Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Sheriff elections 
 Post subject: Sheriff elections
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:32 pm 

In the thread from hell, there have been a number of insightful comments that have been, well, lost in the ensuing shouting.

Among these, Macx wrote:
How many of us are active in the election of Sheriffs? Maybe a commitment to serving the whole population with equal access to second amendment rights should be something someone could get elected on. . . or perhaps a commitment to protecting the upper classes' monopoly on 2A rights would be something that could get a Sheriff "un-elected".

Would any of the forum members with a better understanding of Minnesota politics care to comment on election of Sheriffs and the possibility of such campaigns becoming more issue-driven rather than being about tenure and incumbency?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:23 pm 

Well, one factor of note is that 80 percent of people in the metro don't care about gun politics one way or the other. Some just drive right by 2A issues for their favorites, and others aren't even aware that guns are a hot issue to a lot of people. If you explained to some people how large of an operation the NRA really is, well, it'd blow their minds. I think the remainder is pretty evenly split between the vehemently Anti, and us.

I don't how true that is for out-state; I haven't been here that long. But I'd bet money that awareness of all issues is much higher, and that the opinion numbers swing way into our camp the farther one gets outside the metro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:58 am 
Journeyman Member

Iowa is where you in Minnesota were 5-6 years ago.

Iowacarry.org is targeting sheriffs who refuse to honor the 'bear' part of "keep and bear", with some success. Iowa is discretionary may issue at the county sheriff's sole whim.

The legislature follows the typical political division.

Democrats in the legislature were brought on board under a fairness doctrine. ie. A permit issued in any county is valid state wide meaning a permitee can carry even in counties where the sheriff absolutely refuses to issue for any reason what-so-ever.

One county sheriff ran on a shall issue platform but then reneged after his election. He was excoriated for his change of heart and then did issue a smattering of permits with unusual restrictions. There is some evidence that interoffice politics played a role in the situation.

Upon his bid for reelection he again ran on a shall issue platform promising to do better. His opponent a deputy from the same office brow beat him unmercifully.

The sheriff was reelected by a slim count and has seen the light and is now truly shall issue, with none of the previous shenanigans with restrictions.

Other sheriffs are feeling the heat and are beginning to play fair.

The legislature is being lobbied by Iowa Carry but the economy has taken center stage with most everything else being ignored.

Our work is still ahead of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:09 am 
The Man

Yeah, but you're getting some results. Well done, for a beginning.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

Does one have to be POST certified to be elected Sheriff? Or because it is an elected position, anyone can run?

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:13 am 

Moby Clarke wrote:
Quote:
Does one have to be POST certified to be elected Sheriff? Or because it is an elected position, anyone can run?

15 - 20 years ago you did not need to be POST licensed to be elected. The law changed and now you do need to have the POST training done or be eligible to be certified within XX number of days or months.

Way back when (late 80's, early 90's) I was going to North Hennipen for Law Enforcement and had intentions of one day campaigning for Sheriff. Now I would need to go back and get POST training. My family and I have both decided that working daytime hours and arguing with Tree-huggers is much safer and not that much financially different.

Tex

"I disagree with what you say, but I would fight to the death for your right to say it." Voltaire

"I may not be allowed to eat the apples any more, but strolling through the orchard is certainly pleasant." Chunkstyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

Tex wrote:
Moby Clarke wrote:
Quote:

15 - 20 years ago you did not need to be POST licensed to be elected. The law changed and now you do need to have the POST training done or be eligible to be certified within XX number of days or months.

Way back when (late 80's, early 90's) I was going to North Hennipen for Law Enforcement and had intentions of one day campaigning for Sheriff. Now I would need to go back and get POST training. My family and I have both decided that working daytime hours and arguing with Tree-huggers is much safer and not that much financially different.

Tex

Yeah, but you're missing out on the ability to design a cool uniform, like Admiral Bling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:56 am 
Raving Moderate

You mean our very own Modern Major General Knight?

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:45 am 
Longtime Regular

That's the one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:48 pm 
On time out

Being that Col. Klink and Bud Olson both have offices in Chaska, I wonder if they ever meet for lunch. And if they do, I wonder if they discuss carry permits. Hmmm.........inquiring minds want to know :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:43 pm 
Gun-Toting Liberal

Good lord could he get anymore crow bait on that uniform?

"We are therefore persuaded that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment incorporates the Second Amendment and applies it against the states and local governments." Nordyke v. King 4/20/09

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:54 pm 

ScottM wrote:
Good lord could he get anymore crow bait on that uniform?

Ssshhhh...no one answer that.

HE MIGHT TRY

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:56 pm 
Raving Moderate

Considering the Minneapolis chief, with a FAR larger, more "important" department manages with just one:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:57 pm 
The Man

The picture is out of date. Scotty had to go to five stars; apparently they hired a secretary, and with that and thirteen sworn officers, he needed more shoulder hardware.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:21 am 
Raving Moderate

joelr wrote:
The picture is out of date. Scotty had to go to five stars; apparently they hired a secretary, and with that and thirteen sworn officers, he needed more shoulder hardware.

You are joking, right? :roll:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.