Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:46 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Inexpensive, minimalist class? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:09 am 
Longtime Regular

parap1445 wrote:
cobb wrote:
parap1445 wrote:
...............and some blah, blah's........

My suggestions, buy yourself a Geo Metro.

Have a great day. 8)

Perhaps you came into this late. I have said very clearly in previous posts that none of what I say is meant to disparage any of the instructors on this board or anywhere else - or their teaching techniques or current curriculum for that matter. This is a discussion which by the number of posts and the fact that the original thread has been split to several sub topics shows that there are some differing opinions on this topic

Yup, and now that some of the chaff has been removed from the original intent of the thread, hopefully we can keep it rolling and civil all at the same time.

There's a lot to be considered on this one, and I think a discussion of what exactly we can all agree on what needs to be covered would be interesting. The qualification is certainly going to be point of contention #1, but how far in depth should instructors go into other topics?

As an example...should they just present the law as written, without any interpretation? Is that proper instruction?

Discuss. 8)

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:30 am 
On time out

Cobb, let me ask you this, and not trying to be a snot but asking of some people whom you know the background of, You offer a class for renewal, and Benny, Gunny, and Goalie are your students. Do you really feel that you have to run the standard class for these guys, starting out with nomenclature and the four rules?

I can see where the class might have some very different dynamics in a case like this, I think I speak for Parap by saying this is the class dynamics we are suggesting might benefit from something other than a basic intro class.

When I went to college, the classes got tougher as I went along, I was not forced to take intro to western civ 4 times. Perhaps we can do the same to repeat students who are going thru their renewals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:36 am 
Journeyman Member

mrokern wrote:
Quote:
As an example...should they just present the law as written, without any interpretation? Is that proper instruction?

I think <there I go again> that a complete understanding of the law is paramount. Because acting in accordance with the law is what is going to keep you out of prison. To that end the instructor should explain, not just read the law to the students. I should be clear that when I say law I really mean laws because there are several statutes that govern the carrying and use of firearms in regard to self defense. Most of us are not lawyers and need to have the law explained in laymen's terms. That, IMO is one of the most important facets of the carry class.
As for the shooting qual. I don't agree that one shot should suffice. My own opinion (and obviously some of the instructors disagree) is that in 10 - 12 rounds - with a required reload in there, a person can demonstrate that they can operate a pistol safely and with a reasonable degree of proficiency.

Member-North American Hunting Club
Veteran - US Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:45 am 
On time out

Regarding the question of a student having a bad day and missing the Badguy. Cops miss with a majority of their shots,

Look at pages 4 and 5 of this summary of the NYPD SOP reports of the 80's to 2000,

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:pAe ... clnk&gl=us

Note that barely 20% of the shots fired by the police were hits. EIGHTY PERCENT MISSED feel better a little bit if your student fails to connect? I think worrying to much about a miss is far less beneficial, than worrying about someone NOT having the gun they need when they need it.

My two cents

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:18 am 
The Man

1911fan wrote:
Regarding the question of a student having a bad day and missing the Badguy. Cops miss with a majority of their shots,

Look at pages 4 and 5 of this summary of the NYPD SOP reports of the 80's to 2000,

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:pAe ... clnk&gl=us

Note that barely 20% of the shots fired by the police were hits. EIGHTY PERCENT MISSED feel better a little bit if your student fails to connect?
Not really. I don't think that the difficulties that cops -- and others; I'm not picking on the cops -- have in hitting targets that may well be shooting back at them, or trying to stab them, and are probably moving have a lot to do with the inability of other folks to, under the very mild stress of a repeatable shooting qual, hit a nonmoving target under just about ideal shooting conditions. My own guess, and it's just that, is that somebody who can't score 70% on my own modest qual won't be able to do nearly as well as 20% under real stress, without all the advantages of a range shooting qual.

No, I'm not reassured. Sorry.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:00 am 
The Man

mrokern wrote:
As an example...should they just present the law as written, without any interpretation?
Gosh, I hope not. Somebody could walk away with the impression that if a friend whips out a crack pipe in their home and they shoot him in the head to prevent him from lighting up, they'd be safe from prosecution under 609.065.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:03 am 
The Man

1911fan wrote:
Cobb, let me ask you this, and not trying to be a snot but asking of some people whom you know the background of, You offer a class for renewal, and Benny, Gunny, and Goalie are your students. Do you really feel that you have to run the standard class for these guys, starting out with nomenclature and the four rules?
I don't speak for him, but were Cobb to take my class, he'd get my presentation on the four rules, and it's not because I think he's unfamiliar with them, or unsafe. I don't. (If it were a one-on-one, we'd skip the nomenclature; I'm more than mildly confident he knows what the bang switch is.)

I'd expect he'd do the same for me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:05 am 
The Man

1911fan wrote:
I think it is very egotistical for a lot of the instructors on here to firmly believe they know more about shooting than all of their clients.
Could you name the instructors who have given you some -- well, any -- factual basis for that strange allegation? Please. You say there's a lot; I don't think there's as many as one that's said anything of the sort.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:52 am 
Gun-Toting Liberal

I am siding with 1911fan (and it has nothing to do with his incredibly good taste in firearms) as it seems to me there is very little difference between permit holder shootings in VT and AK and the most restrictive of training states so why add to the permit cost and complexity other than it is compromising again with the anti gun contingent.
I know that my instructor had me nodding off after 4 hours of randomly associated law and opinion sprinkled with a healthy dose of politics. Maybe I would have been more engaged had it been one of the instructors here but as it was I mostly got cranky about wasting a day and giving 100.00 to someone who was a pretty poor teacher.

"We are therefore persuaded that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment incorporates the Second Amendment and applies it against the states and local governments." Nordyke v. King 4/20/09

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:55 am 
1911 tainted

1911fan wrote:

The above listed are not Bob and I assume you know that I do not do a renewal class, I do a class.

I have had students tell me it is a renewal and thought it a waste of time to go through my class because they already took a full class and thought I should offer a shorted renewal class for that reason. These same people had either gone through a pure NRA class back in 2003 or 2004 and truly were taught nothing about Minnesota law, or they went through a class that was not very complete, so in both cases they needed a full class to get up to speed on what they should know to carry. I have had dozens of renewal student tell me this, it is nothing that I dreamed up.

As far as the three you mention, I know them at varying degrees when it comes to their knowledge. Benny I have shot with at informal competition and he has help a couple years with the Woman on Target that I have done in Mankato and I have witnessed him working with the ladies. I do know personally and some of Gunny's military background, but beyond that, not much more. Goalie I know from the forum and what he posts, that is about all I really know about him. So with that said and to your question of if do I "really feel" that I have to run a standard for them, I say yes.

How about this, the Federal LEO's Safety Act of 2004 - HR 218 that I also do and I know a few others on this forum do. This class is for the retired LEO's with 15 or more years as a LEO. In the course outline that is from the state of Minnesota, the course covers when deadly force is justified and the situations and consideration as to determining the use of a firearm. Per the state outline, I am to cover this information with these 15 plus year veterans and I do because it is in the state course outline.

I have a question for you. You provide the required training that is needed to applying for a Minnesota drivers license. A local farm boy that you know has been driving a tractor for over 5 years, everyday of these five years to help his father keep the farm going. The kid can back up a wagon, not an easy feat, never had even had a close call on the farm you see him just about every week on the road & field operating farm equipment safely. Would you require him to go through you full drivers training program, or because of his background, just give him an a minimal course and sign off on him?

Maybe another angle that some have not thought of. I do a lot of training, more than what is listed on my web site, plus with the shooting I do and the family thing, I do not have time to double my permit classes. To present a minimal course for the renewals and a full course for the new applicants, I would have to basically double my permit courses. I do a minimum of 2 courses a month and it is not uncommon to do 3 or 4 permit class a month. So now to offer both, I would have to do a minimum of 4 permit classes a month and maybe up to 6 or 8? It ain't going to happen, I still have a full time job because I cannot make enough on my classes to support my family. To do more classes, I would have to quit my regular job and then I would have to probably charge more for my minimal renewal class than I do for my full class today to support my family and isn't that the whole issue some have, the price.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:46 pm 
Journeyman Member

cobb wrote:
Quote:
How about this, the Federal LEO's Safety Act of 2004 - HR 218 that I also do and I know a few others on this forum do. This class is for the retired LEO's with 15 or more years as a LEO. In the course outline that is from the state of Minnesota, the course covers when deadly force is justified and the situations and consideration as to determining the use of a firearm. Per the state outline, I am to cover this information with these 15 plus year veterans and I do because it is in the state course outline.

You are following the course outline as prescribed by the state, which of course you should. I'm saying what's wrong with a permit class that covers only that which is required in the statute?

As a somewhat different take on the farm kid getting a drivers license.
In Minnesota in order to get a motorcycle endorsement, you have to pass a written test and an actual driving course. You can go and take the written test and (with a passing score) get your permit, then you can go to the driver's exam station, take the driving course and (with a passing score) get the endorsement. Or - if you choose, you can get your permit and then take the (very good) rider skills course from the MMSF and the end of the course take the same drivers course you would get at the driver's exam station and get your endorsement.
while taking the skills course is a good thing and would not be a bad choice - it isn't legally required.

Quote:
Maybe another angle that some have not thought of. I do a lot of training, more than what is listed on my web site, plus with the shooting I do and the family thing, I do not have time to double my permit classes. To present a minimal course for the renewals and a full course for the new applicants, I would have to basically double my permit courses. I do a minimum of 2 courses a month and it is not uncommon to do 3 or 4 permit class a month. So now to offer both, I would have to do a minimum of 4 permit classes a month and maybe up to 6 or 8? It ain't going to happen, I still have a full time job because I cannot make enough on my classes to support my family. To do more classes, I would have to quit my regular job and then I would have to probably charge more for my minimal renewal class than I do for my full class today to support my family and isn't that the whole issue some have, the price.

I'm not, nor have I seen anyone else say, that you need to change anything that you're doing. By all means continue to teach you classes as you do - by all accounts I've heard, you do a good job, and a person who chose to take a class from you would not be making a bad choice.
However I don't see why a person who only wanted to teach the statutory mandated material should automatically be pilloried as being wrong or a substandard instructor.

Member-North American Hunting Club
Veteran - US Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:08 pm 
On time out

Two items of business.

First, I am carrying on this discussion with ALL DUE RESPECT to the others. I am NOT intending for anything I say here to be seen as anything other than constructive dialog. IF my tone or your reading of my intended tone, does not show that respect then I humbly apologize, and offer to buy you are beer as a token of regret.

Secondly. As a tag to that. Joel asked me to name names. I will not. Simply, I do not want to be seen as tearing anyone in specific down. This was a subject that got some people riled up. That was not my intention. I was hoping to get people thinking, but not anger them. I failed. sorry.
I would see naming some names particularly some who are not members to be unfair and a bit underhanded. I did not mean to imply that they did not teach a good course, but that some ( a very few in particular,) had an ego issue where they believed they had to show their superiority over students to maintain credibility.

I hope this is taken in the spirit it is written, and the readers understand I have issues regarding some facets of the way the instructor community has evolved into a body that seems to extend the limits of the law in a some what arbitrary way. I am not naming names, I am not pointing fingers at individuals, I am raising what I believe to be legitimate questions about the way the process has gone.

Thanks.

over

Post subject: Why I personally wanted to read this thread based on subject
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:55 pm 

I've been reading here for a while because I have wanted to see what it takes to get a carry permit etc. Being retired and younger than 62 with huge hits to retirement accounts (like everyone else) There is no way I could shell out the necessary bucks for the class, permit fees etc. Already own a couple of hand guns for about a zillion years which have not seen a lot of use lately.

Did a 14 year stint as a MN firearms safety instructor so I'm aware of the costs to keep up certifications etc although they are not as high as carry instructors. All 14 years where through the local school and done for free so as many kids as possible could afford to take the class. We charged $12 to cover the ammo etc. 6 weeks of 2-3 hours a week held twice a year plus out refreshers which where annual at that time. For you guys doing these for at least a partial living there is no way your classes can be done too cheaply if you want to come out ahead at all let alone with a decent profit.

I am really glad to see there is very little actual flaming going on even though there is some major disagreement on some of these subjects. Just wanted to commend all involved for this thread - lot learned and not burned.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:02 pm 
The Man

Cool. Welcome aboard, by the way, and thanks for a remarkably well-put first post.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:50 am 

Thanks, hopefully be a round for a while. Now to find that instructor that offers deep veteran discounts :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.