Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Anybody reload in an apartment? 
 Post subject: Re: Anybody reload in an apartment?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

Mark, I reload all of those calibers and more on a single-stage press mounted to the same generic-ass-made-in-China-POS bench that Dean has. In fact, I got the idea from him. Thanks, Dean!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

Here was my take on a reloading bench. needs finishing yet. Not quite the answer in an apartment though, unless you don't mind throwing your bed out the window to make room for it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:59 pm 

As Dean C.said,the straight walled pistol, no problem. See how it goes with the 223, you may need something sturdier.
I am a big advocate of reloading. I think anybody with an interest in guns should have a basic set-up and a basic knowledge for it. Mark, be sure to get a manual or two. I am partial to lymans.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

nframe wrote:
As Dean C.said,the straight walled pistol, no problem. See how it goes with the 223, you may need something sturdier.
I am a big advocate of reloading. I think anybody with an interest in guns should have a basic set-up and a basic knowledge for it. Mark, be sure to get a manual or two. I am partial to lymans.

Yeah, I'm thinking some reading is in my near future...Lymans, any others I should be picking up?

Thanks,

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

The ABC's of Reloading

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:36 am 

Yeah, I started out reloading 9mm ammo in an apartment closet 37 years ago with a Lee Loading kit that cost $7.56, and turned out THOUSANDS of rounds of 9mm and then 45 ammo with that system. Yeah, it took a while, but I was a newlywed and damn near broke, and back then there was no such thing as bulk ammo. It all came in boxes of 50, and generally you got to choose between Remington, Winchester, and Norma for the metric stuff. That was IT, period!

Quite frankly, unless you are a complete idiot and smoke while you are measuring out powder charges, the actual process of reloading is quite low risk. About the only thing that can really happen is to have a tube full of primers go off, and I quit using primer tubes in favor of a Lee Autoprime 30 years ago.

The REAL risk is SHOOTING your handloaded ammo, and this is where any screw-up on your part can cost you big time. But you will be at the range and not in your apartment, so it's not a rental issue.

As a matter of fact, I still have the same reloading bench I started out with in that apartment closet. Made it out of Unistrut and 2 x 12's, and you can unbolt it and take it apart to move it if you have to. Obviously, I have MUCH more space now, as well as relevant handloading artwork to go with!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:41 pm 

Reloading doesn't have to be exotic. I've loaded .223 with my press clamped to an end table in the living room. I don't remember why, but it must have seemed like the thing to do at the time. I've also cast bullets in the kitchen, but that was back when lead wasn't that bad for you. I haven't cleaned brass in the bath tub yet, but I might have to try it. If only to say I have.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:01 am 
Longtime Regular

cdl wrote:
but that was back when lead wasn't that bad for you

LMAO!!!!

Amazing how much more dangerous life is now than it used to be.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:27 pm 
First-time poster

I have used a Lee Handpress for 45 with good results, it's just kind of slow. You don't need a bench at all if you use one of those. Also, somewhere on surplusrifle.com is an article about a guy who used a rock polisher from Harbor Freight to clean his brass. Never tried it myself, but always thought it might be a really good way of doing it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

bkfast wrote:
I have used a Lee Handpress for 45 with good results, it's just kind of slow. You don't need a bench at all if you use one of those. Also, somewhere on surplusrifle.com is an article about a guy who used a rock polisher from Harbor Freight to clean his brass. Never tried it myself, but always thought it might be a really good way of doing it.

I've been searching the net, and yeah, a rock tumbler looks to be a great and cheap way to go. From a different forum:

Quote:
I've been using an old Thumbler's Tumbler for years... and it was old as heck when I bought it off eBay! Frankly, I don't see any need to buy a "real" brass polisher as long as this one holds up, which I expect it to do for many more years. In fact, I had a conversation with a friend of mine who had the same tumbler for years until it got soaked when his roof sprung a leak in a rainstorm. He's since been through three vibratory tumblers since and wishes that he'd just bought himself another Thumbler's.

For tumbling media, go to a pet store and by some "Desert Blend" lizard litter; it's the exact same crushed walnuts you'd buy at a gun store for twice the cost. Fill your cannister about 1/3 with media, 1/3 with brass, and tumble away. fyi, When the media is new, it's a deep brown color; you only need to change it out when it turns grey.

I'll have to give it a try. Gonna shoot through a bunch of stuff this Saturday, so I'll have plenty to polish up. :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

The Thumler's are nice, but spendy. I used the Harbor Freight one for many rounds.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:09 am 

I haven't been to the range in about a month, nor have I done any reloading during that time. I plan to hit BPR tomorrow AM and dust off the J frame for a change (need to align the CT grips) and of course endear myself to the other patrons with the .44.

I miss reloading...........

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.