Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:01 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Change of Address, How to Notify Sheriff? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:02 am 
Raving Moderate

joelr wrote:
DeanC wrote:
GG wrote:
Thanks for the info and the link. It really does not make sense to me that you have to send in your permit. However, during this time I still want to carry my pistol. I am considering making a photocopy of my permit to carry around with me while I wait for my new permit. Would you guys recommend that, or should I just not carry my pistol? What have you guys done in this situation?

Don't send them your permit. You don't have to. See above.

Send them the photocopy and your $10. If they hassle you, (which they won't) come back here and ask for advice.
You know, if you keep giving good, solid, short advice like that, you just might get stuck with an admin flag here, and -- oh. Nevermind.

:lol: :lol:

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:42 pm 

FWIW, when I moved from Kandiyohi to McLeod county a couple years ago, I just stopped by the Kandiyohi SO and showed them a copy of my (temp) DL w/new address; they sent me a new permit in the mail (gratis!), and had me mail them the old one (even provided a SASE).

No fuss, no muss, I kinda figured.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

Cuda66 wrote:
FWIW, when I moved from Kandiyohi to McLeod county a couple years ago, I just stopped by the Kandiyohi SO and showed them a copy of my (temp) DL w/new address; they sent me a new permit in the mail (gratis!), and had me mail them the old one (even provided a SASE).

No fuss, no muss, I kinda figured.

As it should be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:44 am 
Longtime Regular

Just be sure not to photcopy the $10 :D

DeanC wrote:
GG wrote:
Thanks for the info and the link. It really does not make sense to me that you have to send in your permit. However, during this time I still want to carry my pistol. I am considering making a photocopy of my permit to carry around with me while I wait for my new permit. Would you guys recommend that, or should I just not carry my pistol? What have you guys done in this situation?

Don't send them your permit. You don't have to. See above.

Send them the photocopy and your $10. If they hassle you, (which they won't) come back here and ask for advice.

Post subject: Re: Change of Address, How to Notify Sheriff? UPDATE
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:42 pm 

So I sent my $10, change of address form, copy of drivers license, and copy of carry permit to the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office. I promptly received a letter from the HCSO stating that the copy of the carry permit was not good enough and that I needed to send my actual carry permit in with the other materials. So that is what I am going to do. I will be sending in the actual permit and carrying the copy of the permit with me until I get my new permit with my new address. Just so everyone knows, in Hennepin County you will need to send in your actual permit, or go to the office in person.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

GG wrote:
So I sent my $10, change of address form, copy of drivers license, and copy of carry permit to the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office. I promptly received a letter from the HCSO stating that the copy of the carry permit was not good enough and that I needed to send my actual carry permit in with the other materials. So that is what I am going to do. I will be sending in the actual permit and carrying the copy of the permit with me until I get my new permit with my new address. Just so everyone knows, in Hennepin County you will need to send in your actual permit, or go to the office in person.

Not sure what it's going to take to change that. Probably somebody who can say IAAL changing their address.

Make sure you've got a lawyer's card in your wallet along with that copy in case you get stopped by an officer who wants to see how fast a court can spank them, but you are in the right.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Change of Address, How to Notify Sheriff?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Don't send in you original permit. They are effing with you and breaking the law. Hold on until Monday and I'm sure we'll get you some help. PM me or Andrew or Joel and we'll get you on the right track if you can't sit on your hands until Monday.

Sunzabitches!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

And actually, according to the law, you only need to notify the SHARIF of your address change. You don't have to get a new permit legally.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:53 pm 

DeanC wrote:
Don't send in you original permit. They are effing with you and breaking the law. Hold on until Monday and I'm sure we'll get you some help. PM me or Andrew or Joel and we'll get you on the right track if you can't sit on your hands until Monday.

Sunzabitches!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

And actually, according to the law, you only need to notify the SHARIF of your address change. You don't have to get a new permit legally.

PLEASE let us know what solution(s) you come up with. I will be moving within Hennepin County later this summer and I'd like to get the new permit as painlessly as possible.

"It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:41 am 
Longtime Regular

Sure thing JGalt.

It would seem that if you just told them you lost your permit card then they can't force you to send it in or make you re-apply. But, that would be lying. And we shouldn't have to lie to a government that is supposed to be serving us to make it comply with the law.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

I did an address change today. I went into the Ramsey county sheriff's office un-armed because of the metal detectors. The $6.50/hr ninja (doing a fine job detectin metal I might add) told me to go to the "Gun Window" (yes, it's an actual bullet proof window with a paper pass slot on the bottom.) I told the lady behind the window that I had recently moved and needed to notify the sheriff.

She told me, "Fill this out, give me your permit and yellow drivers licence paper."
"Ok." I filled out and turned back in the piece of paper with my new address and signature.
She came back about 2 mins later with my DL paper and 2 permits... Strange, I thought. "That'll be $10"
I inquired, "That fee is for a new permit...?" I had intended on asking for an updated permit after doing the notification dance, but she just did it on her own. I was a little irked.
"Yeah. Make sure everything is right on it." She said handing me the brand new permit.

New permit in hand I found myself un-armed in a parking lot with 3 urban youth (dressed in their finest "Sean Jean, and Ecko, belts loosened to knee level" atire) waiting around for their buddies' court hearings to be done. Not a good feeling.

Though, I wanted to change the address on my permit. The assumption was made, by her, that by me saying ,"I need to notify the sheriff" meant: I want to give you $10 for a new permit. That isn't what I asked her for. Now, Im sure that if I hadn't wanted the new permit I could have made a stink about it. I'm not sure what that would have lead to. My questoning her about what the $10 was for seemed to reveal that she knew the difference, but I'm about 75% sure about that.

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:53 pm 
Poet Laureate

GG wrote:
So I sent my $10, change of address form, copy of drivers license, and copy of carry permit to the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office. I promptly received a letter from the HCSO stating that the copy of the carry permit was not good enough and that I needed to send my actual carry permit in with the other materials. So that is what I am going to do.

Baaaaaaaa. BAAAAAAAAAAA!!
Where is the sheep emoticon? :lol:

This kind of thing makes me wonder how many real Americans are left in America. :cry:

GG, I will post a thread requiring you to jump six feet straight up in the air, and to then have it documented and notarized with a signatory witness attesting to the fact that you have accomplished the task. I will require the actual signed and notary stamped copy. If you send me a photocopy, I will then send you a letter stating that is insufficient, and demand the original. Do not even think about not jumping after I have told you that it must be done, and that it will be to a height of 6 feet.

Do you see any difference between my request and HCSO's?
If not, I look forward to your paperwork...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Carbide Insert wrote:

:lol: Actually I don't. They are both stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:30 am 

kecker wrote:
Carbide Insert wrote:

So, this qualifies Carbide to be Sheriff of Nottingham, er, Hennipen County? :lol:

To expect bad men not to do wrong is madness, for he who expects this desires an impossiblity. But to allow men to behave so to others and expect them not to do thee any wrong is irrational and tyranical. Marcus Aurelius

I won't mind if you call me a racist. And I'm sure YOU won't mind if I call you a target of opportunity.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:07 am 

It just irks me when people who's job it is to uphold the law feel the need, and think they can, change the law!! I know, I know, preaching to the choir. :x :x

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

boomingmetropolis wrote:
kecker wrote:
Carbide Insert wrote:

So, this qualifies Carbide to be Sheriff of Nottingham, er, Hennipen County? :lol:

Well he's already Poet Laureate...I suspect Sheriff would be a downgrade.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.