Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:22 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 "Clean Up The Neighborhood" Gathering 
 Post subject: Re: "Clean Up The Neighborhood" Gathering
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:13 pm 
Journeyman Member

i think that if something along this line were done in the north metro that i might even travel down to it. say, how about in friendly Brooklyn park?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:09 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
I don't think it's an either/or proposition: either we have fun activities like picnics, or we have volunteer events.

We can do both. Variety is good, and each has its place. Volunteer events can also be fun, even though work may be involved.

I agree 100%, what I was getting at, is rather that things like adopt a highway require an organization name to put on the sign & we'd be better served as a non-organization by taking a more flash mob* approach. We show up, clean a neighborhood. .. maybe still be working when and if media shows up but "be casper" before the anti's can mobilize to come protest us & undoubtly get more airtime with their message. I do very much want to do this, I just want to make sure we do it in a way that serves our cause & not the anti's. I guess on the adopt a highway thing I am envisioning Heather and co. petitioning to get that terrible violence promoting sign taken down & getting more media attention out of protesting our adopt a highway sign than we get for having one. I think we could go in, clean a grid of several city blocks, and be done before it hit the news & the anti's aren't likely to know about it until the news tells 'em. Random neighborhoods, again and again. . . . I can see this as being a very good thing & hard to get twisted up by the other agenda.

*From the wiki:
Quote:
A flash mob (or flashmob[1]) is a large group of people who assemble suddenly in a public place, perform an unusual action for a brief time, then quickly disperse. The term flash mob is generally applied only to gatherings organized via social media or viral emails.[citation needed] The term is generally not applied to events organized by public relations firms or as publicity stunts.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:23 am 

Saunassa wrote:
say, how about in friendly Brooklyn park?

Clean up my 'hood? Sure! Count me in.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

Macx wrote:
I do very much want to do this, I just want to make sure we do it in a way that serves our cause & not the anti's. I guess on the adopt a highway thing I am envisioning Heather and co. petitioning to get that terrible violence promoting sign taken down & getting more media attention out of protesting our adopt a highway sign than we get for having one.

I strongly disagree. I want the sign there day in and day out, and Heather doesn't have the power to get a couple dozen people together to eat burgers, let alone get a sign taken down.

We don't need to be sneaky. We're the good guys.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:53 am 
Longtime Regular

Why can't both work?

First, Adopt a Highway participation is is not mutually exclusive with flash-mob cleanups.

Second, MN's Adopt a Highway doesn't require a formal organization. According to this, groups just need a representative to sign on behalf of the group. Perhaps I'm wrong, but the only issues would be picking a name for the group and a representative. Something like "Just a Group of MN Carry Permit Holders" or even "Just a Group of Gun Rights Enthusiasts" would serve the purpose without affiliating with TCC. As for the representative, that would be a bit more tricky. It would need to be someone who was willing to take on the role for at least two years but also well enough vetted amongst the people willing to participate to be trustworthy enough to not unlist the sign prematurely or abuse any other power they might have as the representative. I'm not sure the representative has any power; my guess is they're just the person who will be nagged by the government if the section of highway is not kept clean enough.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

ree wrote:
Why can't both work?

First, Adopt a Highway participation is is not mutually exclusive with flash-mob cleanups.

Second, MN's Adopt a Highway doesn't require a formal organization. According to this, groups just need a representative to sign on behalf of the group. Perhaps I'm wrong, but the only issues would be picking a name for the group and a representative. Something like "Just a Group of MN Carry Permit Holders" or even "Just a Group of Gun Rights Enthusiasts" would serve the purpose without affiliating with TCC. As for the representative, that would be a bit more tricky. It would need to be someone who was willing to take on the role for at least two years but also well enough vetted amongst the people willing to participate to be trustworthy enough to not unlist the sign prematurely or abuse any other power they might have as the representative. I'm not sure the representative has any power; my guess is they're just the person who will be nagged by the government if the section of highway is not kept clean enough.

Was that the sound of you volunteering, ree?

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

chunkstyle wrote:
Was that the sound of you volunteering, ree?

I saw that coming when I pressed Submit. 8)

Anyhow, I'll volunteer to at least start the process for Adopt a Highway. I called the metro area Adopt a Highway rep and she confirmed that an informal group can indeed adopt a highway segment. She's snail-mailing me a program packet which has application forms and will be emailing me the available segments in the metro area later today. More later.

That said, there's obviously no reason that this has to be limited to the Twin Cities area. That's just where I live, and we have a healthy density of people who would likely be interested in doing in here in town. So if you live "outstate," by all means consider volunteering to do it there too.

More opinions on a "group" name?
Quote:
The sign legend is the name of your group only, not its message. It is limited to two lines of 16-18 characters, including spaces and punctuation.

I believe they mean each line will get up to 16-18, and whether you can fit 16 or 18 depends on the proportionally-sized letters' widths.

For example:

A Group of Carry (16)
Permit Holders (14)

or

Have Carry Permit, (18)
Will Clean Highway (18)

would probably work. And it should obviously be something that doesn't aggravate the government's discretionary filters, whomever they may be.

Submit your ideas.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

Twin Cities Carry
Permit Holders

Minnesota Gun
Rights Gathering

The Gun Guys

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

Whichever one of these ideas gets pushed forward, count me in.

I am still jazzed about the idea of a flashmob neighborhood thing.

A thought on the adopt a highyway: Think we could get a stretch of like . . . Egan Dr. near Ewing Ave S. or W. Broadway between Lowry and Crystal Lake?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:43 pm 

You know what, count me in for the time being. Here something I made dicking around. I'll maybe make up some more tonight. Suggestions open.

(Note: Next one will follow the character rules.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:02 pm 

I like this one best

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:08 pm 
Journeyman Member

Also August 4th is the Night to Unite Aka National Night Out. It might be a great way to do it with out spending money and getting local influence on the issue through out your neighborhood. My neighbor open carries at that just to build conversation about Permit to Carry, I believe it works fairly well in my neighborhood. What do you think about that?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

That's what I did last year, and will do again tomorrow.

jawi0501 wrote:
Also August 4th is the Night to Unite Aka National Night Out. It might be a great way to do it with out spending money and getting local influence on the issue through out your neighborhood. My neighbor open carries at that just to build conversation about Permit to Carry, I believe it works fairly well in my neighborhood. What do you think about that?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

FYI, for those who haven't seen (not checking the Gatherings subforum), I've adopted a section road on "our" behalf. A number of us are planning to do a first pickup on Sunday 10/25/09. More details here if you're interested.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:21 pm 

good places to clean up are around mall parking lots. when i was going to the alternative highschool in redwing we organized an entire day where all of us students cleaned up a couple miles of the bike trail and also the grassy areas of the red wing mall parking lot.

i think the best time for doing the cleanup is in the spring after the snow melts and things start to dry out. that seems to be when the most garbage needs to be cleaned up. alot of trash gets lost in the snow and buried only to reappear in huge amounts in the spring.

depending on when and where this is done i would probably be willing to attend.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.