Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Help NICS Denial 
 Post subject: Help NICS Denial
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:40 pm 

Do you still need to fill out the Fed form for a new purchase when showing your MN CP?

Cabella's grumpy sales guy insisted I fill out the form after showing the permit. Was told 20 minutes later it was DENIED by NICS!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

Don't blame the "grumpy" sales guy. :? He was entirely correct.

Your permit in no way exempts you from the 4473. It merely acts as a 5-year purchase permit.

-Mark

PS - One of the lawyer types around here may have denial advice. I know there is an appeal process. Did you provide SSN?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Help NICS Denial
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

Tabsr wrote:
Do you still need to fill out the Fed form for a new purchase when showing your MN CP?

Cabella's grumpy sales guy insisted I fill out the form after showing the permit. Was told 20 minutes later it was DENIED by NICS!!
Yes, the MN Permit does not act as a NICS waiver.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: CP Check
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:18 pm 

So, you can receive a MN permit to buy for 10 years, be approved for a MN carry permit and not be able to pass NICS?

Anybody get the absurdity of the NICS decision?? Wait till it is you or all new gun buyers.

Post subject: Re: CP Check
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:21 pm 
The Man

Tabsr wrote:
So, you can receive a MN permit to buy for 10 years, be approved for a MN carry permit and not be able to pass NICS?

Anybody get the absurdity of the NICS decision?? Wait till it is you or all new gun buyers.
Most NICS delays/denials, as I understand it, are errors. I've never gotten either, but I've been around when a couple that I'm certain were errors have happened; it's got to be awful to be the Guest of Honor for one of them.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

You never answered the question the Mroken asked; did you provide your SSN on the form? The reason for this is that there may be other people with the same name as you.
You've got to realise that right now NICS is very heavily stressed. There have been a record number of people being checked out by the NICS system since just before the election. It is quite possible that it is a case of mistaken identity on their part.
NICS checks are peformed by a federal agency that has nothing to do with your state carry permit. However, if you were issued a state carry permit with no problems, then it is quite likely that they might have mistaken you for someone else with the same name. Apparently, this is a common enough occurance.

Post subject: SSN
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:58 pm 

Of course I did, been buying guns for 45 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

I've never been denied before, nor I guess have I seen someone be denied. So apparently I need to spend a lot more time at gunshops.

Anyway....when I do get denied (in error) or see someone denied. What is your recourse? Is this something where you just try again, or do you have to call someone, hire a lawyer, etc etc etc???

Post subject: Cabella Sales person Mistake.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:42 pm 

Called the manager today to inquire why I was not given the app form file number for contacting ATF. The manager researched the app and told me it was not a denial but delay. The sales person made a gross error stating it was denial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:05 am 

Nice I bet that mistake made you feel all warm and special.... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:05 am 

i got a denial once, i was picking up some recievers, I was denied, and then the ffl asked for the number to reach the atf or fbi (i cant remember which) directly , called them, and told them that i was buying ar recievers and they passed me, apperently they had to mark other on the form not pistol or rifle and this cause some sort of confusion.

oh and i was buying outside of my home state

Post subject: Avoid Cabella
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:54 pm 

Bought the SW last Saterday and promised a phone call regarding the NICS delay. Now Friday 9pm and no call from Cabella. My last purchase from them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:38 am 

My last purchase was delayed by NICS. Never happened before. I was buying a AK which made me wonder if that had something to do with it. But when my ffl called it in he described it as a long rifle so I don't think NICS knows exactly what it is you are buying at the time nor do they probably care. It was approved like 2 days later.
A co worker told me that because I also have a SIDA clearance that raises a flag and NICS will take a closer look at your background. A SIDA allows you access to airport ramp and aircraft.
Personally I think they are just swamped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

MnMonte wrote:

Why?? Are firearms sales up?? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:47 pm 

MnMonte wrote:
My last purchase was delayed by NICS. Never happened before. I was buying a AK which made me wonder if that had something to do with it. But when my ffl called it in he described it as a long rifle so I don't think NICS knows exactly what it is you are buying at the time nor do they probably care. It was approved like 2 days later.
A co worker told me that because I also have a SIDA clearance that raises a flag and NICS will take a closer look at your background. A SIDA allows you access to airport ramp and aircraft.

Same here, I was delayed for the first time ever with my last purchase. (2 months ago, time for more :lol:) Was approved 3 days later, but of course, the sales man who said he calls NICS every day, never called me, I had to find that out when I called a week later. :x

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.