Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:58 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Question about holster legality....... 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

I was reading DefensiveCarry.com tonight and gort a sense of deja vu ...
http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin ... lster.html

Same question, same advice, almost the same attitude from the respondents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:28 am 
Longtime Regular

"Same question, same advice, almost the same attitude from the respondents."

With the exception of the last poster, who it sounds like has done extensive research on this holster and finds it to be legal.
I would have only one issue with it and that would be gripping it to fire it.
As for the open trigger,if the recommendation this site generally gives about not carrying anything else in your pocket applied, an open trigger on an eight pound pull trigger shouldn't be an issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:37 am 
Journeyman Member

My concern goes beyond other things in the pocket. Even with nothing else in there, quickly shoving your hand into your pocket, then trying to get a grip and yanking it out while under pressure is higher risk than I would want to take. One of your fingers can get on the trigger in this rush (wrong grip). Pull it out, and there is a decent chance of pulling the trigger.

I remember someone in the Kel-Tec forum did a test a while ago by putting the gun unholstered in his back pocket (unloaded), and tried a few draws. It wasn't many tries before this actually happened to him.

Last edited by flyt100 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:42 am 
On time out

plblark wrote:

Key word in the above quote is "almost".

None of the members who responded on DefensiveCarry felt the need to belittle or talk down to other members for the sole reason of making themselves appear "God-like".

Flyt100 stated: "One of your fingers can get on the trigger in this rush (wrong grip). Pull it out, and there is a decent chance of pulling the trigger."

Fly, are you saying your fingers couldn't get on the trigger while rushing to pull the pistol from a "regular" pocket holster?

Back to lurking!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
None of the members who responded on DefensiveCarry felt the need to belittle or talk down to other members for the sole reason of making themselves appear "God-like".

I don't know if this is directed at me, Andrew or others, but it was never my intention to "appear God-like." The OP asked for some opinions on a product. I (we?) gave honest appraisal. When someone: A) asks a question, B) gets an answer, C) doesn't like the answer, D) argues with the answer, E) gets the same answer again - in stronger language... I don't see that as belittling. I see it as an honest attempt to help a fellow shooter stay safe.

For my part, I'm sorry if I pissed on anyone's campfire.

Sincerely,
Rob, who still doesn't like that carry mechanism and will not say otherwise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:28 pm 
Journeyman Member

Magnum Mikie wrote:
plblark wrote:

Key word in the above quote is "almost".

Flyt100 stated: "One of your fingers can get on the trigger in this rush (wrong grip). Pull it out, and there is a decent chance of pulling the trigger."

Fly, are you saying your fingers couldn't get on the trigger while rushing to pull the pistol from a "regular" pocket holster?

Back to lurking!

I'm still confused on the idea that you think it would be beneficial to carry your gun in that contraption without a round chambered vs. carrying it in a ready-to-fire condition in a "normal" pocket holster.

Can you explain your reasoning and logic on this?

Speaking only for myself, I consider a gun without one in the pipe to be nothing more than a paperweight, or at best a talisman to make the carrier "feel safer" while carrying it. It also means carrying one less round with which to defend oneself.

I just see that contraption as being counter-intuitive to any and all logic, but if you can at least explain how you see doing what you're suggesting as beneficial maybe we'll be able to better understand where you're coming from.

Speaking of lurkers, look at me... 30-some-odd posts in 3.5 years. Sheesh, that's pathetic! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:56 am 
Journeyman Member

Magnum Mikie wrote:

Back to lurking!

This is true. With my regular pocket holsters, the triggers are fully covered and I can't get a finger on the trigger while drawing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:12 am 
The Man

bensdad wrote:
Quote:

I don't know if this is directed at me, Andrew or others, but it was never my intention to "appear God-like." The OP asked for some opinions on a product. I (we?) gave honest appraisal. When someone: A) asks a question, B) gets an answer, C) doesn't like the answer, D) argues with the answer, E) gets the same answer again - in stronger language... I don't see that as belittling. I see it as an honest attempt to help a fellow shooter stay safe.

For my part, I'm sorry if I pissed on anyone's campfire.

Sincerely,
Rob, who still doesn't like that carry mechanism and will not say otherwise.
I'm with you on this one.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:52 am 
On time out

flyt100 wrote:
Magnum Mikie wrote:

Back to lurking!

This is true. With my regular pocket holsters, the triggers are fully covered and I can't get a finger on the trigger while drawing.

Fly, so while using your regular pocket holster, the trigger is covered while drawing...................does this mean you pull the pistol out of your pocket while still holstered and then remove the pistol from the holster after the pistol/holster is removed from your pocket? If the holster remains in your pocket while removing the gun then this means your trigger is exposed to your fingers while taking it out of your pocket.

My point is that there is no way to carry a loaded handgun 100% safely. Especially when shit-hits-the-fan. Even carrying my 1911 cocked & locked presents safety issues like bumping the safety when removing it from the holster in a SHTF situation.

In my original post I was ONLY asking about the legality of this wallet holster. I wasn't asking if it was a "dumb idea" to use it. Chances are very good that I'll keep the wallet holster for novelty reasons and put it in my "holster drawer" with about a dozen other holsters.

I'm curious how many instructors here have actually been in a SHTF situation. I have. It happened about 22 years ago, but I'll never forget the adrenalin flowing through my veins.

After receiving a few PM's and emails from members of this forum, I know I'm not alone in thinking that even though there's excellent information given by excellent instructors like Joel and others, there are a couple instructors here that could utilize a little more cooth and professionalism in their responses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:40 am 
The Man

Magnum Mikie wrote:
I'm curious how many instructors here have actually been in a SHTF situation.
Kimberman, me, Caile, for sure; I'm confident that there's others.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:13 am 
Longtime Regular

Depends on what you mean by SHTF, does armed combat count?

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:14 am 
The Man

jac714 wrote:
Thought about that. I was assuming that he was talking about even more modest civilian stuff, or I'd have certainly included you, and some other folks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:18 am 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
jac714 wrote:
Thought about that. I was assuming that he was talking about even more modest civilian stuff, or I'd have certainly included you, and some other folks.

I figured that, my question and your distinction is still valid. Does something you are trained to deal with and that, just about any reasonable person would agree, is not only possible but also probable a SHTF situation?

Seems like an interesting discussion.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:21 am 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
jac714 wrote:

When I was being shot at in Greece and Turkey, while not actual combat, the adrenalin rush was intense. In Greece we returned fire but in Turkey the RN in it's wisdom had not provided ammunition for our launchers.

Not Fun. :( :( :(

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:08 am 
Longtime Regular

Selurcspi wrote:
joelr wrote:
jac714 wrote:

When I was being shot at in Greece and Turkey, while not actual combat, the adrenalin rush was intense. In Greece we returned fire but in Turkey the RN in it's wisdom had not provided ammunition for our launchers.

Not Fun. :( :( :(

The two way rifle range really sucks, I can't imagine how bad it would suck without ammo.
:x :shock:

-Unknown

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.