Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Changing company policy re: parking lots and private vehicle 
 Post subject: Changing company policy re: parking lots and private vehicle
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:32 am 
Journeyman Member

This is an email I sent to HR and our corporate lawyers today.

"Company policy 9.13 states the following:

“Weapons and contraband are not permitted in the _____ work environment. This means that workers may not have weapons or contraband: …In a personal vehicle while on company property.

Workers, their vehicles (when parked on company property) and personal property…are permitted on company property based on the condition that they are subject to inspection.” (Policy 9.13, pp. 2-3)

This policy is in violation of Minnesota state law which expressly prohibits an employer from prohibiting lawful possession in their vehicle in a parking facility or lot.

Direct from the statute:

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/bin ... um=624.714

"Subd. 18. Employers; public colleges and universities.

(a) An employer, whether public or private, may establish policies that restrict the carry or possession of firearms by its employees while acting in the course and scope of employment. Employment related civil sanctions may be invoked for a violation.

(b) A public postsecondary institution...

(c) Notwithstanding paragraphs (a) and (b), an employer or a postsecondary institution may not prohibit the lawful carry or possession of firearms in a parking facility or parking area."

Please review the relevant law and change the policy as required. I would appreciate an update from you after the review is complete.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

So, you already have your next job lined up, huh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:29 pm 
Poet Laureate

Andrew Rothman wrote:

:shock:
:lol:
:cry:

Maybe JohnK87 has already been made, and is trying to keep his job by putting legal on the defensive? Good strategy, if that's the case.
Otherwise... the least he could do is post his company and position on the board so we can get a heads up on sending in our résumés. Tough times, and all, you know! :wink:

He could even put it under the "Deals" section. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:40 pm 
Journeyman Member

Andrew Rothman wrote:

Not all of us are slaves at bucket factories. :wink:

Post subject: Re: Changing company policy re: parking lots and private veh
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:42 pm 
Journeyman Member

JohnK87 wrote:
This is an email I sent to HR and our corporate lawyers today.

Kudos to you for being willing to deal with the issue straight on with your employer. I did the same and was thanked for pointing out the discrepancy, and the policy was amended shortly thereafter.

Post subject: Re: Changing company policy re: parking lots and private veh
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:08 pm 

johngagemn wrote:
Quote:
Kudos to you for being willing to deal with the issue straight on with your employer.

+1

I would be highly interested in knowing the outcome.

What happens if they dont change the policy? Does JohnK87 start being a point of interest? Specifically his vehicle? Just curious.

“I reckon so”
- Outlaw Josey Wales

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:15 pm 
Journeyman Member

I doubt it. Lots of firearms at my work (guards) and several of the captains know I'm a gun guy. I also don't carry anything in my vehicle in violation of policy- I'd rather get it changed so I can be OK than be a plaintiff in a lawsuit over unlawful termination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:02 pm 

Excellent. By following their policy until you can get it changed (to comply with state laws) I think you've done exactly the right thing.

Company policies are so often just lip service to begin with, in the "What are you doing to make a safe work environment?" "Here, read our policy!" sense. We have a 'no weapons' policy here, too, and I suspect that if they ever wanted to fire me, they'd point to my CRKT pocket knife and suggest that I'd violated the zero-tolerance weapons policy, a policy I've been violating for 6 years with only a "Hey! Nice money clip!" comment from one of the security guys. It's just another data point, since nobody is actively searching for policy violations until it becomes clear that a violated policy needs to be found to help legitimize someone's dismissal. (see also, Primary seat belt laws, etc.)

I should clarify that, obviously, there are plenty of policies which will get you canned immediately like harassment, violence, etc. I'm talking about the "You printed your kid's 1 page soccer schedule on a company printer which violates policy. You are the weakest link, goodbye..." kind of things.

I'm eager to hear whether their 'get tough' policy is lifted from the parking lot in response to your notice so everyone can get back to minding their own business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:54 pm 
Journeyman Member

Since NOTHING in a big company happens quickly, I figure it will take until at least the end of the year to get anything changed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

JohnK87 wrote:
Since NOTHING in a big company happens quickly, I figure it will take until at least the end of the year to get anything changed.

Just here to encourage.....
Do what you think is right. Take it as far as you are comfortable, no more no less.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:

:roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:46 am 
Longtime Regular

jaysong wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

I'm just saying that poking bears is a very dangerous hobby -- not that I don't do it on occasion. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:04 am 

jaysong wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

Apparently you have never run into an anti before that is so fearful of guns that they will immediately call the police upon sight of what might possibly be a photo of a picture of a replica of a gun. These types of people have jobs. Often times they have jobs in HR or corporate positions. Do you think they check their hysteria at the door?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:55 am 
Journeyman Member

djeepp wrote:
jaysong wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

Apparently you have never run into an anti before that is so fearful of guns that they will immediately call the police upon sight of what might possibly be a photo of a picture of a replica of a gun. These types of people have jobs. Often times they have jobs in HR or corporate positions. Do you think they check their hysteria at the door?

And apparently you don't realize that not all of us work for fearmongers and a few of us even communicate with people at our companies on a regular basis. Like I said, not all of us are slaves at the bucket factory.

Carry permits are not the exclusive domain of people who work in constant fear of their boss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:18 pm 
Journeyman Member

Heck, sometimes even the boss has a carry permit.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.