Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:52 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Permit expires 3/30/2009 renewal class is 3/28 I'm ok right? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:52 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
1911fan wrote:
...it was done overnight.

You are clearly a silver-tongued devil. :)

Sometimes you get more done with honey than vinegar. The trick is knowing when to apply which. :D 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:55 am 
Longtime Regular

jaysong wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:
1911fan wrote:
...it was done overnight.

You are clearly a silver-tongued devil. :)

Sometimes you get more done with honey than vinegar. The trick is knowing when to apply which. :D 8)

It also helps not being in Hennepin County.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:33 am 
The Man

Yeah. Maybe he should move to Ramsey. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Utah at 60 days after they open and process the application,
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:37 pm 

12smile wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:
12smile wrote:

I'll carry the pistol in my right rear jean pocket in the Double Zippered GunRug that came with it..."the pistol [wil be] unloaded, contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, or securely tied package."

That's for car transport. A gun on or about your person in a public place is carry, regardless of whether it is loaded.

Not to reduce this point to an absurdity...but how about getting it to the car from the house???...I do see that the above applies to "motor vehicle, snowmobile or boat"

Another "Plan B"....how long will it take to get an out of state permit from let's say Utah??

I actually did pose this question to the instructor via his online registration system a while ago and never heard back....wish I had called ...I just assumed my permit wouldn't evaporate while the new one was being processed...kind of like a driver's license.

Bottom line the Utah permit takes roughly 75 calendar days, since they are 2 weeks behind opening their mail. They are still faster than Florida!

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor -PPITH, PPOTH & RTBAV
BCA Certified Training Organization under PPA
Minnesota Permit to Carry Instructor
Utah Certified CFP Instructor
NRA CRSO, IDPA CSO

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:21 am 
Longtime Regular

12smile wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:
...A gun on or about your person in a public place is carry, regardless of whether it is loaded.

Not to reduce this point to an absurdity...but how about getting it to the car from the house???...I do see that the above applies to "motor vehicle, snowmobile or boat"

That's a good question. From the car to the house is probably your driveway or garage, which is not a public place. It would appear as if the act of carrying your gun case across the street to your car, or from the parking lot to the range, is illegal.

One of the canons of statutory interpretation, however, is that laws must be read with the assumption that the legslature did not intend "an absurd or manifestly unjust result" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statutory_ ... nce_canons ).

Thus, we'd have to hope that if a cop was nasty enough to arrest a law-abiding person for carrying a cased pistol from their home to their car, and the case was prosecuted, that the judge would interpret the law to include carrying the cased gun to your car in the definition of transporting in a motor vehicle.

Lord knows, judges never make absurd or convoluted decisions basedc on political bias. They stick to the rule of law.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:15 am 

MS 624.714

Subd. 2a.
(a) An applicant must present evidence that the applicant received training in the safe use of a pistol within one year of the date of an original or renewal application.

Subd. 7
(c)(1)
no earlier than 90 days prior to the expiration date on the permit, the permit holder may renew the permit by submitting to the appropriate sheriff the application packet described in subdivision 3 and a renewal processing fee...

(d) The renewal permit is effective beginning on the expiration date of the prior permit to carry.

Let this be a lesson to everyone out there... Mark your calendars...
D-364: schedule your class; put everything into an envelope ready to mail in
D-89: drop said envelope into mail for delivery

...right, I know it may not be EASY to hang onto that envelope for 275 days.. put it in your gun safe or something. I don't know. Do whatever you gotta do, but your windows of opportunity to prevent a lapse in permit coverage are huge and there really is no excuse for missing them.

...also, don't misunderstand. I don't mean to throw rocks from a glass house. I'd be the first one to forget. :oops:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.