Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Loaded guns in national parks 
 Post subject: Loaded guns in national parks
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:58 am 

Senate Backs Allowing Loaded Guns in National Parks, Jeopardizing Credit Card Reform
Republican Sen. Tom Coburn of Oklahoma sponsored the amendment, which would restore a Bush administration policy allowing loaded guns in national parks.
By Trish Turner

FOXNews.com

Tuesday, May 12, 2009
WASHINGTON -- The Senate on Tuesday voted in favor of a measure, 67-29, that would allow Americans to carry firearms in national parks, if their state laws permit them to possess a gun, with 27 Democrats voting in support.

But because the measure was passed as an amendment to a broader bill seeking reform of the credit card industry, the move jeopardizes the reform bill, whose lead sponsor, Sen. Chris Dodd, opposed the firearm amendment.

The amendment was sponsored by Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., who has been fighting for some time for the measure. Dodd, a Connecticut Democrat, voted against the Coburn amendment.

Dodd voiced concern that, as amended, his credit card reform bill could meet the same fate as the D.C. voting rights bill, which was sidelined in the House when it was amended to allow residents of the District of Columbia to carry guns.

The Coburn amendment to the credit card bill would allow states to determine whether or not legal gun owners can carry guns in state and national parks. It prohibits the Department of Interior secretary from making any rule or enforcing any regulation that goes against that determination.

Coburn cited statistics, including 41 rapes, 92 robberies, 16 kidnappings and 5,944 other felony violations taking place in national parks last year.

"Even though parks are relatively safe, oftentimes the best deterrent is for criminals to know someone else might also have a gun," Coburn said.

Sen. Jim Webb, D-Va., who became a nationally-known gun owner after an aide was detained for inadvertently carrying the senator's gun into a Capitol office building, spoke in favor of the amendment.

"It doesn't mean you can go hunting. It doesn't mean a 12-year-old can carry a gun" into a park, he said, adding that current law leaves means there is a risk of arrest for gun carriers who simply travel down a highway that might skirt or cut through a park, as happens in Virginia and other states.

No Democrat has spoken against the broader credit card reform bill. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada voted in favor of the amendment, though he warned senators afterward not to introduce any more unrelated amendments to the credit card legislation. Seven of the supportive Democrats are up for re-election in 2010, including Reid.

Dodd said it is possible, if the bill passes the Senate with the Coburn amendment, it still could be dropped in negotiations with the House over the different versions of the legislation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:27 am 
Longtime Regular

Sweet.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:43 pm 
Poet Laureate

Quote:
when it was amended to allow residents of the District of Columbia to carry guns

Wha...?
When was that, again? Has hell frozen over?

Oh wait: just more journalism at it's best. :roll:
For the press, aspiring to mediocrity is a lofty goal. I suppose I shouldn't be so hard on them for not reporting... truth and fact. They do have to sell news, after all, even if it's made up or wrong...

Post subject: Guns in national parks "oh, the terror"
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:30 pm 

An article about future carry in Glacier National Park. Much pointless drivel about all the potential carnage that will ensue:

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/articles/2009/05/31/opinion/editorials/editorials_8756258367_01.txt

Quote:
Glacier Superintendent Chas Cartwright is rightly concerned about the reality that many of Glacier Park's thousands of summer visitors, from places far away, won't know the difference [that you can shoot recreationally outside the park but not in its boundaries].

He's rightly concerned about how a gun-toting visitor might react to seeing a grizzly bear near one of Glacier's trails, or what they might do if they hear a strange noise outside their tent in one of the park's jam-packed campgrounds.

Yes, because that type of irresponsible weapons discharge is so common in other nature areas and campgrounds that are not part of a national park! :roll:

BB

Post subject: Re: Loaded guns in national parks
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:16 am 
Journeyman Member

One thing that I have not heard yet in response to those who think that National Parks will suddenly become unsafe is this: The current ban was enacted in 1986 (or was it '88?). That means that from the founding of the park system in the early part of the 20th century to 1988 or so there were no rules against carrying in national parks.

In Minnesota and many other states there were no rules preventing carry until the 1970s, so from when the state was first settled to the 1970s (approximately 100 years, give or take) people could carry openly or concealed and the streets did not turn into Wild West shootouts.

So, given the fact that "loaded, concealed weapons" were allowed in national parks and most states for several decades without incident, why would you expect anything to change now? People have a short (and selective) memory, it seems.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:19 am 

People have a short (and selective) memory, it seems.

And that pretty much sums up a LOT of the problems of today

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:16 am 

Here is a local for me twist.

http://dragonflydezignz.50megs.com/no-g ... econd.html
Quote:
If as I suspect federal rules over-rule then this means that Sundancers will not feel safe making their prayers because one of the visitors could be concealing a weapon and may just shoot them. It is ludicrous.

MODERATOR MESSAGE:
I fixed it this time, but when you copy a link from another forum with "..." in the middle, it will be broken here. Next time, right click on it and copy the link that way.

- Andrew Rothman, Forum Moderator

Last edited by DevoBill on Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
If as I suspect federal rules over-rule then this means that Sundancers will not feel safe making their prayers because one of the visitors could be concealing a weapon and may just shoot them. It is ludicrous.

Guns belong to Warrior's, but the Pipestone National Monument is not a battle-field, it is a Church, the Church of the Native American People, and weapons do NOT belong there. Would you take a loaded gun into your Church?

If I went into a church, then hell, yes. Sometime bad people walk into churches looking to kill a bunch of peaceful people. I'd rather that the good guys not all be disarmed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Quote:

Guns belong to Warrior's, but the Pipestone National Monument is not a battle-field, it is a Church, the Church of the Native American People, and weapons do NOT belong there. Would you take a loaded gun into your Church?

If I went into a church, then hell, yes. Sometime bad people walk into churches looking to kill a bunch of peaceful people. I'd rather that the good guys not all be disarmed.

A huge +1.

I absolutely carry in church. I happen to attend a church that would be considered a "mega-church" in terms of numbers and size, and the pastor is very well-known internationally. Too many chances for something to go sideways, as recent events prove all too well.

I've also counted at least three different ushers with the tell-tale Kel-Tec clip on a pocket or waistband.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.