Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Getting a permit from Florida 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:20 am 
Poet Laureate

You can carry on campus. It is not against the law, whether you are student or otherwise.

If you are made whilst carrying on campus, you get kicked out of school. Still, you are not a criminal, and have no crime to answer for.

If you are made as a result of taking down an active shooter, and saving the lives of dozens of your fellow students (and yourself), you may get kicked out of school. It depends on how much fallout the administration is willing to deal with as a result of expelling a hero. It's bad PR, you know, and that is bad for enrollment, reputation, and the vast amounts of dollars attached to those things.

Anyone care to correct me? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:34 am 

There are also a couple of organizations out there actively advocating for carrying on campus. The biggest one is probably www.concealedcampus.org.

Oops, did I just turn this thread into a campus carry discussion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

Carbide Insert wrote:
Anyone care to correct me? :P

Yes. "Whilst" is just a bit Aussie or Brit.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:32 pm 

I don't think I'll have enough time to do a class while I'm there. I'll be flying in late this Wednesday and leaving early Saturday. The two days I'll really have to do stuff will probably be spent finding an apartment and then if I have enough time, trying to get a plan for furnishing it.

I suppose I'll have to wait until my next time out there, which probably won't be too long to take the course. Can anybody give me a place near downtown Minneapolis (perhaps close to the area around Loring Park) that I can take the class? I will have a car every time I go out there, and will bring my car when I move, so I can obviously go somewhat outside of the downtown area, and I visited Gunstop while I was out there last time - but a place close to the hotel I keep staying in and where I'll likely be living would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'd pick the once-every-five-years class based on quality, not saving 15 minutes of driving. :)

LawGuy wrote:
I don't think I'll have enough time to do a class while I'm there. I'll be flying in late this Wednesday and leaving early Saturday. The two days I'll really have to do stuff will probably be spent finding an apartment and then if I have enough time, trying to get a plan for furnishing it.

I suppose I'll have to wait until my next time out there, which probably won't be too long to take the course. Can anybody give me a place near downtown Minneapolis (perhaps close to the area around Loring Park) that I can take the class? I will have a car every time I go out there, and will bring my car when I move, so I can obviously go somewhat outside of the downtown area, and I visited Gunstop while I was out there last time - but a place close to the hotel I keep staying in and where I'll likely be living would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:49 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
I'd pick the once-every-five-years class based on quality, not saving 15 minutes of driving. :)

LawGuy wrote:

Fair enough. Where do you recommend then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:01 pm 

Hopefully, Hennepin gets a little quicker now that they've hired back an old patrol partner of mine (retired detective) to help with the backgrounds for just these types of things. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:28 pm 

If you're apartment hunting you may want to check out the crime maps..go to the city of minneapolis website / police dept / crime maps...they're available as pdf...stay way out of north mpls.

Uptown is cool but pricey. Phillips neighborhood is also to be avoided.

the area bordered by 35w / Hiawatha / Franklin / Lake st is bad news.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:42 pm 

I decided that as soon as I get back, I'm going to do what's necessary to get a Utah CWL permit and then worry about a Minnesota permit once I've moved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

LawGuy wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

Fair enough. Where do you recommend then?

Ooh, that's easy -- me! :)

Seriously, there are a large number of instructors on this forum who do a very good job on carry permit classes, starting with the site owner, Joel Rosenberg.

Kimberman does teach a class occasionally -- it'd be pretty awesome to take the class from the guy who wrote much of the law.

Phorvick is also an attorney, as well as an experienced NRA training counselor.

Ttousi is also an NRA training counselor, really knows his stuff, and from what I hear puts on a great class.

Other instructors that are in the metro, that I'd recommend without hesitation, include:

chinakay and Selurcspi (I'm jealous that these spouses get to teach together!)
dcwn.45
DonL
gaygoalie
jac714
Jeff Boucher-Zamzo
mnglocker
mo_the_mouse
nmat
plblark
princewally

Just so that there are no hard feelings, I'll point out that there are instructors I've forgotten, those who aren't members of the forum, and those who might be good, but I've never personally observed.

I won't list the bad instructors, but there are some. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:15 pm 
1911 tainted

joelr wrote:
Yup; what they all said. If you manage to get in a permit class while you're up here visiting, you can apply in Washington County -- fast service, and lower fees than anywhere else in the Metro.

What he said.

Also he is someone that you may want to contact when you are in the metro area and interested in training.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

Lest anyone doubt, I also think that cobb and a number of other instructors are very good, but may be one, two, three, or more hours from the metro. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:54 pm 

so.... I'm here in Minneapolis.

What's the deal with the "Insert business name here bans guns on these premises." signs I see everywhere?

It was the first thing I was greeted with even at my hotel.

Is that codified, and if so could somebody cite the statute?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:57 pm 
Wise Elder

It is required by law. Here you go:
Minn. Stat. sec. 624.714, subdivision 17 (2008).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:15 am 
Longtime Regular

kimberman wrote:
It is required by law. Here you go:
Minn. Stat. sec. 624.714, subdivision 17 (2008).

The very busy Kimberman, had he more time, would have expanded on his above remarks to explain that the posting must be in that format to be a valid notification.

The 99%+ of Minnesota businesses that are not interested in restricting carry are not obligated to post anything. :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.