Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:46 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Residency/Address change 
 Post subject: Residency/Address change
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:42 am 

I've had my carry permit for 3 years now. I moved out of state for one year and am back to being a MN resident. Shame on me, I know, but I didn't get my address changed on my permit. There's no specific reason why, just didn't think of it I guess. I am living in a different county than I recieved my permit in. My first questions, "Is my carry permit still valid since I left the state, became a resident of another state, and am now a MN resident again." If it is still valid, how do I change my address. I know it is a petty misdemeaner for not changing my address. Is it as easy as paying the fine or is this something I have to appear in court or at the courthouse for to plead and pay the fine?

Post subject: Re: Residency/Address change
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:06 am 

sjepson wrote:
I've had my carry permit for 3 years now. I moved out of state for one year and am back to being a MN resident. Shame on me, I know, but I didn't get my address changed on my permit. There's no specific reason why, just didn't think of it I guess. I am living in a different county than I recieved my permit in. My first questions, "Is my carry permit still valid since I left the state, became a resident of another state, and am now a MN resident again." If it is still valid, how do I change my address. I know it is a petty misdemeaner for not changing my address. Is it as easy as paying the fine or is this something I have to appear in court or at the courthouse for to plead and pay the fine?

I don't know if it is still valid.

But as far as changing your address, you have to go to the sheriff's department of the county that issued your permit and get it renewed for $10. I got mine done about two months after I moved out of county. No hassle, just got it updated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:45 am 

You are not required to get a new card. You may if you choose get a new card for $10 but the only requirement of the law is that you must notify the Sheriff of the change of address.

I can't help with the validity question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:39 am 
Wise Elder

The permit is valid for five years. After all, non-residents can come here and get one in the first place.

Just mail a change of address to the issuing Sheriff (certified mail with a return receipt). You need not make a trip to the Sheriff's office nor get a revised permit card. The Sheriff is responsible to notify BCA to update its 24/7 police-only database. The permit card is not ID; your DL is so keep the DL up to date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:22 pm 

I'll have to call the issuing sheriff in the morning and ask if it's still valid. I'll send a change of address in if it is. Maybe they'll miss the $10 fine for not updating it last year when I moved out of state.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:26 pm 
The Man

sjepson wrote:
I'll have to call the issuing sheriff in the morning and ask if it's still valid. I'll send a change of address in if it is. Maybe they'll miss the $10 fine for not updating it last year when I moved out of state.
Taking legal advice from a LEO isn't always a useful thing to do.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

sjepson wrote:

With all do respect to you and none of my business but.......

Kimberman wrote the law, I would strongly suggest you do as he posted.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:04 pm 

I will take the advice and do as he says. I'm going to do a little more checking after I do that as I want to make absolutely sure I am in the clear. I'm going to check into getting a new card with my updated address. I know it may not be required, but if some shops hassle you a bit if info doesn't match, I'd rather not be hassled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:58 pm 

My guess is that volunteering information about your failure to notify the sheriff of your address change within 30 days will only invite one thing....a citation for failure to notify the sheriff of your address change within 30 days.

If it were me and I wanted to get a new permit card with my updated info, I would:

-go to the issuing sheriff's office,
-tell them I wanted to update my information,
-fill out the form they handed me (the normal permit application, just with the "personal data change" box checked in the upper right hand corner and only needing to fill out the name and address portion of the application),
-give them my old permit card,
-pay them the $10 bucks,
-accept my receipt and copy of old permit card, and then
-sit back and wait for the new one to come in the mail.

At least, this is roughly how it went down when I changed my permanent address.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.