Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Some information on permit wearing off 
 Post subject: Some information on permit wearing off
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:16 am 

My reference number and expiration date are appearing to sort of be wearing off. I called the permit hotline and was told to obtain a replacement, I need to:

Send a 10.00 check
Send a copy of my Driver's License
Send my original permit card
Send a completed first page of the original application

I've documented the reference number and expiration date for my records, they are still readable but not 100%.

Can I send a copy of my permit? If I send the original, who knows how long I'll be without it? Should I just live with the one I have? I knew I should have laminated it!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:26 am 
Longtime Regular

You don't need the replacement. If you want a replacement, go for replacing a 'lost' card, instead of sending the old one.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:33 am 

princewally wrote:
You don't need the replacement. If you want a replacement, go for replacing a 'lost' card, instead of sending the old one.

I'm not sure why you would do this. They might take this as you are not a competent person that keeps track of your things????
Just a thought :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:36 am 
Longtime Regular

If it's still legible, laminate it now.

If you still want a replacement, don't send the original. Do as princewally recommends. If they remember your request for replacement and insist you provide the original, you can do two things.

1) Include a notarized statement that you have destroyed the permit card. You would of course have to destroy it before getting the replacement in order to not be lying. This is all that they can demand per statute:

Quote:
Subd. 7a. Change of address; loss or destruction of permit. (a) Within 30 days after
changing permanent address, or within 30 days of having lost or destroyed the permit card,
the permit holder must notify the issuing sheriff of the change, loss, or destruction. Failure to
provide notification as required by this subdivision is a petty misdemeanor. The fine for a first
offense must not exceed $25. Notwithstanding section 609.531, a firearm carried in violation
of this paragraph is not subject to forfeiture.
(b) After notice is given under paragraph (a), a permit holder may obtain a replacement
permit card by paying $10 to the sheriff. The request for a replacement permit card must be made
on an official, standardized application adopted for this purpose under section 624.7151, and,
except in the case of an address change, must include a notarized statement that the permit card
has been lost or destroyed.

2) If you don't mind going to their offices, appeal for them to be reasonable and let you exchange the original with the replacement in person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:49 am 

I think I will laminate it and be done with it? I called awhile back, as well and whoever I spoke with there said as long as the address and name is clear... the ref # and exp is really only for purchases... And, from there I was just recommended to note the information and keep it with me.

Looking at it while typing you CAN read it (for now and longer as long as I get her laminated, one "8" in the ref #, sometimes when purchasing I'm asked "is that an 8 or a 6?")

Off to laminate regardless!

Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:59 am 
Longtime Regular

mnmike59 wrote:
princewally wrote:

I'm not sure why you would do this. They might take this as you are not a competent person that keeps track of your things????
Just a thought :wink:

No crime in that. Heck, even some otherwise responsible people have lost multiple guns ... that would be the ATF ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:03 am 

Just wouldn't want to be unable to carry for an unknown amount of days... unless absolutely necessary.

Hardware store shall laminate and be good to go, I suppose.

:D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:05 am 

somewhat on-topic....if my driver's license number changed since my permit was originally issued....i'm assuming i should get a new, updated permit?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:15 am 

You "can" get a new card if you want. you don't absolutely "have" to. (the authorities can link via the old number and/or name/addy - and since they're the ones who decided to change things they'd better be able to look it up).

there is one possible issue with not getting a new one - some stores are getting picky about having everything match, so you might have an issue somewhere. when i had this issue, I just ignored it until I renewed my permit and I never had any issues purchasing.

gun control means hitting where you aim!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:59 am 

I usually only go to one Gun shop where they know me well, so it shouldn't be an issue. As for other shops, well, if it were an issue, I'd just have to go to my usual shop, which I try to do anyway.

She's laminated. Clerk asked me: "What kind of gun do you carry?" Elaborated and the next thing he said was "Just give me my GLOCK .30 Cal and I'm happy" - Hmmm.

I'm not big on askin' to see other people's guns but a GLOCK .30 Cal would sure be a sight to see.

:lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

Timothy Nelson wrote:
I usually only go to one Gun shop where they know me well, so it shouldn't be an issue. As for other shops, well, if it were an issue, I'd just have to go to my usual shop, which I try to do anyway.

She's laminated. Clerk asked me: "What kind of gun do you carry?" Elaborated and the next thing he said was "Just give me my GLOCK .30 Cal and I'm happy" - Hmmm.

I'm not big on askin' to see other people's guns but a GLOCK .30 Cal would sure be a sight to see.

:lol:

I occasionally carry a .30 caliber, but it's not a Glock.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:34 pm 

I think the Glock 30 is a medium sized .45 acp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:13 pm 

chunkstyle wrote:
I occasionally carry a .30 caliber, but it's not a Glock.

Automag?

One of these days I'll work up a holster for mine so I can wear something else different to the next Effin breakfast!

gun control means hitting where you aim!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

Ruger makes a .30 Carbine revolver.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

Mine is a .30 Tokarev CZ-52.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.