Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Carry while biking 
 Post subject: Carry while biking
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have started biking and will be spending a significant amount of time this summer on a bike. At the moment, I am simply putting a pistol in my pack along with my wallet, which is not quickly accessible. The shorts that I wear while biking are typical sports types. No belt loops and if they have pockets they are pretty lame.

I am a bit worried about Thunderware and my j-frame rusting.

Any other suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

Shoulder holster under your 'hi visibility' orange vest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

How about a decent belt and holster, sans spandex eye burning pants? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:56 pm 

Purchase a bike jersey that has the pockets located on the rear lower portion of the back. There are usually three compartments, two smaller ones on each side and a larger one in the middle. Put the rig in a baggy and place it your strong side outer back jersey pocket and you should be good to go. This will work well if you should/will become seperated from bike for some reason. Just don't crash!!! And for God's sake, wear a helmet!!!

RTK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

bkrafft wrote:
'Hi visibility' orange Shoulder holster over your vest?

Fixed it. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

Interesting stuff, I will have to think about this more.

rtk wrote:
And for God's sake, wear a helmet!!!

:) Picked one up today. Best one on the shelf for $53. What convinced me was that stat that 90% of serious injuries or death from bicycle falls would have been prevented if the person had been wearing a helmet. Hmm that sounds a lot like why we carry pistols. That is some pretty cheap, effective insurance, and I didn't just spend $80,000+ to get information into my brain, to have it spilled all over the side walk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

Since I don't try to put on a biker fashion show when I ride the local bike trails (too old to care) I carry in my Safepacker on a belt around my waist. Sometimes I use a fanny pack designed for carry but the Safepacker is a lot handier and is hard to beat on a bike, ATV or hiking.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:54 am 
Site Admin

someone1980 wrote:
What convinced me was that stat that 90% of serious injuries or death from bicycle falls would have been prevented if the person had been wearing a helmet.

I find that very hard to believe. For one thing, more than 10% of serious injuries aren't to the head, and more than 10% of deaths are caused by damage to other organs.

There's also one study that found that drivers are willing to drive closer to riders with helmets than those without.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:12 am 
Longtime Regular

Smartcarry in bike shorts of course :shock: :lol: :D

When I bike it is with a fanny pack. The only time I use it. :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:08 pm 

I use a camelback fanny pack. it hides my 4" revolver quite well, plus i have about a quart of water to drink. I just have be sure and get the right tube out when i get tirsty.:shock:

Post subject: I use a regular...
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:51 am 
Longtime Regular

Old fanny pack with a built in holster. I can slip it around to my back if it becomes uncomfortable in the front.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

I ended up getting a Wilderness Safepack Holster (Thanks Ramoel).
http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=51

Got it today, went for a ride with it at about 4 o'clock. Worked great, and looks amazingly like a small medical kit. I never thought that it would be so easy to conceal a 5" .45 XD. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

Someone1980, glad you like it. The Safepacker is one holster I use a lot. Great in the truck too since it fastens to the seatbelt.

You can look at one and wonder what it is but for some reason it doesn't look like a gun would be in there. They aren't that small either, just looks like something else and hardly ever gets a second glance. Good protection for your gun if you take a spill too.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

Would this safepacker be good for use while 4-wheeling? Obviously it wont be mud and water proof, but everything is secure and covered?

Also, how secure are the reloads after a draw? It seems like they would fall/fly out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

It is made out of very heavy duty nylon weave fabric. It might be water resistant.

For a reload put the pistol back in it's home, run your hand over the front of the holster to let the Velcro reseal, re-buckle the top flap.

It isn't going to win any speed contests, but it does appear to be made to hold on tight when you are doing some crazy things.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.