Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 How do MN Police Officers ID carry permit holders? 
 Post subject: Re: How do MN Police Officers ID carry permit holders?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:44 am 
Longtime Regular

In most cases, I wouldn't give them anymore info than what I was asked. However, I carry my P226 right next to my wallet with my DL in it. I would want the officer to know I am reaching for my wallet and not my firearm.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

I don't always ask people I meet during traffic stops...Now that it's hunting season, I will more often ask if there are any firearms in the cab of the vehicle...I can't wait to see my first uncased shotgun or rifle. It'll be a good conversation starter.

I had a guy from another state volunteer his permit status when I stopped to help him last week (he looked lost). His revolver was holstered in his glovebox.

But it's not really the permitted people I worry about. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:01 pm 
The Man

Yeah, but that isn't because you're smart (although you are), but because you're not an idiot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

The Po-leeese ID you via your shiney gold painted CCW Badge. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:06 pm 

I agree with 100% truthly answer and offer nothing, however.

Last fall I was stopped for bad trailer light, and the officer(i think it was wright county) wanted me to step out of the car to see it. I had removed my pull over sweater in the car and was just wearing a shirt tucked into my slacks, so I was not concealed.

At that point I told the officer that I was a permit holder and was carrying, how did he want to proceed.

He said no trouble, thanks for mentioning it, and just step out and please don't unholster. The light had a loose wire, which I fixed as he waited. We chated about pistols for about 10 minutes and he told me to have safe drive home.

He did like my holster, and the loaded springer in it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:05 pm 

Sean Reagan wrote:
the field in his computer labeled "DNR Firearms Training" (Y or N)

This used to just say "Firearms Training: Y/N" until something like 6 months to a year after the carry law was changed. The "firearms" verbiage was causing a lot of confusion in the law enforcement community, so the "DNR" was added to clarify it had nothing to do with carry permits.

Apparently that clarification didn't work on your buddy :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:33 pm 

Thanks everyone! I read the old thread and learned a lot also. It's my nature to be up front. I think I will continue to notify any officer first and ask how they want to proceed. I think if I were an officer that I would want to know who had what on board if I had pulled them over, especially a gun. I also think that honesty is a basic form of respect and personal integrity, whether one deserves it or not. I have always had very curteous and positive experiences with LEO's.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

Good luck with that.

I think eventually you'll run into a bully who decides to make trouble for you for exercising your rights.

alyx wrote:
Thanks everyone! I read the old thread and learned a lot also. It's my nature to be up front. I think I will continue to notify any officer first and ask how they want to proceed. I think if I were an officer that I would want to know who had what on board if I had pulled them over, especially a gun. I also think that honesty is a basic form of respect and personal integrity, whether one deserves it or not. I have always had very curteous and positive experiences with LEO's.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

alyx wrote:
I also think that honesty is a basic form of respect and personal integrity, whether one deserves it or not. I have always had very curteous and positive experiences with LEO's.

I agree with your take on honesty being a basic form of respect and personal integrity (very well put, btw), but to not volunteer that you're carrying is not being dishonest. I have no problem with a person volunteering the info, but I don't believe that it's honesty at issue here.
'

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

When you're pulled over, remember it's the LEO that stopped YOU. You didn't invite HIM. Ask WHY you were stopped, (unless it obvious, like you went in the ditch), and give him your driver's license. Don't chat about something in the glove compartment unless he is going to see it.

Reread what Andrew said. Just be businesslike, it's not a congeniality contest. It must be tiring for an LEO to see so much phoney friendlyness from folks whose day they are going to wreck.

I recently went in the glove compartment to get paperwork for a guy who stopped me. I told him I was going to open the glove door first, and he shined his light. At that point, if a gun was also in the glove compartment, I would have informed him. But as it happened, my gun was in the center compartment, so we didn't have to waste time with that conversation. Personally, I've never been stopped by a cop I wanted to date. :lol:

So, maybe keep my insurance papers and registration in the glove compartment and my gun in the center counsole in case that happens again?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:07 am 

Dick Unger wrote:
So, maybe keep my insurance papers and registration in the glove compartment and my gun in the center counsole in case that happens again?

That'd keep the gun closer than the glove box, in case you DID need it in another instance, so I'd probably go for that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:49 am 
The Man

Dick Unger wrote:
When you're pulled over, remember it's the LEO that stopped YOU. You didn't invite HIM. Ask WHY you were stopped, (unless it obvious, like you went in the ditch), and give him your driver's license. Don't chat about something in the glove compartment unless he is going to see it.

Reread what Andrew said. Just be businesslike, it's not a congeniality contest. It must be tiring for an LEO to see so much phoney friendlyness from folks whose day they are going to wreck.

I recently went in the glove compartment to get paperwork for a guy who stopped me. I told him I was going to open the glove door first, and he shined his light. At that point, if a gun was also in the glove compartment, I would have informed him. But as it happened, my gun was in the center compartment, so we didn't have to waste time with that conversation. Personally, I've never been stopped by a cop I wanted to date. :lol:
I've met a couple of very cute cops, but even if I were into the whole dating thing (I'm not; my wife would likely object) I doubt that getting pulled over is a great way to meet babes.

That aside: yup.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:24 am 
Longtime Regular

This is a great opportunity to remind people of these videos linked in the Reference Section.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:40 am 

A cop friend of mine said the same thing most of you are saying. If he doesn't need to know, don't volunteer it.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.