Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Duluth Carry Laws 
 Post subject: Duluth Carry Laws
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:44 pm 

First Post!

I've been doing a ton of reasearch.....

I'm a Michigan resident with a CPL (Concealed Pistol License) and MI and MN both have reciprocity. I'll be traveling to MN at the end of the month and plan to carry.

I'll be in Minneapolis/St. Paul, Ely and Duluth mainly.

I've read some very negative stuff on Duluth's carry laws and that people will be arrested if caught carrying within city limits. Is there any truth to this stuff? Any info is greatly appreciated.....

Also, I've read that some areas of Duluth are littered with "thugs". Any truth? Are there areas I should avoid?

Any other comments on carrying while I'm in MN?

Thanks in advance.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:04 pm 
Poet Laureate

Duluth's enforceable carry laws are exactly the same as every other square inch of soil in this state. MN has complete preemption.

In the reference section is the law regarding where you can legally carry. It applies everywhere.

My humble opinion is that there are a lot of unfounded rumors floating around, mostly started by individuals who have no firsthand experience with what they are talking about. Yes, there are LEO's who shouldn't be on any department's payroll. But I have to think that the vast majority have at least a clue as to the fact that we have legal carry here in MN, and will not engage in JBT activities just for the fun of it.

You can have a bad apple in even the most gold star carry state with widespread OC and public acceptance of such. Carry away, whether in Duluth or some empty field, and please consider not worrying so much about lightning happening to strike right when and where you're carrying. We need at least this much confidence to enjoy a half way respectable practical carrying routine in this state! (Or in MI, for that matter. The same advice applies! You deserve it in your state too.)

Oh, and enjoy your time in MN. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:08 pm 
Poet Laureate

For the record, I do open carry on a periodic, regular basis. I've only ever been approached and "carded" once. Overall, I simply get pleasant smiles and positive comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:39 pm 

Carbide Insert wrote:
I simply get pleasant smiles and positive comments.

Much like the one in your avatar, I'm sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:53 pm 

No worries! I visit, and sometimes work in Duluth fairly often - Duluth cops are too worried about other things to worry about you carrying...not sure what those other things are but it is certainly not the speeders on Central Entrance or Arlington Ave!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

Ronin069 wrote:
Duluth cops are too worried about other things to worry about you carrying...not sure what those other things are but it is certainly not the speeders on Central Entrance or Arlington Ave!

Donut shop hours? :lol:

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

It must be doughnuts because if you read the editorials from local "Community" groups. The crime problem is exaggerated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:58 pm 

gunflint wrote:
It must be doughnuts because if you read the editorials from local "Community" groups. The crime problem is exaggerated.

Yeah, just ask the paper carrier that was beat to death a few years ago up on the hill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

There's crime & bad guys in every city.

I even read Eden Prairie had a guy drive off without paying for gas!!

Their Swat team's Winnebago was camped in Holiday's Parking lot for a week!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:35 pm 

:lol:

OK, Thanks Guys! That helps....

Post subject: Carry in Duluth
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:57 am 

I have been an instructor in Duluth since the day the law changed - here are a couple of observations:

1. I have received zero trouble from local law enforcement - my vehicle is lettered up with advertisement, so, they know what I am up to.

2. Open carry in Duluth can get you into trouble from police officers that are ignorant of the MPPA - there have been a couple of incidents that I have heard about from more than one source.

I am not personally a big fan of open carry. But, to paraphrase Voltaire - "I would defend to the death your right to do it".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Carry in Duluth
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:08 pm 

legal2carry wrote:

2. Open carry in Duluth can get you into trouble from police officers that are ignorant of the MPPA ...

That issue isn't just with the Duluth PD I'm sure.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.