporate phone system can do, including: voice mail, call menus, hold music, queues, etc. I can also route VoIP traffic coming in from the internet to my household phones.

One of my favorite features is what they call the "ex-girlfriend" feature. You can handle calls however you want based on the incoming Caller ID. When someone calls me that I don't want to talk to (usually telemarketers, but could be anyone), I flag their number and kick them to the "telemarketer torture" script, which I got off the internet.

I have a demo number set up to show what it does: (425)906-3582. That's a VoIP number from the Seattle area that goes straight to the same script, regardless of Caller ID.

The Star Tribune seems to like it. I see in my logs from time to time that they call several times a day, several days in a row. I think they must be passing it around their call center.

The only down side is that I can't do the same thing with my cell phone. However, Google Voice does some cool things that will keep unwanted people from calling, and you can have that set up with your cell phone (if you can get an account).

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.