Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Change of Address, How to Notify Sheriff? 
 Post subject: Change of Address, How to Notify Sheriff?
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:55 pm 

I recently moved in Hennepin county and need to notify the Sheriff's office of my new address. Does anyone know how to notify them without going down to the office in person? Will they give me a new permit with my new address? The Hennepin county Sheriff issued my permit originally. I tried to search, but could not find anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:21 am 
Longtime Regular

http://www.hennepinsheriff.org/investig ... andgun.asp
Quote:
The application for information change may also be completed by mail. Applicant must complete, sign and mail in page 1 of the application along with their current permit and a copy of their current, valid identification reflecting the new information. Mail these items along with a check made payable to HCSO in the amount of $10.00 to:

Hennepin County Sheriff's Office
Permit to Carry
400 South 4th Street
Suite 600
Grain Exchange
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:50 am 
Longtime Regular

tepin wrote:
http://www.hennepinsheriff.org/investigativeservices/handgun.asp
Quote:
The application for information change may also be completed by mail. Applicant must complete, sign and mail in page 1 of the application along with their current permit and a copy of their current, valid identification reflecting the new information. Mail these items along with a check made payable to HCSO in the amount of $10.00 to:

Hennepin County Sheriff's Office
Permit to Carry
400 South 4th Street
Suite 600
Grain Exchange
Minneapolis, MN 55415

So, am I wrong in reading that one must mail their current permit in? :?

Or would a copy of it, along with all the other required information do?

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:11 am 
Forum Moderator

When in doubt, actually reading the law might prove useful:
---
Subd. 7a. Change of address; loss or destruction of
permit. (a) Within 30 days after changing permanent address,
or within 30 days of having lost or destroyed the permit card,
the permit holder must notify the issuing sheriff of the change,
loss, or destruction. Failure to provide notification as
required by this subdivision is a petty misdemeanor. The fine
for a first offense must not exceed $25. Notwithstanding
section 609.531, a firearm carried in violation of this
paragraph is not subject to forfeiture.

(b) After notice is given under paragraph (a), a permit
holder may obtain a replacement permit card by paying $10 to the
sheriff. The request for a replacement permit card must be made
on an official, standardized application adopted for this
purpose under section 624.7151, and, except in the case of an
address change, must include a notarized statement that the
permit card has been lost or destroyed.

---
Either follow what Hennepin County requests, even though it exceeds their authority; or simply send a letter. Do not send $10 with application for a replacement (unless you want a replacement card); do not send current permit.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Change of Address, How to Notify Sheriff?
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:29 am 
Longtime Regular

GG wrote:
I recently moved in Hennepin county and need to notify the Sheriff's office of my new address. Does anyone know how to notify them without going down to the office in person? Will they give me a new permit with my new address? The Hennepin county Sheriff issued my permit originally. I tried to search, but could not find anything.

Dear Sheriff Stanek,

I have a Minnesota Permit to Carry, number 12345, issued by your office on June 1, 2006. As required in MN Stat 624.714, Subd. 7a, I hereby notify you of my change of address. My new address is 123 Main St., Minneapolis, MN 55114.

Sincerely,
George G. Gonzales

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:39 am 
Longtime Regular

Hunter07 wrote:
So, am I wrong in reading that one must mail their current permit in?

Your reading is correct, but the information provided by the Hennepin County Sherriff's Office is just plain wrong and outside of the legal requirements. And people wonder why we have difficulties with the way police do business.

It's not a clerical error, it's a pattern of behavior.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:02 am 
The Man

DeanC wrote:
Hunter07 wrote:
So, am I wrong in reading that one must mail their current permit in?

Your reading is correct, but the information provided by the Hennepin County Sherriff's Office is just plain wrong and outside of the legal requirements. And people wonder why we have difficulties with the way police do business.

It's not a clerical error, it's a pattern of behavior.
Yup. And do let's remember that HennCo is, while not at the top (Sheriff Hutton's Washington County SO is clearly at least tied for the best), well above the average in this.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:02 pm 

Interesting. When I moved to Carver Co. from Douglas Co., I simply called in to Douglas Co. Sheriff and they told me they entered my request into the system and to mail a $10 check and it'll get applied to my request. I did so and received a confirmation letter and a new permit in the mail (same envelope, permit had new address) I never had to mail my old permit it, it was never mentioned.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:36 pm 

Why are people getting new permits when they move?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Gun shops often won't honor the carry permit as a purchase permit if the address thereon does not match the one on your license.

Jeff wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:30 pm 

Thanks for the info and the link. It really does not make sense to me that you have to send in your permit. However, during this time I still want to carry my pistol. I am considering making a photocopy of my permit to carry around with me while I wait for my new permit. Would you guys recommend that, or should I just not carry my pistol? What have you guys done in this situation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:44 pm 
1911 tainted

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Gun shops often won't honor the carry permit as a purchase permit if the address thereon does not match the one on your license.
Jeff wrote:

As Andrew posted.....

Not required by law to get a new Minnesota permit when you change address, such as you would do for your driver's license because you moved, you just need to inform the issuing county Sheriff of the change of address for your permit. But a dealer/FFL will not honor your Minnesota permit to carry for a transfer or a purchase of a handgun if the information on your Minnesota permit to carry does not match your new and updated Minnesota photo identification, such as your drivers license.

I suggest that if you do move, inform the issuing sheriff and apply for the change of your Minnesota permit to carry when you update the address on your new Minnesota drivers license.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:52 pm 
The Man

Alternately, you could simply apply for a Permit To Purchase when you change your D/L address -- doesn't cost anything, after all.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:49 am 
Longtime Regular

GG wrote:
Thanks for the info and the link. It really does not make sense to me that you have to send in your permit. However, during this time I still want to carry my pistol. I am considering making a photocopy of my permit to carry around with me while I wait for my new permit. Would you guys recommend that, or should I just not carry my pistol? What have you guys done in this situation?

Don't send them your permit. You don't have to. See above.

Send them the photocopy and your $10. If they hassle you, (which they won't) come back here and ask for advice.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:08 am 
The Man

DeanC wrote:
GG wrote:

Don't send them your permit. You don't have to. See above.

Send them the photocopy and your $10. If they hassle you, (which they won't) come back here and ask for advice.
You know, if you keep giving good, solid, short advice like that, you just might get stuck with an admin flag here, and -- oh. Nevermind.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.