Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 HCSO: expect 35-40 days now...little upset. 
 Post subject: HCSO: expect 35-40 days now...little upset.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:48 pm 

It'll be 35 Days tomorrow. I called again today and the man on the line said, again, that mine was mailed in a batch (seriously, batch) last week and I should give it until at least Wednesday. I've never heard of first class mail taking more than a business day to make it to the same zip code.

I live a few blocks from the permit office. And the post office isn't even half a mile from it. If the batch (bullshit) went out, say, Friday, then I should expect a minimum of FIVE DAYS for it to travel a mile? Even if they sent it by squirrel, that's pushing it. I'm VERY interested to see the postmark when it comes.

POINT. The law says: 30 DAYS. And that's pretty damn generous. It's getting worse and worse and it's probably because it's never been too cold each time they test the water, seeing how far they can push it. Soon they'll qualify application receipt's with "expect up to two months, we're pretty busy right now". At this rate we'll be in Florida County by next year. We need to slap these people in line.

Also, batches? Really?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hennepin has actually been running under 30 for a lot of people lately...I haven't heard from anybody about them testing the waters. They've always run about 30 days...that's nothing new.

At this point I'd be concerned about what happened to it at the post office.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: HCSO: expect 35-40 days now...little upset.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:46 pm 
Journeyman Member

Sietch wrote:
I live a few blocks from the permit office. And the post office isn't even half a mile from it. If the batch (bullshit) went out, say, Friday, then I should expect a minimum of FIVE DAYS for it to travel a mile? Even if they sent it by squirrel, that's pushing it. I'm VERY interested to see the postmark when it comes.

I have, on occasion, had things take over a week to get from Woodbury to Cottage Grove via mail.

The post office is run by the federal government...

I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:54 pm 

johngagemn wrote:
The post office is run by the federal government...

Tell that to an employee. They'll tell you otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sietch wrote:
I live a few blocks from the permit office. And the post office isn't even half a mile from it. If the batch (bullshit) went out, say, Friday, then I should expect a minimum of FIVE DAYS for it to travel a mile?

Absolutely. The closer the destination to the origination, the longer it takes. That's the fundamental principle underlying the Galactic Postal Union.

Chap Foey Rider: Capitalist to the Stars

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:21 pm 

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....................

On Day 30 I start carrying using my old permit and my application???

I've seen the wording in the statue...can anyone give me a link?

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:28 pm 
Activist Extraordinaire

12smile wrote:

Quote:
On Day 30 I start carrying using my old permit and my application???

Speaking solely for myself, I would if I were in your shoes. It's not your fault the SO can't get out of its own way. No denial in 30 days is deemed approved.

Edited:

b) Failure of the sheriff to notify the applicant of the denial of the application within 30 days after the date of receipt of the application packet constitutes issuance of the permit to carry and the sheriff must promptly fulfill the requirements under paragraph (c).

624.714, Sub.6 (b)

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=624.714

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:02 pm 

PM me your details. No promises, but I know some folks down there, including at least one detailed to permit backgrounds (retirement gig).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:10 pm 

Subd. 6.Granting and denial of permits.(a) The sheriff must, within 30 days after the date of receipt of the application packet described in subdivision 3:

(1) issue the permit to carry;

(2) deny the application for a permit to carry solely on the grounds that the applicant failed to qualify under the criteria described in subdivision 2, paragraph (b); or

(3) deny the application on the grounds that there exists a substantial likelihood that the applicant is a danger to self or the public if authorized to carry a pistol under a permit.

(b) Failure of the sheriff to notify the applicant of the denial of the application within 30 days after the date of receipt of the application packet constitutes issuance of the permit to carry and the sheriff must promptly fulfill the requirements under paragraph (c)

Start carrying on day 30 with your old permit and the application.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:58 am 
Journeyman Member

12smile wrote:

Is that an offer to pay his legal fees if he gets charged with unlawfully carrying? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:06 am 

johngagemn wrote:
12smile wrote:

Is that an offer to pay his legal fees if he gets charged with unlawfully carrying? :P

HUH?

(b) Failure of the sheriff to notify the applicant of the denial of the application within 30 days after the date of receipt of the application packet constitutes issuance of the permit to carry and the sheriff must promptly fulfill the requirements under paragraph (c)[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:40 am 
Longtime Regular

johngagemn wrote:
12smile wrote:

The woman who accepted my permit app over a year ago, and filled out my reciept, clearly told me that if my permit didn't arrive in the mail within 30 days, than consider the permit issued and carry with that reciept on you at all times. In fact I thought that language was printed on the reciept they give you at time of application.

Someone will be along with the definitive answer, mine is only anecdotal from a SO employee, and that means about as much as I paid for the information.

IANAL but I'd feel comfortable carrying with that reciept if you are over the 30 day limit and have not recieved notice of denial.

Edit: Nevermind, 12smile already posted it. As others said, carry and protect yourself if that is your choice. At this point its the SO's shortcoming and you need not be concerned, other than with getting the actual permit card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm just not sure I'd feel comfortable in Minneapolis without the card. I mean if they can run a guy in for an overnight stay at the castle for being in possession of "illegal hollowpoint ammunition", what would they do to a man with a gun and no issued permit?

As the saying goes, you can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
I'm just not sure I'd feel comfortable in Minneapolis without the card. I mean if they can run a guy in for an overnight stay at the castle for being in possession of "illegal hollowpoint ammunition", what would they do to a man with a gun and no issued permit?

As the saying goes, you can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride.

Thats true, it is infinitely unfortunate that the mental spanking those LE people so badly need, can cost the "victim" so much time, money and hassle.

Then again, if they never get corrected, the problem never improves. I have had good luck with polite emails and phone calls to the HCSO. Backed up with statutes ready to call on, I have found the end results to be satisfactory. The thing is there shouldn't be an issue in the first place, due to misinformed law enforcement.

The only real downside, is they have an advantage. Most people I know, including me, don't want to be the test case. Can't afford it, on several levels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:52 pm 

Well, looks like I eat my words on this one.

They called me today and said to come pick it up. The envelope had been returned to them by the post office. And to HCSO's credit, the postmark announced it had actually left the permit office on Day 27, the card itself having been issued on Day 23. Well shucks, I guess they ain't so bad. :wink:

I'll call it 28 days.

Now I have a bone to pick with the post office. I wonder how much of my mail never finds its way.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.